Hey LuckyStar64....hope you don't have a 401K...Obama is coming for it...

The cost of gas is def hurting the sport. I'm getting sick of people saying that gas is so cheap now when it goes down to $3.25 a gallon too. I dunno-- I don't see things getting alot worse than they are now, but I'd like to prosper like I did pre-2008. It depends on alot of things.

Personally-- I have a scarred psyche. I'm planning on downsizing across the board. I'm probably going to be selling off 3 of the 9 bikes I have now. I plan on selling my house in the next couple years, and getting something smaller. I've been trying to get some debt paid off in general. It's a different way of living I guess. --L*64

All movements need a leader, the tea party lacks a good leader. The ideas and vibe of the tea party does appeal to so many people because it symbolizes change, everyone wants change, but without someone directing that energy there will be no serious prgress to be made.

I'll need to somewhat disagree. If the Tea Party as a movement had a designated leader, that leader would become a target of the Left (major media included) and at this point the Republican leadership. The ridicule and demonization of that individual would be unsurvivable and that person would basically serve a sacrificial role. Ideally the movement should remain somewhat nebulous in structure while retaining a presence to give consolation as well as direction to conservatives and occupy the Left as an adversarial presence. What the movement needs is studied and tested conservative candidates to support. In today's environment any true conservative should satisfy those requirements just as a point of survival. I have some ideas as to viable candidates. Nothing is really going to improve for productive Americans in the coming years. We are at a critical point in history. Who knows how this will play out?

The two that I think of as at the forefront of the tea party on a national scale is Michelle Bauchman and Sarah Palin. Like them or hate them, they are true patriots and believe in conservative principles. Take out everything you see about them in the liberal media, and both are very smart ladies at the end of the day with great principles. IMO. And neither is bad to see on TV!

The two that I think of as at the forefront of the tea party on a national scale is Michelle Bauchman and Sarah Palin. [stuff redacted]
And neither is bad to see on TV!

I was really looking forward to Sarah coming to someplace close enough in '08 that I could make a rally.
I wanted to hold up my "Show us your Tits" sign. Just to show my deep and abiding respect for her. Tits.

Never came near here.

I was really looking forward to Sarah coming to someplace close enough in '08 that I could make a rally.
I wanted to hold up my "Show us your Tits" sign. Just to show my deep and abiding respect for her. Tits.

Never came near here.

WOW! you are an ass. How old are you and obviously you have no respect for women!

Ehh. I thought Sarah P. was kinda hot when I first saw her, but once she opened her mouth- I was done with her. Not presidential material at all. About the same as Chelsea Handler maybe. I guess she did OK with Alaska, but I don't care for her personality. Now... Anybody know who Erin Burnett is? She's a class act all the way around. Pretty sharp too. ---L*64

Back on point where this thread started before we slid into "tits" :), (possible loss of tax breaks on 401K's and IRA's for revenue purposes for Washington).

There is a reason that post-tax retirement accounts have gained in popularity. For someone who is 15-25 years from their retirement date, slim chance that the tax rate, or dollar value will be as good as it is today.

And the tax rate "Then" and depreciated value of the dollar at that time may easily absorb any accumulated gains from compounding and investment growth on the amounts tax deferred (gains "only on" the difference of deferred vs non-deferred).

That's my understanding anyway?

I'll need to somewhat disagree. If the Tea Party as a movement had a designated leader, that leader would become a target of the Left (major media included) and at this point the Republican leadership. The ridicule and demonization of that individual would be unsurvivable and that person would basically serve a sacrificial role. Ideally the movement should remain somewhat nebulous in structure while retaining a presence to give consolation as well as direction to conservatives and occupy the Left as an adversarial presence. What the movement needs is studied and tested conservative candidates to support. In today's environment any true conservative should satisfy those requirements just as a point of survival. I have some ideas as to viable candidates. Nothing is really going to improve for productive Americans in the coming years. We are at a critical point in history. Who knows how this will play out?

Absoluetly right. If an individual ever represents the Tea Party, then liberals will do what they do - personal attacks, personal smears, and personal lies and muchraking until the person is destroyed. As movement, they are forced to actually confront the Tea Party ideology which they are totally incapable of doing. Sure, they've tried to go after them in the usual way, calling them racists and attacking the imaginary Koch brothers who no one on either side had ever heard of, but none of that sticks.

This is evidenced by the attacks on Sarah Palin. Rather than specific complaints about specfic issues, its either personal, or something Tina Fey said that they are unable to distinguish the difference. Its disingenuous to attack her thin resume for the VP position while praising Obama's resume for the #1 slot.

Really, if you want to see a couple of boobs, just look at a photo of the winning ticket.

Ill have to re-read your post when I'm not so tired. Basically-- the dynamics of investing, which used to entail buying solid stocks and holding on to them for 30 years-- has changed towards a climate of taking profits day by day, and trade by trade. I'm imagining that the instruments employed to maximize retirement funds will have to be re-evaluated as well, based on newly imposed legislation. Nobody likes change, but it may be inevitable in order to meet with success 20 years from now. --L*64

bottom line 401ks suck, mine has made 5% in 12 years

look at the cost of gas alone in last 12 years

no retirement for most of my generation, even if we did we will get screwed out of it somehow

Agreed 801. I stopped contributing quite some time ago, and I told them to start making money with whats in there, and that I was not interested in a modified saving account. I found new ways to invest my money in a hot new stock that I had way more confidence in, I invested in me.

I'm considering just taking what I have in and buying gold. Cancel my 401k and just invest in Gold every payday.... My old man lost a ton of money in his 401k, so much it made me nauseas when I saw the numbers in 07. That money went somewhere.....to some fat cat......

Back