Pit Bike Rules

Rules?? Pitbikes??? Those two words shouldnt be used in the same sentence........Just throw it together and race. Most of the time the rules vary from promotor to promotor anyway. My number one rule is no liquid cooled two strokes. Basically that rules out all the kids race bikes, no crf 150 race bikes either. Beyond that have at it.

Yep... Bring something out and run it. That's about what it comes down to.

ljHall09-- What's up bro! That was Logan Karnow on the KLX140 at the Medina Fair. The kid can go lightning fast on anything. If you put a mere mortal on the 140, they wouldn't do nearly as well. I used to have a slightly Modded 110 that I used to race in the Vet classes. I always thought 12 inch wheels was the way to go too. I just happened to have a 150F sitting around that I was planning on using the motor for in a different project. My 110 had a flat tire, so I brought the big slug 150F out to the track just to fool around with. It was so much fun, and so cheap-- I sold my 110 and just ran that. I know what you mean by pit bike, but pit bikes USED to be stockers with big bars and tall seats. Now that we're running Mod bikes on big bike tracks-- it just makes sense to ride the bigger trail bikes. It makes even more sense money wise. I don't care what they call my bike, or the class it races in-- I just call it cheap fun!

I think the AMA races that you're referring to are the "Pit Bike Nationals". As far as I know, they don't have them any more. I'd disregard the rules-- pick a bike that suits your local riding spot (The place you'll be riding it MOST often)-- and have a good time. Tune in to Planet Minis. There's a new CRF110 coming out that looks to be pretty cool. Check it out! --L*64

Rules?? Pitbikes??? Those two words shouldnt be used in the same sentence........Just throw it together and race. Most of the time the rules vary from promotor to promotor anyway. My number one rule is no liquid cooled two strokes. Basically that rules out all the kids race bikes, no crf 150 race bikes either. Beyond that have at it.

Jeremy, I was thinking there weren't any 2 strokes allowed in pit bike races...including your races? I guess for someone to ride an air cooled 2 stroke, someone would have to dig up an early 80's CR, RM, or YZ 80?

I heard there's some guy who's been racing a "de-tuned" CRF150R at the fair pit bike races...is someone really getting away with THAT?

if u get a trail bike where all can u race them..ran our 110 at Briar Cliff last Sat. Night in 40 plus and got smoked.they all had trail bikes,,thought about getting one,but not sure where all u can race them..

I wish 2 strokes were allowed, an 85 would be a blast. I'm sure the kids would invade and whoop our behinds though!

Yep... Bring something out and run it. That's about what it comes down to.

ljHall09-- What's up bro! That was Logan Karnow on the KLX140 at the Medina Fair. The kid can go lightning fast on anything. If you put a mere mortal on the 140, they wouldn't do nearly as well. I used to have a slightly Modded 110 that I used to race in the Vet classes. I always thought 12 inch wheels was the way to go too. I just happened to have a 150F sitting around that I was planning on using the motor for in a different project. My 110 had a flat tire, so I brought the big slug 150F out to the track just to fool around with. It was so much fun, and so cheap-- I sold my 110 and just ran that. I know what you mean by pit bike, but pit bikes USED to be stockers with big bars and tall seats. Now that we're running Mod bikes on big bike tracks-- it just makes sense to ride the bigger trail bikes. It makes even more sense money wise. I don't care what they call my bike, or the class it races in-- I just call it cheap fun!

I think the AMA races that you're referring to are the "Pit Bike Nationals". As far as I know, they don't have them any more. I'd disregard the rules-- pick a bike that suits your local riding spot (The place you'll be riding it MOST often)-- and have a good time. Tune in to Planet Minis. There's a new CRF110 coming out that looks to be pretty cool. Check it out! --L*64

Well this coming weekend there is a pitbike national at englishtown nj , u should look into it , far drive but last year they had 345 entries! 2up vs master of minis

Just looked on the American Motorsports page and the "pitbike class" says Pitbike 12 & Up (50-143cc). First Time I recall seeing this.... Looks like my Cr85/crf100 build will be the winter project! I will ask more questions when I sign the boy up tomorrow.

if u get a trail bike where all can u race them..ran our 110 at Briar Cliff last Sat. Night in 40 plus and got smoked.they all had trail bikes,,thought about getting one,but not sure where all u can race them..

