Pit Bike Rules

Yeah-- if they had seperate classes, but ran in the same race-- that'd have solved the problem. I'll work on talking to somebody about it for next year's event. Along with adding a 14 or 16 inch wheeled class. The bikes are getting hugely popular for obvious reasons-- let's make a class for them.

You guys keep forgetting that it was Logan K. that was riding the 140...

Hey Talon-- congrats on the new bike bro! Bring it to the 'Cabin if you make it out the next couple weeks.

If there were going to be "rules", here's how I'd make them:

Stock 10-- No engine mods, Chassis mods limited to tall seat, bars, shock, fork internals. Pipe allowed on 50cc bikes. 70cc must run stock exhuast.

Open 10-- Anything goes.

Stock 12-- No engine mods, stock pipe. Chassis mods limited to tall seat, bars, shock, fork internals. 4th gear drums allowed on pre '10 KLX110's. (Every manufacturer but Suzuki has a 110 now!)

Open 12-- Anything goes.

Stock 16-- No mods other than shock, and fork internals. (Maybe let the 125's have pipes, but no pipes for KLX140's or CRF150F's? Just to try and get some parity for the displacement advantage of the 140 ind 150F? The 150 is one heavy beast though! Let XR100's go to 120cc's and run a pipe?)

16 Open-- Anything goes. NO 150R's.

Vet-- +40, Stock 16 rules.

Youth-- 12 and under. Stock 10 and Stock 12 bikes only.

There ya go! In a nutshell. Not perfect-- but fair. At races like the fair races-- combine all the classes by wheel size, and run 3 motos. Just score them seperately. Everything would be fine then, no added classes... full gates... no more whining... everybody happy. --L*64

pitbike class at fair races has always been 12" rear wheel max for years , they have a jr. and sr. trail bike class so why try and run one in pitbike ? Pitbikes started as bone stock xr50's and now theres people running klx140s and ttr125s ? Its just getting ridiculous anymore ... Like i said before itll be soon enough people will be rolling 150rs to the starting line in pitbike if more and more people try racing these trail bikes in pitbike class

Not true. Hence the reason for my original post dude! (at least not here in D11) I have never seen a trailbike class either. Perhaps a D11 vs. CRA thing? (I will say I have never seen a 150R at the fair races for pit bikes)

I have to agree with both sides. Personally-- I don't take pit bike racing seriously. If I was going to get serious about racing, I'd get a 250F, and race the Senior II races. I just like to get out and do some ridin', have a good time, and get back home in one piece--- AND I don't want to spend the chips on the 250F, nor do I want to stick my neck out racing the bike. Pit bikes are all the fun, but a fraction of the risk or the cost. That's my take.

On the other hand-- pit bikes IS still a race. if you are one of the many who take pit bike racing seriously, then some structure would be helpful. What I've always thought was strange, is that the rules have everything to do with wheel size, and NOTHING to do with the engine in the bike. Every other motorsport is engine power based. I have no idea who made up the pit bike rules.

A 150R? Naw. I wouldn't let it race.

At the Briarcliff track- a 110 has an advantage over the trail bike. The track has been too tight fir the bigger trail bikes lately.

J- the Trail Bike races are just for kids. They don't let adults race in it. It would be cool to have an adult trail bike race though at the CRA races. --L*64

I agree L*64. With my son racing 2 classes and the maintenance that goes along with that, I do not want to spend the coin on a 250F for myself and add another bike to the list of maintenance items. I would, however, love to race something fun and reliable with the only maintenance be washing it (if I felt like it) after the weekend!

