Another C class thread

It is kind of funny that you have a mod class for C. If you are such beginner why do you have to have a mod bike?

Don't they still have a limit for 50 beginners? Something like 15 races and you are out? That and no points would do the trick.

The only problem with all this is you can't take all these guys stick them in and not put B into A.

Agree with the mod comment. What is even more amazing is what is considered to be a modification!

Tony D used to tell me that he believed the bikes were getting so good that very very few riders could even ride a factory stock bike to its full potential. Certainly it is something to think about.

All I can really say to this is the old " Follow the Money ". The promotors want and need it, the industry wants and needs it and people are willing to spend it.

Do racing for your own enjoyment because there will always be someone faster and or with more money as well as someone slower and or with less money than you. That is Life! The chance of you making a living off riding SX or MX is likely nil. Keep in mind that on any given weekend there are over 600 guys winning their local "A" class races. Even TP199 says there are guys at local tracks that could kick his butt, they never learned to deal with the pressure of the big national or regional races. Maybe they never got the chance and maybe the fastest guy ever will never get the chance to ride or race at all.

Tony D used to tell me that he believed the bikes were getting so good that very very few riders could even ride a factory stock bike to its full potential. Certainly it is something to think about.

I totally agree with you on this one, my 450 is sitting out in the garage bone stock, s**t it has the original air filter from 07' in it lol. Now im not the best ride out there, but the chances that i ever use that bike to the full potential is next to nothing. I see so many people dump $$ into their bikes, and its totally not necessary, im my eyes at least, to some it is.

ohh wait i have renthal bars, i think ill race the mod C class :D

Depends on what level you are racing at. More important is suspension. You can only go as fast as the bike will allow.

Always amazed that the first thing most people want is aftermarket pipe or exhaust...more power, have to have more power! Good tires is probably one thing many less experienced riders put off, yet they are what gets the power to the ground and help you control and brake the bike. Last bike I got my son in 2005 I put in a Hinson clutch set and he had a deal for tires and an aftermarket exhaust which was junk and we went back to stock. We had MXTech do a little suspension work. He rode that bike to 3rd place in the NC Winter Series in B class.

I agree that suspension is important, but also the hardest thing to learn and the most expensive thing to ake any significant changes to it seems. To really get top notch suspension you have to spend lots of money and do some serious testing. Most people can't justify the expense and don't have the experience and data needed to set it up to be great. It always amazed me how many people show up to ride and have never even set the sag on there bike.

First thing we do to a new bike is take it totally apart and grease all the bearings. Also amazing how many people ride with trashed bearings!

Just ask Judnash!!!

Good suspension is hard to come by. We have been all over and you never get what you ask for or pay for. The only guy who did it right was Andre at Copper Smith. We love him. Copper Smith is still around (akron) but Andre isn't there. His Dad Tom is back running the show again. We have been using Copper Smith for a few years now and they do good work. I do wish though that Andre was there. If you see this Andre we miss you!!!
Bars would be important too. Getting the right length bend ect is important.
Larry (hubby) used to do suspension work but it became too much and he couldn't deal with the regular Joe who really didn't know what he needed or wanted. Chris is lucky though because Gramps really does understand suspension and is good at dialing it in for specific tracks ect. He has helped a lot of guys at the track dial stuff in. You are right about race sag because that is the first thing he checks when trying to help someone. It's funny but I have watched and listened to Larry for so long that I can even watch many of the bikes out there and can see when they are not handling right. I sometimes feel sorry for some of the kids I see out there because I can see how ill handling their bikes are..

Who is Tony D?

http://www.tonydmxschool.com/

Tony is one of the best racers from the mid to late 70s.

My son, who mostly rode Suzuki, went to a couple of Tony's schools which used to be free when you bought a new Suzuki bike. Dan, my son, ended up working as an instructor at about 10 of the schools. And as many of the parents I pitched in also where I could help out.

One of the things I saw value in was that many of the schools were at National Tracks and som even the day after the National race. Riding tracks like Redbud, Broome Tioga, Budds Creek and even Pleasure Valley does a lot to improve your riding knowledge and skills and improve your confidence. I think these experiences helped Dan improve quickly and master some of what I call the C class skills.

We have heard a few riders on this site that back in the day moved right out of mini's to B but that was along time ago times have changed riders have changed

Hey Scott! Back in the day this was a D11 requirement... Christy was a B rider until the rule change that let supermini riders not in the top of the class ride C. Jimmy went from supermini to B... no discussion. But that was District 11 rules.

You're just stirring the pot though.

How's it going? Long time no talk...

Hey Scott! Back in the day this was a D11 requirement... Christy was a B rider until the rule change that let supermini riders not in the top of the class ride C. Jimmy went from supermini to B... no discussion. But that was District 11 rules.

You're just stirring the pot though.

How's it going? Long time no talk...

No stirring this time it was kinda a thread I started to help a few dad with kids racing C that had raced mini's that are members of this site, but I see they never chimed in to help suport what they are complaining about and I kinda got stuck holding the bag but oh well I can handle it and they can just keep hiding.

We are doing good , Scottie is holding his own in B and last week started riding everyday to get ready for a few races next month. Hows it going with you?

No stirring this time it was kinda a thread I started to help a few dad with kids racing C that had raced mini's that are members of this site, but I see they never chimed in to help suport what they are complaining about and I kinda got stuck holding the bag but oh well I can handle it and they can just keep hiding.

We are doing good , Scottie is holding his own in B and last week started riding everyday to get ready for a few races next month. Hows it going with you?

Yeah, well, navigating C class has always been a challenge. lol. No A class for you guys? Good to hear!! Keep in touch.... we may be racing Gold Cup again.

Back