Yea the 30+ was the same. I managed a 5th place on my 10". I was bummed I couldn't hang with them but it still was a blast.

I will ask at Broadway today and see what the wheelbase limit is. Guys are running TTR125's and KLX140's so throw out the open cradle and wheel size rule!

Stock photo of a RT100, (same as ours).
18" wheels, air cooled, 2-stroke. 1st gear top speed- about 5 mph. Useless suspension.
Fun Factor - "8"

Attachments

• bikepics-373071-800.jpg
    bikepics-373071-800.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 234
I would say that an RT100 qualifies for the Open class or the age classes at BC.

The start of pitbikes goes way back into the early 70's. The mechanics and racers at Nationals would race XR75's and the like to past time over the weekend. At one point I think Broc Glover actually had a YZ125 motor stuffed in to a small trick frame.

I'm not sure where these rules of open cradle, horizontal motors, or the like originated. Before the 110's came along we had Z50's and XR's...and it was just fun, now you induce all of these rules because the big buck manufacturers start perverting the markets and the fun goes away.

Watch out! Here is the pitbike killa! I will keep you updated on my progress through this build. As she stands or hangs, 1977 XR 75. Powdercoat by Miracle Custom Coatings, uhhhhh that's it. She's been hanging around for years. Hope to finish by next year's B-Cliff races. :) Hmmmm, I guess you have to turn your head sideways to view. No, the MSD ignition is not part of the build, so far.

Attachments

• xr75JPG.jpg
    xr75JPG.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 213
4 years ago at Vintage Days we talked with a guy with a nice restored early 70's XR75 for sale. Come to find out that his hobby is rebuilding vintage XR75's and they are the only bikes he does. Then we found out he lives local to us in Granville.

Speaking of pit bike rules...anyone know some concrete details on this wild story...?

I hear this happened at the last fair race. Allegedly, an AMS Referee (guy by the name of Volts?) had a son running in the pit bike race who usually rides a modded bike, the modded bike was broke so he had to ride another bike. I heard this AMS Ref protested another kid who won the race on a stock KLX140 and as the Ref disqualified the kid on the KLX140. I hear this resulted in the Ref's son winning the fair race pit bike series for the year rather than the kid on the 140 who got disqualified. IF this is true, mighty fishy that a Ref can protest his son's competition and then also make the ruling to DQ that competition. There were several people riding KLX140s at fair races this year and the young guy who was disqualified had ridden that same stock KLX140 at 14 AMS fair events with no issue....never was protested.

The reason for the protest at the last race that got the kid on KLX DQ'd? A rule that is rarely enforced...the KLX is 144cc and the Ref DQ'd him since there's some rule from somewhere that the limit is 143cc. The Dad of the kid who was DQ'd contacted the AMA and the first response he got was that AMS shouldn't require pit bike riders at fair races to buy an AMA card because it's not an AMA sanctioned class. Pit bikes are all fun and games but if this really happened after going to 14 races with a KLX 140 and not having a problem until the last race...that'd be a pizzer.

I got this second hand from a reliable source, anybody else hear anything about this?

Speaking of pit bike rules...anyone know some concrete details on this wild story...?

I hear this happened at the last fair race. Allegedly, an AMS Referee (guy by the name of Volts?) had a son running in the pit bike race who usually rides a modded bike, the modded bike was broke so he had to ride another bike. I heard this AMS Ref protested another kid who won the race on a stock KLX140 and then also disqualified the kid on the KLX140. I hear this resulted in the Ref's son winning the fair race pit bike series for the year rather than the kid on the 140 who got disqualified. IF this is true, mighty fishy that a Ref can protest his son's competition and then also make the ruling to DQ that competition. There were several people riding KLX140s at fair races this year and the young guy who was disqualified had ridden that same stock KLX140 at 14 AMS fair events with no issue....never was protested.