Here are the rules I found for the 2up pitbike series. We need to get Wholesale Cycle or somebody to put on a series around Ohio. So many good tracks. Now I know until we can get more riders this will probebly never happen.
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]Youth Classes:
[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]Young Boy (Ages: 5-7)
[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]Same rules apply as 10/12 inch Open classes. You must meet the age requirement (5-7) as of the first round of the series.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]Young Boy (Ages: 8-11)
[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]Same rules apply as 10/12 inch Open classes. You must meet the age requirement (8-11) as of the first round of the series.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]Youth 10in. Open (Ages: 12-16)
[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]You must run a 10" inch. rear wheel. All bikes must be air-cooled, 4-stroke engines with open cradle frames. 12" inch. front wheel (maximum) are allowed. Manual clutches are allowed. Unlimited engine modifications are allowed. Maximum wheel base is 45 inches.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]Youth 12in. Open (Ages: 12-16)
[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]You must run a 12" inch. rear wheel. All bikes must be air-cooled, 4-stroke engines with open cradle frames. 14" inch. front wheel (maximum) are allowed. Manual clutches are allowed. Unlimited engine modifications are allowed. Maximum wheel base is 49 inches.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]Adult Classes (Ages:17+):
[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]10 in. Stock
[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]Crf/Z 50, TT-R 50, SSR 70 & alike bikes.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]0-50cc (NO Motor Mods Allowed except open air filter)
[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]Bikes can be modified by adding: Handlebars, upper triple clamp, seat, rear shock, footpegs/ footpeg mount, shifter, break pedal, fork springs, fork tubes, air filter, and tires. [/FONT][FONT=Impact, sans-serif]THE REST OF THE BIKE MUST REMAIN STOCK. NO EXHAUSTS
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]51cc-108cc
[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]Crf 50, Piranha 90, Pitster Pro SS, Pitster Pro X2 90, & alike bikes.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]You must run a 10" inch rear wheel with a maximum of a 12" front wheel. All bikes must be air-cooled, 4-stroke engines with open cradle frames. Manual clutches are allowed. Engine specs are 51- 108cc and below (Stroker Cranks are allowed). Maximum wheel base is 45 inches.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]10in. Open
[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]You must run a 10" inch. rear wheel. All bikes must be air-cooled, 4-stroke engines with open cradle frames. 12" inch. front wheel (maximum) are allowed. Manual clutches are allowed. Unlimited engine modifications are allowed. Maximum wheel base is 45 inches.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]12 in. Stock
[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]Klx/Drz 110, Crf 70, TT-R 90/110 Bikes only.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]0-110cc (NO Motor Mods allowed)
[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]Bikes can be modified by adding: Handlebars, upper triple clamp, seat, rear shock, footpegs/ footpeg mount, shifter, break pedal, fork springs,dampening rods, fork oil , and tires. [/FONT][FONT=Impact, sans-serif]THE REST OF THE BIKE MUST REMAIN STOCK. NO EXHAUSTS, NO OPEN FILTERS.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]Vegas 12 in. Stock/Mod
[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]KLX/DRZ110, CRF70, TT-R90/110, and Pitster Mx 110 SS Bikes.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]The following items must remain "Bone Stock" : Engine cases, engine head and cylinder (No aluminum heads allowed) (No cylinder spacers allowed), carburetor (re-jetting is OK. Choke must remain on carb.), carburetor manifold, engine appearance (do not paint orcoat cases), frame, swingarm, forks, wheels hub's (Wheel size must remain stock), brakes, fuel tank.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]Bikes can be modified by changing or adding the following parts: Upper tripleclamps, handle bars, grips, brakes cables, throttle cables, kill-switch, throttle assembly, sprockets, graphics, tires, pistons, rings, exhaust system, clutch springs and plates (clutch must remain fully automatic) CDI box, air filter, fork springs, rear shock, chain, sprockets, footpegs/mounts, skid plates, rims andspokes, shifter and brake lever, seat cover and foam, plastic (ie: fenders, shrouds, number plates can be replaced in color only, must have white backgrounds).
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]12 in. Open
[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]You must run a 12" inch. rear wheel. All bikes must be air-cooled, 4-stroke engines with open cradle frames. 14" inch. front wheel (maximum) are allowed. Manual clutches are allowed. Unlimited engine modifications are allowed. Maximum wheel base is 49 inches.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]Age Classes:
[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]10/12 Open (Ages: 17-22)
[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]Same rules apply as 10/12 inch Open classes. You must meet the age requirement (17-22) as of the first round of the series.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]10/12 Open (Ages: 23-29)
[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]Same Rules apply as 10/12 inch Open classes. You must meet the age requirement (23-29) as of the first round of the series.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]Vet 10/12 Open (Ages: 30+)
[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]Same Rules apply as 10/12 inch Open classes. You must meet the age requirement (30+) as of the first round of the series.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]Other Classes:
[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]Bigwheel
[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]This Class is for KLX140/ DRZ125/ CRF100F/ XR 100/ CRF150F (air cooled) and TT-R125/ Pitster XTR 150/ Pitster XTR230 (NO liquid cooled CRF150Rs allowed) Versions of bikes above with 14-inch rear wheels and 17-inch front wheels are acceptable in this class. All bikes are closed cradle frame and manual clutches.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]Womens 10/12 Open
[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]May race any bike that adheres to the 10 Open/10 SS and
[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]12 Open/12 SS rules. Manual Clutches are allowed.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]Vintage 8 in.[/FONT][FONT=Impact, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]Z 50/ Monkeys/ etc.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]All bikes must use Air-cooled, 4-stroke engines (maximum 88cc) with Open Cradle Frames.(no Aluminum frame), 2 shocks (or hardtail) on the frame , Manual Clutches are allowed. Maximum Wheel Base is 40 inches. Both wheels must be solid. NO regular spokes!
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]T-BOLT USA Import Class
[/FONT]
[FONT=Impact, sans-serif]Open to any import pitbike[/FONT]

Skooter-- Did you see where they say that 150R's are allowed to run with the Big Wheeled bikes? Why would you run anything else?

I dunno. Those rules are pretty extensive. Did you see the ones I outlined a few posts up? Alot simpler, and alot less classes to deal with. 8 classes are plenty at a pit bike event. Ya start doing too many, and it's like big bikes. --L*64

Skooter-- Did you see where they say that 150R's are allowed to run with the Big Wheeled bikes? Why would you run anything else?

I dunno. Those rules are pretty extensive. Did you see the ones I outlined a few posts up? Alot simpler, and alot less classes to deal with. 8 classes are plenty at a pit bike event. Ya start doing too many, and it's like big bikes. --L*64
\
I did see it. Sounds good to me. The 2up series runs on the East Coast. I think until we get more at the races maybe the only thing would be to put 14" and bigger into a open class and just score them seperate. It would be sweet to have a state wide series that hit the best tracks from North to South. I have ridden alot at FastTraxx in Nelsonville and it is a blast on a pit bike.

keith stone

\
I did see it. Sounds good to me. The 2up series runs on the East Coast. I think until we get more at the races maybe the only thing would be to put 14" and bigger into a open class and just score them seperate. It would be sweet to have a state wide series that hit the best tracks from North to South. I have ridden alot at FastTraxx in Nelsonville and it is a blast on a pit bike.
if your knees aren't by your ears than it's not a pit bike. it's not supposed to be comfotable and easy to ride

Back