OMA X classes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonny rocket

PR Member
We joked about this the other day, but im seriously starting to think this might work:

Ok so here's the deal, you can sign up for any class your mind can make up, we will let you run all the practice groups, then we will give a 1st place trophy and you can go home! You dont even have to wait around or nothing. And forget about actually having to put in effort to race hard, because we know thats like work and stuff. Think about it, you wont be out anymore money, you get to feel like you actually accomplished something, and you'll have a trophy to prove it! I think this would work for about 50% of you.

Who's in??

Looks like Dr. Willis and I are the only takers for the "black cr no shirt class".....I need a few trophy's to go next to my fair cross plaques from 01.
AAAAnd I know my boy Chase is gonna do a good job with them trophy's.
Does the OMA have any standing rules on open face helmets?...seriously

sturd

PR Addict
We joked about this the other day, but im seriously starting to think this might work:

Ok so here's the deal, you can sign up for any class your mind can make up, we will let you run all the practice groups, then we will give a 1st place trophy and you can go home! You dont even have to wait around or nothing. And forget about actually having to put in effort to race hard, because we know thats like work and stuff. Think about it, you wont be out anymore money, you get to feel like you actually accomplished something, and you'll have a trophy to prove it! I think this would work for about 50% of you.

Who's in??

Not me, I think I'm at the other end of the spectrum. I haven't picked up an earned
trophy in years. What am I gonna do with it? Stack it on top of the boxes of them
in the basement? And the cheese plates are even worse in that they seemed like
a good idea for a while and now there is a black hole worth of them down there.

Western Reserve gives you a t-shirt if you want, I've been collecting them but
I'm getting to where maybe that's a bad idea too unless I need rags.

I'm there to race, not get a silly bowling trophy.

The trials guys have a system where they trade trophies, or a least did
when I was running some of their events. The club
only buys the little adhesive plaque. Everybody that wants a trophy
brings a trophy, with the old plaque peeled off and probably plastered
on a garage wall, and takes away a new trophy with a new plaque. Not
necessariy the trophy they brought. Cost far less and no neutron
stars threatening to grow into a black hole in the basement.

washel157

PR Addict
Thats an excellent question kenny, so why cant guys who feel competitive in 25+A not run pro bike/open A?

Heck Gibby runs 30+ now, so whats the difference?

I still run Open A here and there. I did at the Battle race but heck, I`ll be 38 this May and it`s hard for me to make any money in Open A. Why not combine the two and have Vet Expert with a cash payout like PAMX? Then you wouldn`t need the Sport class. What is the Open A payout % anyway?

Kenny Henry

PR Member
I still run Open A here and there. I did at the Battle race but heck, I`ll be 38 this May and it`s hard for me to make any money in Open A. Why not combine the two and have Vet Expert with a cash payout like PAMX? Then you wouldn`t need the Sport class. What is the Open A payout % anyway?

I asked that in another thread. It's up to the track to determine payout. Big reason why I race in New York more. 200 Percent payout in two classes and I know there will be 10-15 guys in each class.

MalvernMX

Malvern's payout went up to 200% this past fall. This is the least ours will be and I am considering raising it. I know Jeremy's was 300% at the battle last year. This is on the list to be addressed at our next meeting as to wether this will be a per track decision or an OMA wide thing.

hershey

PR Elite

I cant imagine a bigger gate for a Vet A class than the Sport class. The sport class will bring guys to the gate that otherwise would be afraid to race with the faster vet class riders.

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
I cant imagine a bigger gate for a Vet A class than the Sport class. The sport class will bring guys to the gate that otherwise would be afraid to race with the faster vet class riders.

Yeah the majority of vets aren't tryin to make money......They're just trying to spend tons of it to ride/race. ;) After my student loans are paid off I plan on being one of those blow lots of money vets, and have really nice tricked out bikes.

PitRacer

PR Founding Father
I looked through some of the PAMX results, and they have 3-6 guys racing the +25A & +35A classes. That is a waste.

In D-12, the biggest class was usually Vet +30C on any given race. To me, that is the largest market of racers right now -- Vet riders/racers who do not feel comfortable doing the big jumps or might be newer to the sport.