The reason for the protest at the last race that got the kid on KLX DQ'd? A rule that is rarely enforced...the KLX is 144cc and the Ref DQ'd him since there's some rule from somewhere that the limit is 143cc. The Dad of the kid who was DQ'd contacted the AMA and the first response he got was that AMS shouldn't require pit bike riders at fair races to buy an AMA card because it's not an AMA sanctioned class. Pit bikes are all fun and games but if this really happened after going to 14 races with a KLX 140 and not having a problem until the last race...that'd be a pizzer.

I got this second hand from a reliable source, anybody else hear anything about this?

Asked a guy who was racing in the pit bike class today at Broadway and he mentioned "a" KLX 140 got disqualified for the same reason. No details other than that.

Seems fishy, given that the race on 8/30 was double points race. I was there, the mod bike was broken, I saw them working on it in the pits.

See the standings and the DQ results below...

http://www.tracksideresults.com/americanmx/seriespoints.asp?s=19&c=23&r=pos

Thoughts?

D-

pitbike class at fair races has always been 12" rear wheel max for years , they have a jr. and sr. trail bike class so why try and run one in pitbike ? Pitbikes started as bone stock xr50's and now theres people running klx140s and ttr125s ? Its just getting ridiculous anymore ... Like i said before itll be soon enough people will be rolling 150rs to the starting line in pitbike if more and more people try racing these trail bikes in pitbike class

pitbike class at fair races has always been 12" rear wheel max for years , they have a jr. and sr. trail bike class so why try and run one in pitbike ? Pitbikes started as bone stock xr50's and now theres people running klx140s and ttr125s ? Its just getting ridiculous anymore ... Like i said before itll be soon enough people will be rolling 150rs to the starting line in pitbike if more and more people try racing these trail bikes in pitbike class

The pitbike races at the fair races I've been to the last few years have had a wide range of bikes running in one pit bike class so not sure what you're referring to.

Regarding 150rs rolling to the start line at a fair pit bike race...that's already happening and the claim being made is that it's "detuned".

Unless there's some kinda resurgence in pit bike racing and more people get into it to fill out bike specific classes, lenient rules to allow more riders to participate is keeping the class from totally dieing off.

I have to agree with both sides. Personally-- I don't take pit bike racing seriously. If I was going to get serious about racing, I'd get a 250F, and race the Senior II races. I just like to get out and do some ridin', have a good time, and get back home in one piece--- AND I don't want to spend the chips on the 250F, nor do I want to stick my neck out racing the bike. Pit bikes are all the fun, but a fraction of the risk or the cost. That's my take.

On the other hand-- pit bikes IS still a race. if you are one of the many who take pit bike racing seriously, then some structure would be helpful. What I've always thought was strange, is that the rules have everything to do with wheel size, and NOTHING to do with the engine in the bike. Every other motorsport is engine power based. I have no idea who made up the pit bike rules.

A 150R? Naw. I wouldn't let it race.

At the Briarcliff track- a 110 has an advantage over the trail bike. The track has been too tight fir the bigger trail bikes lately.

J- the Trail Bike races are just for kids. They don't let adults race in it. It would be cool to have an adult trail bike race though at the CRA races. --L*64

I really think there should be a "big wheel" pitbike class also. Have 10", 12" stock, 12" mod and big wheel. A klx 110 vs klx 140 or crf 150f is no match. It really doesnt affect me because I ride pitbikes for fun and win or lose I dont care. But it does eat me inside alittle seeing a bone stock klx 140 beat Hall on his BBR klx 110 at the fair. Haha I mean who else can hit Malvern uphill triple and Braircliff finish line table and still get smoked at the fair by a bike right off the showroom floor.

On a side note with all these serious injurys happening all the time on big bikes the pitbikes are looking better and better everyday. I just picked up a 110 the other night and super excited to start riding it.

Back