Pit Bike Rules

fluidpower

PR Member
What are the "rules" for pit bikes for the fair ground races here in Ohio? It seems the bikes sizes and set ups are all over the map? TTR 125 and KLX 140's as well as modded CRF 50's. Any help would be great.

Technically it's suppose to be max 12" rear wheel , air cooled engine ! Anything over that I protest , it's not trail bike class it's pitbike. I get tired of people trying to enter the bikes your talkin about, if they wanna enter 140s then go jump on a Honda 150r!

I agree! I would like to build one and have enough parts to assemble, but watching the klx 110's get pounded by a full mod KLX 140/ttr125 doesn't seem right. It appears that at the fair tracks and broadway, anything goes as long as it is air cooled.....

Technically it's suppose to be max 12" rear wheel , air cooled engine ! Anything over that I protest , it's not trail bike class it's pitbike. I get tired of people trying to enter the bikes your talkin about, if they wanna enter 140s then go jump on a Honda 150r!

I agree too. But I also think it's a numbers game. At some places without those bikes there wouldn't be many. Like out at briarcliff, Jeremy has seperate class but in the plus classes they race and there is no way we can compete with that then there might only be 2 or 3 bikes then. We need more people to start riding them again.

The rules? there are no rules they are like guidlines.

A stock 70 class would be nice. It's fun when there are all even bikes and you need skill to win.

Unless you cut the track and take out the other guy like SOMEONE I know! ha ha .

Hmmm. I agree with what you guys are saying, but I'm a "big bike" offender myself with a CRF150F. I talked to the sign up people at the Medina Fair race about running a 14 Open class WITH Open pit bike. It wouldn't have added another moto as the races would have been run together, but scored seperately. Not happenin. They just lumped everything into Open pit bike. When you're at a pit bike only event-- there are seperate classes. When you're at a big bike race that just happens to have a pit bike race as well, ya just gotta fit in wherever they let ya.

Is it fair? Not really. Pit bike rules have never really been fair-- even at the big Vegas races. I'm usually twice as old as the other riders in any race I enter. My beastly showroom stock 150F has about 12 horse, but weighs about 240 lbs. It has an advantage with bigger wheels, but is way down on power compared to the 12 inch Mod bikes.

I ride the 150 because it's fun and cheap. I only have $1400 into it, and it's fairly competitive w/o dumping alotta cash into it. I ride a cheap bike, but I support the pit bike scene by showing up to race at just about every event even when I know I'll get smoked (like at the Medina Fair race). I got a 6th that night, but I had a decent battle with somebody, and had a great time. Keep in mind that expensive bikes, and all the "who's better than who" almost put pit bikes into extinction a couple years ago.

My advice to somebody who wants to get into pit bikes is that you should get something cheap-- whether it be a 50, 110, 150, or a Mod bike, ride the living $h!t out of the thing, and forget about how fair the race classes are. Pit bikes are about banging bars just for fun. Leave the whining and rules with big bikes. I hope ya do get yourself a pit bike and have a good time with it. I know the scene inside and out-- so you can PM me with any questions if ya like. --L*64

But yet, there are big bore/highly modded 12" bikes that will smoke a stock CRF,TTR or KLX trail bike due to mega hp.

Unless a bunch of folks get into pit bikes, it's gonna be a situation where a person just has to look at it as being something fun to do and ride whatever bike it is they can afford or have the best time on.

Mooch, earlier this year when I kept seeing your pitbike racing posts at Briarcliff I thought to myself that would be fun. So I began thinking about different small bikes available that would be good and fun to race, then Nancy told me I should just take out our little RT100.

Don't ask me why but that little bike never crossed my mind. Would it be objectionable in a Pitbike race at BC?
It's even a 2-smoker :)

We had a TTR125 but sold it 3 or 4 years ago, but I liked the bike allot. Had it for the kids when they were all at home. Then later a friend needed one for his kids so I let it go. Thought several times that I would buy another. Fun little bike, and handles over grown kids pretty well.

But I can definitely get into banging bars with some of you guys on 3/4 or 1/2 scale play bikes. I also had an older XR75 that needed a lot of work, but when it ran had lots of grunt and would go.

Mooch, earlier this year when I kept seeing your pitbike racing posts at Briarcliff I thought to myself that would be fun. So I began thinking about different small bikes available that would be good and fun to race, then Nancy told me I should just take out our little RT100.

