SPEAKING of TAXES Heading towards the *FISCAL CLIFF*

My wife voted for "Obozo", and when I pulled this up and let her read it, she started yelling and cussing.

This is like Super Duper Major League slap in the face Absurd!

Our Government is failing us and our country, and this President rewards them all with a salary raise, when the country should be taking "VERY MUCH NEEDED AUSTERITY MEASURES" which would likely slow the progress on economic growth and maybe pull us to recession. A tough pill, but the right plan to get our ass out of this financial jam.

You are not gonna borrow and spend your way out of debt!

As a city councilman, our city had declining tax revenue........what did we do?
A. hire more people and give raises?
B. Keep spending money, and borrowing more money to spend even more?
C. Not pass a budget for three years?
D. Eliminate departments, cut jobs, negociate "zero" percent pay increases for union members, and pass a budget that kept us in the black each and every year (because state law requires us to pass a budget).

DING DING DING........you are CORRRECT, D. We had to look at the departments and jobs, and make the HARD decisions. Some VERY hard to make because they affected peoples lively hoods, but it was a decision that HAD TO BE MADE to keep our city afloat. Washington is broke! It is time that 90% of the Senators and Congressman are replaced, because they either are too stupid to get it, or just do not understand it.

Washington is broke! It is time that 90% of the Senators and Congressman are replaced, because they either are too stupid to get it, or just do not understand it.

I'm sure some of the newer members of Congress do get it, but they probably take a lot of heat and pressure from other House and Senate members when they attempt to impose change. And I would bet there is some dirty backstabbing deals that go on as well. I heard one analyst speak on Sunday morning that a huge issue and part of the problem are the long term members that come from secure states and districts and they're not under the constant threat of being ousted.

Unfortunately it makes the argument for term limits, which is counterproductive once you have a good congressman that is hard working, honest and knows how to get things done in Washington.

Unfortunately it makes the argument for term limits, which is counterproductive once you have a good congressman that is hard working, honest and knows how to get things done in Washington.

The catch 22 on term limits for sure!

I keep stewing over what just happened in this Fiscal Cliff deal.

I think the general public has amnesia or really pays very little attention to what is happening here, and it's a crime that we have such an awesome country to call our own, and that we are the biggest world super power, yet we'll tolerate such mishandlings from our government.

This whole fiasco started with us hitting our borrowing debt limit back in August. It's a debt limit law! NO MORE BORROWING. The debt limit law is there for a reason.

But because the current administration can't come up with enough leadership to fix the situation, they decide to just issue a new law supeseding the other law, and just raise that debt limit cieling higher. But, being held accountable by a few they write in some language to resolve the matter either by planned policy changes or by forced automatic policy changes. And both houses passed the Bill and the Prez signs it into Law. ( Budget Control Act of 2011 ).

But because that law is too dificult for us to live with, (or causes too much damage to the Congress members and Prez politically). We just draft up another new law to supersede the previous again, and we'll just keep doing what we've been doing that has gotten us into this mess. And in a very short while, we will hit the borrowing debt limit again, and he will push to raise the cieling once more?

Where does it stop? How does this story end?
Will we be the next Greece?

Where does it stop? How does this story end?
Will we be the next Greece?

I feel exactly the same way, unfortunately I think the only thing that will show the people of this country and our government that things nee d to change is what you said at the end there........

I agree on most points but I must point out the fact that we didn't get to were we are today in just one or two terms this Mess we are in took decades and they are trying to figure out how to deal with it. Although I despise our politicians and the corruption that politics in general is saturated with. The animosity towards our government is justified regardless of party affiliation, but please don't try and put all this in one nutshell as if we all just woke up from a terrible "Reaganistic Cheny induced" Coma.

Lets not forget the whole problem started with REAGANOMICS! Bill Clinton corrected it and got us on track with a surplus in Washington. Then The Bush and Cheney administrations picked up where Reagan left off. They drilled holes in the ship, and broke off the rudder to boot, So here we are adrift in a Sea of Economic disaster. All the while we argue among ourselves as the Wealthiest count their hordes in thier life boats.

I am not so distracted by these tactics. Not then or recently. I have lived through it and experienced it regardless of how many times someone from the GOP, I guess Dem's are just as guilty, stand on capitol hill and says LOOK over hear! or 911, or whatever spectacle, or shiny object, distracts the general public from how they were raping the U.S. of its wealth and padding their wallets and those they lay in bed with. I.E. War costs money and Some people get very wealthy from it, Greedy banks, and shady loans, Failed businesses, Do we all have amnesia? Get mad at your ignorant neighbor who refinanced more than they could afford to live the rock and roll lifestyle for a couple of years. These things had to be paid for and we are stuck with the bill. So many areas to point fingers But we are, As i have said before, on the cusp of what could be a significant point in history as to how we live.

