Ok- What Really Happened to D-12?

fmxpaul

PR Addict
So it has been bugging the hell out of me and I can't keep giving out answers to people that ask me- generic answers like "low turnouts" and other one lined statements that don't seem to cut it. They ask me in detail and I simply do not have the answers. I keep saying "I'll post on Pitracer & we'll see if we get the truth".

Who actually RAN the AMA District 12? What specifically happened? Why is it gone? Several of the tracks are still open and get good turnouts. What gives? Can you "Pit Posse" gurus fully explain and create a dialog to whether or not we will ever see another AMA district in this area? WHY has CRA been able to survive and not D-12?? What's the difference? Who failed? What failed? (don't even say the economy because that's BS- racers ALWAYS find a way to race & ride)

I'm just really at a loss and I would love to see another D-12. So what happened?

I raced d12 on a quad but they stoped allowing quads and I know they had a good amount of quads show up every week .I liked all the tracks so it was fun sucks its gone

I found an interesting article when I was looking at the WNYRacing stuff. I found it strange I had never heard of them before.

Check out this article. Sort of reminds me of how racing in Ohio is all subdivided and thinned out.

http://api.ning.com/files/kqBP9pYko...NYRacingsProposaltoUnifyingMotocrossinWNY.pdf

I will say that one of the downfalls of D-12 is that the AMA is not all that supportive of local MX in my opinion. They make it more difficult and expensive.

I think Rodgers and JO being friends and helping each other is a start......they both have the top Drawing tracks...one is CRA and one is outlaw.....another out there is not running?? CRA needs a whole New way of doing things....New ideas....New is the key.....I think it starts with these two guys in all honestly....I talked to Jason at briar race....he ran Malvern sat night then drove down....he has good ideas....and JO is the best promoter in the biz.....work together and bring back the Ohio racing scene...too many races running on the same weekend.....Jason has a ace up his sleeve for 2013.... That's up to him to say what it is.....when the time comes. I always say....put the best tracks together....briar....OIR...Malvern....beans....dirt world....and in a dream apple! Lol how many people are drooling of that series!! Each track runs sat morning practice,Then race sunday...Dreams are awesome!

I will say that one of the downfalls of D-12 is that the AMA is not all that supportive of local MX in my opinion. They make it more difficult and expensive.

I think that is an understatement. AMA is almost abusive and punative in their fees and restrictions, not just on racers but their promoters. Some promoters are of the opinion that the AMA wants to get out of amateur competition side of things altogether, and rae basically "raping and pillaging" on tehir way out. I would not be surprised to see some big AMA events go outlaw, or begin banding together under smaller non-AMA organizations even wtthin the next year.

D12 was ran by connie and the tracks that were in it. Then at the annual meeting to pick dates and create the new schedule a hand full of tracks announced they were dropping out to create their own sanctioning body. The remaining tracks decided to go our separate ways as when the tracks left they took the sponsor with them.
The biggest problem with running AMA races is the cost of AMA insurance. That combined with convincing riders to pay$40 to join the ama just to race at a few events.

Don't mind paying the membership fee. We just paid $25 for a CRA card and will only race 2 races this year. Western Reserve. Just like to ride and have fun. It will always be that way. We are having big time fun. All the tracks we ride at are awesome. Just happy that we have so many choices within a 2 hour drive in any direction.

When I ran D-12, it seemed to have great turnouts. Why in the hell would "several tracks" decide to go their own way? Is that the "Greed" thing? Well s**t if it was Scenic being greedy look how that turned out for him... So it's that simple is it? "We're going to start our own series so we can make all the money and not pay AMA insurance?" Wow that sucks.. ruined what once was a well respected district and what's left is now simply a pale shadow of it's former self.

Did I also hear that the AMA wants no part of amatuer racing? But we're the idiots that paid the dues and they're turning their backs on the riders/racers? That seems "a bit off" somewhere...

I like any sanctioning body that can stick around like Good Ole' CRA but AMA is national and carries (or carried) more weight and the CRA, except for OIR in '08 had "sub par" tracks. I mean look at Pymatuning & Lightning for example...

Shouldn't all the tracks around here get together and have one district/Series?

We at sandusky valley were the only d12 track the year that it folded. We decided not to demand our riders to be ama members since we were the only ama track in the north half of ohio. I am a member since they are the only group fighting for our rights to ride.

Connie put a lot of hard work into D-12 so big thanks to her!

Think the declining economy affected the turn outs & how far many people were willing to travel.

I do appreciate the comment s toward Jason and I, we are trying. I may be wrong but the root of the D-12 fallout were the turnouts. I can only assume this because they tried bringing me into OHMX, and they hinted at that as a reason. So as good as you thought the turnouts were, they werent good enough.

I do appreciate the comment s toward Jason and I, we are trying. I may be wrong but the root of the D-12 fallout were the turnouts. I can only assume this because they tried bringing me into OHMX, and they hinted at that as a reason. So as good as you thought the turnouts were, they werent good enough.

If that's true- why would they try to start their own series? Shouldn't they just run prepped practices and no races, like they do now (or some of them anyway) That's why I posted this. To create a dialog and just maybe, get some answers.

Remember OMG, was gonna be this huge huff puff woo-hoo of a sanctioning body to replace d-12. Prepaid members got busted.

I have no idea why it went under. Mike@dirtworld would probably be one of the best sources of info on this detail as he was highly involved in d-12.

You guys all talk about the past....d12 is over....it's not coming back....It's time for NEW ideas,Those OLD ones did not work,for some reason or another.....Look at the two tracks that get the most people...That's where you start from....Two guys who have a clue what they are doing...and get turn outs...Malvern has been getting turnouts for 20 years.....Briar just had 400 racers.... That's where u Start.

First and foremost I want to thank 315 for the compliments and words of encouragement. Jeremy's friendship and occasional advice is worth it's weight in gold. We have had a lot of conversations about the future of Ohio mx but at this time it is just bouncing ideas off each other. Where ever it may or may not lead one thing is for sure nothing will be done half assed. Jeremy and I both pour our heart into our facility and reputation. I kind of missed most of the d-12 scene. I raced hardcore from 1992 to 2001, like never missed a race. Kept the bikes and would still ride but took a break from the race scene to start a business and a family. Fast forward 10 years and my sons want to start racing so I am back. So having said that, I don't know much about what happened. I do know that Connie is a sweet hart and have no doubt she gave it a 100%. Jason

You guys all talk about the past....d12 is over....it's not coming back....It's time for NEW ideas,Those OLD ones did not work,for some reason or another.....Look at the two tracks that get the most people...That's where you start from....Two guys who have a clue what they are doing...and get turn outs...Malvern has been getting turnouts for 20 years.....Briar just had 400 racers.... That's where u Start.

Totally agree. A series that would be worth running for points. The new sanctioning body? The old one? Call it whatever you want but it seems like a such a waste of tracks & riders to be this un organized.

Back