Don't ask me why but that little bike never crossed my mind. Would it be an objectable bike in a Pitbike race at BC?
It's even a 2-smoker :)

I had a TTR125 and sold it 3 or 4 years ago, but I liked the bike allot. Had it for my kids when they were all at home. Then later a friend needed one for his kids so I let it go. I've thought several times over the years that I would buy another. It was a fun little bike, and handles over grown kids pretty well.

But I can definitely get into banging bars with some of you guys on 3/4 or 1/2 scale play bikes. I had an older XR75 that I almost had to give away. But those are strong running little bikes.

Technically a pit bike a a horizontal air cooled engine. I know at Briarcliff Jeremy says no 2 strokes.

Last year I got a good deal on a stock DRZ110. I couldn't ride it to well stcok. After pricing out a clutch kit, shock and everything else I decided I didn't want to put that much money into it to just have some fun. So I sold it and bought a SSR. I know they are Chinese but I got a little bit better one and for the money it's a great bike. Now I am thinking about selling the one I have and upgrading to one of their race bikes.

The rules? there are no rules they are like guidlines.

A stock 70 class would be nice. It's fun when there are all even bikes and you need skill to win.

Unless you cut the track and take out the other guy like SOMEONE I know! ha ha .

I was just taking a different "guideline" than you were!!!lol

Hmmm. I agree with what you guys are saying, but I'm a "big bike" offender myself with a CRF150F. I talked to the sign up people at the Medina Fair race about running a 14 Open class WITH Open pit bike. It wouldn't have added another moto as the races would have been run together, but scored seperately. Not happenin. They just lumped everything into Open pit bike. When you're at a pit bike only event-- there are seperate classes. When you're at a big bike race that just happens to have a pit bike race as well, ya just gotta fit in wherever they let ya.

Is it fair? Not really. Pit bike rules have never really been fair-- even at the big Vegas races. I'm usually twice as old as the other riders in any race I enter. My beastly showroom stock 150F has about 12 horse, but weighs about 240 lbs. It has an advantage with bigger wheels, but is way down on power compared to the 12 inch Mod bikes.

I ride the 150 because it's fun and cheap. I only have $1400 into it, and it's fairly competitive w/o dumping alotta cash into it. I ride a cheap bike, but I support the pit bike scene by showing up to race at just about every event even when I know I'll get smoked (like at the Medina Fair race). I got a 6th that night, but I had a decent battle with somebody, and had a great time. Keep in mind that expensive bikes, and all the "who's better than who" almost put pit bikes into extinction a couple years ago.

My advice to somebody who wants to get into pit bikes is that you should get something cheap-- whether it be a 50, 110, 150, or a Mod bike, ride the living $h!t out of the thing, and forget about how fair the race classes are. Pit bikes are about banging bars just for fun. Leave the whining and rules with big bikes. I hope ya do get yourself a pit bike and have a good time with it. I know the scene inside and out-- so you can PM me with any questions if ya like. --L*64

I would like to build a CR85/CRF100 bike. I have a the 85 roller. I also have a stock crf150f with cr85 front forks. Bone stock motor and exhaust wise. Fun to ride. Can I race that without drama?

Thanks!

This actually turning out to be a pretty good thread in that guys that have some kinda pit-able bike in the shed, or corner of the garage are paying attention, and the possibilities of actually dusting it off and racing it are surfacing. IMO-- that's where pit bikes came from, and where they should get back to.

I doubt that Jeremy would be concerned about an RT100. I think he's just trying to keep out race bikes like KTM/KX65's and such. I'd ask him, but I'm sure it'd be fine.

As far as the 150F with the 85 forks-- that would go in the Briarcliff 14 Open, and Vet cllasses. No drama-- the more the merrier. That 85 conversion would be a weapon! With just a BBR 120 top end-- it would blow the heavy 150F out of the water. Look at the Settin' Trendz website. He sells conversion frames, airboots, and exhuasts for them. I'd build one, but I dont want to spend the cashola! 14/16 Open needs to be a standard class b/c there are so many cheap XR/TTR/KLX/CRF's/DRZ's out there that can be had and raced for under a grand.

12 inch Stock is a cheapo fun class too. It just gets stunk up once people start doing Vegas stockers (meaning that the chassis is stock only with a 178 stroker under the hood). --L*64

This actually turning out to be a pretty good thread in that guys that have some kinda pit-able bike in the shed, or corner of the garage are paying attention, and the possibilities of actually dusting it off and racing it are surfacing. IMO-- that's where pit bikes came from, and where they should get back to.

