50+ or 2 stroke?

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
Im only gonna say this once. This thread is not about what classes should or shouldnt be at our Battle for Ohio. This is a simple question. If you had a choice of 50+ or a 2 stroke only class, which would you run as a promotor? Only one can happen. Im not debating why only one, I just want to put it to a vote; 50+ or 2 stroke. So, keep it on track.

Im only gonna say this once. This thread is not about what classes should or shouldnt be at our Battle for Ohio. This is a simple question. If you had a choice of 50+ or a 2 stroke only class, which would you run as a promotor? Only one can happen. Im not debating why only one, I just want to put it to a vote; 50+ or 2 stroke. So, keep it on track.

Hmmmm... That's gonna be a hot topic. I like 2 strokes. I like old guys too. Ok, that sounded weird. I would love to see a full gate of the smokers, music to my ears.

50+ in a perfect world, the 2 stroke guys go fast on them any way and could race them in another class. But Im with Pit, not enough will show.

Although at Amherst there didnt seem to be an abundance of fast 2 stroke guys racing when I was there a couple weeks ago. Might be a toss up. Can you look at results in D11 like you can CRA ? Sift through this years races and check class registration #'s. That should make your choice easy.

From a promoter stand point for your 1st Battle of Ohio race, I'd agree with Pitracer. You would have plenty of 125, 144, and 250cc 2 strokes to fill a gate, but would definitely not have a full gate of +50 racers at your track for the Battle of Ohio. Your A/B track has a reputation of being a bit "jumpy" and "difficult" which are 2 things that don't go over well with the entire +50 crowd and that would cause attendance to be low in that class. And I'm not saying that to slight any +50 rider that regularly rides BC, just stating the facts for biggest class possible for JO on his attendance.

I'd agree that the 2-stroke class would be better attended. Hershey, most D11 tracks don't run either class, from what I've seen.

I'd run 50+. But then again I'm 49 1/2 and turning 50 in Sept. I 'm actually comtemplating running some CRA at Malverne, which is a three hour drive for me, next year on Saturday nights. 50+ still isn't slow. There are some fast old dudes! I don't know how they do it. I learned last night Matt Robinson turns 40 in 4 months, so there goes that class. Now it'll be who's running for 2nd! (Plus one of us will have to change our number, probably me 'cause I'm slower!)

From a promoter stand point for your 1st Battle of Ohio race, I'd agree with Pitracer. You would have plenty of 125, 144, and 250cc 2 strokes to fill a gate, but would definitely not have a full gate of +50 racers at your track for the Battle of Ohio. Your A/B track has a reputation of being a bit "jumpy" and "difficult" which are 2 things that don't go over well with the entire +50 crowd and that would cause attendance to be low in that class. And I'm not saying that to slight any +50 rider that regularly rides BC, just stating the facts for biggest class possible for JO on his attendance.

x2

Ya only get one choice? And you want us to think like a promoter?....Ok, ..

Simple math says 2-stroke should be a larger class simply because anyone from 18 thru 80 years old could be eligible.

But, let’s look at from another perspective other than simply what class would be larger.
I don’t think one single guy that puts oil in their gas will stay home because you don’t have a 2-stroke only class…..but there will be guys that stay home if you don’t have a class they feel comfortable in…

So, the 2-stroke class MAY have more entries ….but a +50 class would bring in another group of riders……And who knows, some of them may even be on two strokes.

So, what is better for a promoter?….a one time, big class for guys that are already there and happen to have a 2-stroke.
Or….a second, totally separate group of guys that may experience BC for the first time…

Simple math says 2-stroke should be a larger class simply because anyone from 18 thru 80 years old could be eligible.
But, let’s look at from another perspective other than simply what class would be larger.
I don’t think one single guy that puts oil in their gas will stay home because you don’t have a 2-stroke only class…..but there will be guys that stay home if you don’t have a class they feel comfortable in…
So, the 2-stroke class MAY have more entries ….but a +50 class would bring in another group of riders……And who knows, some of them may even be on two strokes.

That is a concern of mine. I dont want the 50+ crowd to stay home, because they feel out of place in 40+, and Im extremely skeptical on whether or not we will get enough 2 strokes to make it worth while.

What are the classes going to be?

I will have a list at the end of the week.

Georgie - We already have plans to stagger stagger stagger. Possibly 30+c, I guess. I guess my thoughts are that we dont have room for both, Its one or the other.

2 stroke only because chris loves riding the 2 stroker and we do plan to be there. larry and Chris both vote 2 stroke . Larry thinks 2 stroke would be a bigger class.

So, what is better for a promoter?….a one time, big class for guys that are already there and happen to have a 2-stroke.
Or….a second, totally separate group of guys that may experience BC for the first time…

Even with me easily being eligible for the 50+ class, I was originally thinking the 2 stroke class would be a better option for the promoter...but after looking at it from this perspective, I'm kinda leaning towards agreeing with Sharc. Tough call.

Even with Sharc's perspective in mind, the basic +50 Crowd is not full out MX riders anymore.... and the idea of racing on a track that has "big" jumps with some other guys that "Jump" those big jumps will have an effect on +50 riders coming out that have not otherwise experienced BC before anyway. Anyone that is in that class that has never been there before and has hesitation to come..... won't come. They would like to come to BC and see it first before racing there if they are on the fence for sure..... it's a sure bet to have 2 strokes with a lot of riders in there, whether they are there or not already, it's money in the promoters pocket!

And depending on classes you do plan on having..... +40C class with no tripling rule would be a good alternative to a +50 class for older slow guys from 40 on who want to ride there but not get jumped on. That gives a lot of people a chance to ride an old / slow / non jumping class....... in my opinion.

Back