Where are the Ohio riders at Loretta's?

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
Yeah at the speeds they hit slamming those 180lb machines into professionally prepped corners that's what you get.
Maybe that's another reason, Ohio is just getting slower? It happens. And yet, 1/5 of everyone I watched went around the rutted turns at Smith Road last night.
Ever heard of fun? Get more fun with more 'practice' time. Practicing is also known as open riding, so if that helps explain then people should start refering it to that.

If you are looking for someone to sponsor, to rise up the numbers for Ohio, I'm available (as are about 11.5 million others in this lovely state of Ohio you can throw on a bike). And probably a few more people on this board.

Relax broette everyone knows you pay for this yourself. You don't need a sponsor. neither do I.

RocketRobin

PR Founding Father
I ride, I practice, I race very occasionally, I'm from Ohio, I go to Loretta Lynn's, and I know that is takes a special kind of rider to get to the big show at Loretta Lynn's and once you've been here to see it in person and experience it, you'll want to race here too. You guys that want a formula for how to get better racers in Ohio just don't understand the real life numbers of this whole situation......... There are 42 spots on the gate here in Tennessee and we have 50 states in this great country and some fast neighbors from the North in Canada sometimes too, even some foreigners that come here to race..... but let's stick with regular numbers. 50 States and 42 Riders per class. That's less that 1 rider per state, so you need to be the "Best" in your state to get here or something like that. Add to the fact that some states have strong racing heritage and track system (Michigan and Western PA come to mind close to home) and they probably have more than 1 guy per State taking spots which leaves even less than 1 rider per State to enter......... So what do you do? You race where the competition is to improve your game, and unfortunately in Ohio we don't have the best racing around our area for speed and depth of field (Michigan and Western PA are much better) so the best Ohio racers go to those places to improve and it compounds the problem of our area not producing better riders. Looking at Loretta Lynn's entrant numbers is deceiving because it's hard to get here and you really have to be on your game to be 1 of the 42 riders racing at the ranch. I ride open practice more than anything else and work on my conditioning, passing, and skill set on my own for my own enjoyment and improvement. I rarely race, but when I do, I usually do so in Michigan at a D14 track that will have many riders that are very fast to race against to test my skills to their limits. I want to make Loretta Lynn's and I want to do as well as I can when I'm here...... so I push myself and ride where I will be pushed. I go to Briarcliff and hope that guys like Jon Agin in my age group, or a host of the fast local pros are there to show me first hand where I can go faster than I do.......

It would take a big group of promoters to take a big chance at starting something new to make OHIO as a whole a better MX place with faster riders, but our economy, weather, and local competition within reasonable driving distance for good racing makes this very hard to overcome.

You should do this sport for fun, and see where it takes you over the long run. If you become a pro and make money at MX, it's the same as making it in any other sport to the professional level......... a 1 in a million type skilled guy. So unless you are super special....... have fun and enjoy it for what it is.

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
You should do this sport for fun, and see where it takes you over the long run. If you become a pro and make money at MX, it's the same as making it in any other sport to the professional level......... a 1 in a million type skilled guy. So unless you are super special....... have fun and enjoy it for what it is.

Absolutley.

pasimp57

PR Addict
I ride, I practice, I race very occasionally, I'm from Ohio, I go to Loretta Lynn's, and I know that is takes a special kind of rider to get to the big show at Loretta Lynn's and once you've been here to see it in person and experience it, you'll want to race here too. You guys that want a formula for how to get better racers in Ohio just don't understand the real life numbers of this whole situation......... There are 42 spots on the gate here in Tennessee and we have 50 states in this great country and some fast neighbors from the North in Canada sometimes too, even some foreigners that come here to race..... but let's stick with regular numbers. 50 States and 42 Riders per class. That's less that 1 rider per state, so you need to be the "Best" in your state to get here or something like that. Add to the fact that some states have strong racing heritage and track system (Michigan and Western PA come to mind close to home) and they probably have more than 1 guy per State taking spots which leaves even less than 1 rider per State to enter......... So what do you do? You race where the competition is to improve your game, and unfortunately in Ohio we don't have the best racing around our area for speed and depth of field (Michigan and Western PA are much better) so the best Ohio racers go to those places to improve and it compounds the problem of our area not producing better riders. Looking at Loretta Lynn's entrant numbers is deceiving because it's hard to get here and you really have to be on your game to be 1 of the 42 riders racing at the ranch. I ride open practice more than anything else and work on my conditioning, passing, and skill set on my own for my own enjoyment and improvement. I rarely race, but when I do, I usually do so in Michigan at a D14 track that will have many riders that are very fast to race against to test my skills to their limits. I want to make Loretta Lynn's and I want to do as well as I can when I'm here...... so I push myself and ride where I will be pushed. I go to Briarcliff and hope that guys like Jon Agin in my age group, or a host of the fast local pros are there to show me first hand where I can go faster than I do.......

It would take a big group of promoters to take a big chance at starting something new to make OHIO as a whole a better MX place with faster riders, but our economy, weather, and local competition within reasonable driving distance for good racing makes this very hard to overcome.