I doubt that Jeremy would be concerned about an RT100. I think he's just trying to keep out race bikes like KTM/KX65's and such. I'd ask him, but I'm sure it'd be fine.

As far as the 150F with the 85 forks-- that would go in the Briarcliff 14 Open, and Vet cllasses. No drama-- the more the merrier. That 85 conversion would be a weapon! With just a BBR 120 top end-- it would blow the heavy 150F out of the water. Look at the Settin' Trendz website. He sells conversion frames, airboots, and exhuasts for them. I'd build one, but I dont want to spend the cashola! 14/16 Open needs to be a standard class b/c there are so many cheap XR/TTR/KLX/CRF's/DRZ's out there that can be had and raced for under a grand.

12 inch Stock is a cheapo fun class too. It just gets stunk up once people start doing Vegas stockers (meaning that the chassis is stock only with a 178 stroker under the hood). --L*64

My thought was racing it in the AMA. At the fairground races and the races at Broadway, the "pitbikes" are not the definition as defined by the AMA, which limit tire sizes, must be open cradle, 4 stroke, with unlimited displacement. This is not what is popping up at these races. Hence the question? What is a pit bike rules for District 11? I can't find them anywhere.....

D-

There is a displacement limit of 143cc, a maximum wheelbase limit. It does have to be air-cooled. Broke my leg on one at the Morrow County fair 8/31/2011.

143cc limit is never obeyed nor shouldn't, at least for the mod classes. There are too many pit bike companies making bigger motors that come stock on Em. With the limited time promotors (local races) have to fit pits in, they can only run 2 classes at most. So the question is, what are the classes and rules to keep it simple? Stock and mod with no wheel size designation? Too hard to patrol and differentiate mod vs stock IMO. I say keep it simple and go by wheel size. 10 rear and 14 and under A/C. I admit that I have always felt that true pit bikes are 12" wheel and under but to keep it going ya gotta let the bigger wheeled ones in. Not many folks can afford to mod a 110 nor feel comfy buying overseas. Just keep it fun, race your own race. If you wanna compete on a stricter rules level ya gotta hit the big races. Oh if ya wanna fast pit bike got one coming up for sale soon! Matt.

143cc limit is never obeyed nor shouldn't, at least for the mod classes. There are too many pit bike companies making bigger motors that come stock on Em. With the limited time promotors (local races) have to fit pits in, they can only run 2 classes at most. So the question is, what are the classes and rules to keep it simple? Stock and mod with no wheel size designation? Too hard to patrol and differentiate mod vs stock IMO. I say keep it simple and go by wheel size. 10 rear and 14 and under A/C. I admit that I have always felt that true pit bikes are 12" wheel and under but to keep it going ya gotta let the bigger wheeled ones in. Not many folks can afford to mod a 110 nor feel comfy buying overseas. Just keep it fun, race your own race. If you wanna compete on a stricter rules level ya gotta hit the big races. Oh if ya wanna fast pit bike got one coming up for sale soon! Matt.

I agree or run an "open" class with no limit on tire size and frame style and keep it air cooled. I would like to race and have fun, I am over 40 and the 40+ guys are smoking fast. My balls aren't big enough to mix it up with the 250 b/c guys although at 1 fair race, the C guys were not allowed to double so, that might change my mind. I don't care about going fast, just banging bars and not having any fear of getting landed on!

Well most places you go to for a pitbike race usually have 12" or 10" stock mod and open classes. Also if you go to any big pitbike events like nationals or briarcliff they have a seperate class for the 14" trail bikes that people are starting to run because they dont wanna dump $8000 into a klx110 haha , many people will argue that a stock 14" klx140 will not keep up with a modded klx but its a lie. Not sure if u guys were at medina fair but the one kid was racing a klx140 and ran up front with us the whole race, the wheel size helps out tremondously even though he might not have a built motor. Most places take care of the classes pretty good but it seems like the fair races kinda let it slip and let whoever run whatever unless it is brought to there attention. Most places should have a stock and mod 10" and 12" as well as a 14". Its just getting to the point where if everyone shows up with these 14" rear wheels your gonna see people trying to show up with 150r's and going from there which is ridiculous. No matter what classes they run people are still gonna run what they bring !

Back