I think having 3 vet classes to start out with is totally fine. Vet Sport gives those Novice racers somewhere to go without having to race against Jeff Gibson in +30 or Dave Hand in +40. Someone like me -- I will get smoked by the Vet A riders but I'm confident enough to at least line up and race against them so I'm fine just filling in the pack. At a race that a lot of the fast guys don't show I can have better results.

A future option could be something like this -- instead of offering an exact Series that everyone races like Spring Series or Fall Series with all the same classes all year long, you could have additional classes added at some events that makes the series for those classes.

For example, pick 5 races and add in more ATV classes for those races and those would be the ATV Championship Series events. Take another 5 races and expand the Vet bike classes and make those the Vet championship series. And so on.

I think that for 2013 everything looks great. We have it way too good in Ohio that we can nit-pick every little thing and pick a different race/sanction/track/practice because of some little thing we don't agree with. CRA has never split the Vet classes into skill levels and I don't think I've ever seen anyone complain about that.

Be happy we have so many options! Like Spagina said -- if you move somewhere else you will see how lucky we have it in Ohio!

ken

PR Member
You're right PR, we cannot get the older fast guys to show up regualrly. However, our 25a runs with 25b, which is exactly how is was for years except there was no A or B designation. So the gate is actually decent size 18-20 guys. 35A is a different story, we cannot get anything going there, but we wanted to offer any older vets 40 plus a money class, becasue that is all we heard that they wanted one, then they only race when then can, but we still offer it. They usually have their own gate, but are staggered before our Vet B/C always.

washel157

PR Addict
Usually what happens is the 25A and 30A (or PAMX Vet Expert) go off the gate the same time as another fast class or it`s stagger started with 25+B/C or 30+B/C. Never do we run our own seperate moto with only 3-6 guys on the track. The addition of this class would not even be noticable.

MalvernMX

Let's be realistic here any vet rider claiming to need to be able to receive cash to fund their racing is only kidding themselves. There just isn't that kind of money there. I understand the whole don't want trophies anymore thing. I honestly feel we have given other options to address that. A couple of those, track bucks and gas cards essentially being as good as cash. Washel please don't take this directed personally at you, I'm just trying to give a realistic response. Again for the record, I would love it if the numbers in +classes would justify the creation of this class. Sign me up. Bottom line is we need to start somewhere and we can not thin the classes that much the first year. I realize you still don't agree for personal reasons but hope you can understand and respect why this is the way it has to be for now.

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
Dont forget that both Jason and I have taken out classes that we personally would do fairly well in. He in Vet 30+A, and I would love a Q30+. So dont think he are making this decisions for personal preference. We look at this in terms of whats best for the group.

Double D

PR Founding Father
Just put a shopping cart on your website, right next to the beanies and hoodies, you can have a first place trophy. $50 bucks.
No getting up early, no waiting around. Perfect. Put it in the mail and ond Monday morning they can take it to the office for show and tell.

Who's in??

shockme#62

PR Member
i have keep my wife happy all yr when the tracks gave shirts or a plaq i got a shirt for her, she loves it, gotta keep them happy.

beamer315

PR Addict
I still say we make a 250lbs+ class haha

At the fire and police be edit every year we have a Clydesdale class as we call it. Mainly because a couple of the NYC PD guys are monsters of men. And by now means are any of them slow. They just make 450s look small. Matter of fact my buddy Tom has the largest springs factory connection could get him and they said it is actually undersprung.

John250

PR Founding Father
I am thinking the top 10 in the sport class at the battle of ohio should have all been in the regular Vet 40

John250

PR Founding Father
Did you finish 11th or something? Wa wa wa< Spoken in Charlie Brown.

Nope........12th. Had a not so good start in moto 1, and rode to 8th. In moto 2 I went into the first turn at the front of the pack and blew it myself..........went from last to 16th. So honestly, I dont think I should have been in the sport class either, but signed up for it. I know I was slowing up to not triple that triple going into the right hander, and wanted to just hit it every lap. I had a couple other D11 guys convince me to sign up for sport. I wont be signing up for sport next year in OMA.....will race and finish where I finish.

shockme#62

PR Member
well i will be 54 in 2013 race as often as i can, due to work, i usually race cra 40 class and 50 class, vet ntl. 45,50. The top 2 to 5 riders race all season for top final points, very happy for them, so with OMA what classes do i run? i only go to race if i race 2 classes. i will join OMA this next yr. the tracks they have on the list look great and different tracks are good, change is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.