Amen. Thanks.

ck1racerx

PR Addict
Man, we are talking about practice (Allen Iverson rant)... How is riding with 200 idiots on a hard dusty track "fun"? The last thing I want to do is try to go fast with Little Jimmy stopping in the middle of the track to answer his phone or Johnny Whitetrash deciding to ride the other direction cause "I can ramp my bike off that jump gooder that way". Yes those people exist and play a LARGE, very important part in our sport. (Someone has to buy my old race bike) but I have to ask. Are you Johnny or Jimmy? And if so, why are you on a board called Pitracer reading about a National Race?
Don’t get me wrong, on occasion I do enjoy going to the woods or and empty track and play riding but that has nothing to do with my original point. What has happened to the <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Ohio</st1:place></st1:State> rider?
Why would you practice (open ride) then not race? Is this a result of the soccer generation not wanting to keep score cause we don’t want to hurt there feeling if they don’t win?

I digress... What can be done to help our return relevance?

strawder19

PR Member
In the context of the title of this thread. do not judge the talent of ohio riders by how many show up at lorettas. it takes more than talent to get there.

MarctheSharc

PR Founding Father
Man, we are talking about practice (Allen Iverson rant)... How is riding with 200 idiots on a hard dusty track "fun"? The last thing I want to do is try to go fast with Little Jimmy stopping in the middle of the track to answer his phone or Johnny Whitetrash deciding to ride the other direction cause "I can ramp my bike off that jump gooder that way". Yes those people exist and play a LARGE, very important part in our sport. (Someone has to buy my old race bike) but I have to ask. Are you Johnny or Jimmy? And if so, why are you on a board called Pitracer reading about a National Race?
Don’t get me wrong, on occasion I do enjoy going to the woods or and empty track and play riding but that has nothing to do with my original point. What has happened to the <st1:State w:st="on"><ST1:place w:st="on">Ohio</ST1:place></st1:State> rider?
Why would you practice (open ride) then not race? Is this a result of the soccer generation not wanting to keep score cause we don’t want to hurt there feeling if they don’t win?

I digress... What can be done to help our return relevance?

Bla-Ha-Ha….Now you’re just trolling. What part of the MAJORITY of riders don’t race don’t you understand?
So please tell us why you think racing is so important?
From your continued response, it’s obvious you don’t ride, or if you do, at least not where I (and a lot of us) do. Where I like to go, it’s never hard and dusty nor are there 200 “idiots”…..and most importantly, none of us care how fast you think you are….or how much faster you’d be if Jimmy and Johnny would just get out of your way…..Ha~Ha~Ha~
<O:p<O:p</O:p

firedan

PR Addict
Amen. You do not have to race to be fast!!!! I guess if you own a bike you have to race it in order to enjoy it. I'm such an idiot!!

ck1racerx

PR Addict
Marc if you dont race and dont care about racing, why did you even open my thread?
This was never ment to be a personal attack so If the word idiot offends you then maybe take a look in the mirror Jimmy...

Back to my question.... Now, what can we do (the racers and tracks) to improve our riders to compete on a national level?

btw. about my riding... go to the vault and look up Chris Knox

SCHAFFERNOCKER

PR Addict
In the context of the title of this thread. do not judge the talent of ohio riders by how many show up at lorettas. it takes more than talent to get there.

This is exactly what seperates our sport from any average stick/ball sport. You cant go practice in the backyard, or down at the park. And its an extremely high cost to travel across the country hoping for one of the 42 spots at LL. Its a shame, there is so much talent out there that has/will never be discovered because of the fact that parents dont have the extra money to dump 10K a year into their son/daughter riding a motorcycle on the weekend.

washel157

PR Addict
Bla-Ha-Ha….Now you’re just trolling. What part of the MAJORITY of riders don’t race don’t you understand?
So please tell us why you think racing is so important?
From your continued response, it’s obvious you don’t ride, or if you do, at least not where I (and a lot of us) do. Where I like to go, it’s never hard and dusty nor are there 200 “idiots”…..and most importantly, none of us care how fast you think you are….or how much faster you’d be if Jimmy and Johnny would just get out of your way…..Ha~Ha~Ha~
<O:p<O:p</O:p

I`ll refer to probably the greatest moto-movie of all time: "Any given Sunday". Those guys didn`t put all of their effort, time and money into practicing then loading it all up, drive across the country just to go practice again. Racing is the only way to keep the moto-economy growing and keeping all the tracks open. For example: if chillitownmx get a good enough turnout at all of their races this year the fairgrounds will give them more land to expand the track, not for practice.

RocketRobin

PR Founding Father
Our Ohio riders that want to compete on a National level have to ride and race with other riders that are doing the same. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen for racing inside of Ohio much at this point, but Western PA and Michigan have great strong racing series still that have very good talent to compare yourself too. If you want to improve your riding skill and speed, race over there. If you need fast practice in good conditions that mimic many big time races, your best bet is to hit Briarcliff as often as you can in Ohio. Briarcliff has the best conditions for training consistently and also has many of our states fastest riders there on the weekends they are open. Willy Browning, Shawn Rife, McDade, and everyone on down the list goes there from Ohio to ride and get better!

Meister

PR Founding Father
This is exactly what seperates our sport from any average stick/ball sport. You cant go practice in the backyard, or down at the park. And its an extremely high cost to travel across the country hoping for one of the 42 spots at LL. Its a shame, there is so much talent out there that has/will never be discovered because of the fact that parents dont have the extra money to dump 10K a year into their son/daughter riding a motorcycle on the weekend.

10K? I wish. What about everything after bikes or bike maintenance? (On a competitive level anyway)..

nitrofish

PR Addict
"Why would you practice (open ride) then not race? Is this a result of the soccer generation not wanting to keep score cause we don’t want to hurt there feeling if they don’t win?"

I love to eat a good hot dog, but no way am I going to enter Nathen's Famous hot dog eating contest. I don't know what that even means?