Lets not forget the whole problem started with REAGANOMICS! Bill Clinton corrected it and got us on track with a surplus in Washington. Then The Bush and Cheney administrations picked up where Reagan left off. They drilled holes in the ship, and broke off the rudder to boot, So here we are adrift in a Sea of Economic disaster. All the while we argue among ourselves as the Wealthiest count their hordes in thier life boats.

LOL...The wool pulled over your eyes!

CLINTON FORCED THE BANKS TO GIVE LOANS TO UNQUALIFIED BORROWERS!!!

This caused the chain reaction of defaults never seen before in our country!

OBAMA DOUBLED the defecit his first term by INCREASED spending with LARGER GOVERNMENT. The OBAMANATION of our economy is the worst ever seen, he created more debt than ALL administrations combined prior to him......

To blame this on one party or another IS WRONG! But to say Clinton got us back on track ??? Funny schnit there! Both parties caused the problems, the house and senate voted for the measures that got us here. The pres is just the leader that leads them where to vote.

Under the Obama administration, there are more people in the federal govt making over $100,000 and $150,000 than ever before in histroy. He has also added to the number of federal workers in record numbers. When you HAVE NO MONEY, you dont give record pay increases, and add record number of positions in govt. Personnel is the biggest expense in the budget with wages and benefits. This is irresposible government at its best.

They are going to vote on relief aide for Hurricane Sandy victims this weekend. The aide is needed. BUT, they could not even give aide where it is needed with out adding another 28 MILLION dollars in PORK to the legislation for AIDE! Come on.........all the members that vote for this bill should be removed from office by the tax payers. Have a back bone and stand up and say, I am NOT voting on an aide package that is filled with PORK! But they will not do this, they will vote for it. I can not wait to see the list of the guys that have the back bone to vote NO on this bill this weekend.

I about swallowed my chewing gum when the New York and Jersey politicians were criticizing Boehner for not letting the Senates version of the Sandy Relief bill come to the floor before the existing congress recessed. They drafted up a relief bill for "$60 Billion", and then tried to shame the house for not accepting it at face value. What's another $60 Billion when your borrowing it anyway?

And speaking of pork barrel spending in these Bills, has Obama ever taken advantage of his Line Item Veto option to control federal spending?

LOL...The wool pulled over your eyes!

CLINTON FORCED THE BANKS TO GIVE LOANS TO UNQUALIFIED BORROWERS!!!

This caused the chain reaction of defaults never seen before in our country!

Well somewhat........
My understanding is the Banking industry had been itching for a looooong time to be able to get back involved in the Securities exchange activities and risky investment practices, which they were regulated from doing since the Great Depression. He basically "Deregulated" the banking industry by approving and signing the Glass-Steagall Act which ultimately led to the 2008 meltdown.

And my number one criticism of GW Bush was that he had 8 years to get regulation back in place and get the banks and housing bubble situation under control, but did nothing. Furthermore the regulators that he did have were seriously understaffed, underqualified, and underfunded departments with very limited authority which allowed BS like the Madoff scandal to exist.

Yea, many of our past Presidents and Congress's own this mess.

I never understood just how many people were in the house of reps. and how many arent representatives.

Here

I cant find the same list for the senate but everything I do find says they make $174,000 a year. And they are allowed 3 assistants totaling about the same for their salaries combined.

Seems a bit could be cut there too

Well somewhat........
My understanding is the Banking industry had been itching for a looooong time to be able to get back involved in the Securities exchange activities and risky investment practices, which they were regulated from doing since the Great Depression. He basically "Deregulated" the banking industry by approving and signing the Glass-Steagall Act which ultimately led to the 2008 meltdown.

And my number one criticism of GW Bush was that he had 8 years to get regulation back in place and get the banks and housing bubble situation under control, but did nothing. Furthermore the regulators that he did have were seriously understaffed, underqualified, and underfunded departments with very limited authority which allowed BS like the Madoff scandal to exist.

Yea, many of our past Presidents and Congress's own this mess.

Banking can only operate under the most comprehensive of government created regulations. For government officials to then scapegoat the banking industry is ridiculous. And yes the 2008 meltdown can be traced way back to FDR. But the final timing of that meltdown was very convenient to Obama's election.

Many had problems with the most recent President Bush. The demonised Tea Party actually materialized in response to Bush administration policies even though the prevailing spin would have it in response to Obama.

Remember Ross Perot " I am all ears" well he said another thing that is still ringing in my head.

He said if Bill Clinton pushes through NAFTA "You will hear a big sucking sound of all the jobs leaving the usa"

We need jobs here. The government definition is screwed up on who the rich is.
Go after the very rich that pay no taxes because they put there money in other countries and off shore.

FYI, The current president will always be blamed for the mess the last one made.

Its like standing in a room where someone farts then leaves. If you are still standing there you will be blamed for the smell!! ha ha

NQ1965.......you and I both. I thought Perot was the best option for sure in both those elections.

Yep me too. We just put clinton in by voting for him.
The Obama effect will kick in after his term. The democrats will allow a republican in next just to take the blame.
Mark this down. There will never be another republican president.
Hope im wrong.

Back