CRF vs. KXF vs. RMZ

Spagina

PR Elite
So, I am in a dilema. I am looking at these 3 450's, and would like to pick one up to buy in the next month.

CRF - I will only buy a 2013... i have something against spending loads of money on a brand new bike, and it not being the current looking model... so the 12' is out. They are the most expensive of the group. Also, the dual exhausts are dumb and it will be a lot to change it. Plus it has air forks. That being said, I have always loved how Hondas feel. i rode a 12 and it was awesome. I had a 04 crf 250, an 06 250, and an 05 450... I have a CR 250 now and i love it.

KXF - Only real changes for 13' are the air forks (which im not entirely sold on), and the swingarm... so the 12 essentially is still the curent model, minus the air forks. so i would consider a 12-13 i guess. I loved my 2007 KXF, and my 2009. the kx is basically middle of the road on pricing too.

RMZ - Cheap! I can get a 13 RMZ cheaper than a leftover 12' of either of the other bikes... saving me over $1,000. I loved my 05 RMZ 450. I HATED my 2008 RMZ 450, it handled terrible. Indoors it was good but outdoors it felt really twitchy and deflected off things a lot. It also felt a bit shorter, length wise, than other bikes and i felt like the handlebars were way over the front tire, rather than behind it. I havent rode a newer RMZ so i really dont know.

I dont really go off of reviews because who knows how accurate they are. I just would like some peoples input to help me make a decision. The bike is going to have to last me two years, so getting a 13 makes the most sense for resale, and contingency purposes... but i also dont want to buy the wrong bike and be stuck with it.

Who has these bikes that could help me out with some info?

I have the 13 crf450. I think it's the best handling, best suspended bike I have had in a while. I am a Honda guy, so take it for what its worth. This CRF is all stock except the exhaust that I just put on, and haven't rode with it yet. FMF_Item_041500.jpg I rode the bike up the rode a little bit and the exhaust makes a huge difference. I also raced it at the WR GP and the suspension stock clickers were really good. Definitely workable with some clicker adjustments. The air forks work better then my 2012 right now and all I have done is messed with the air pressure. (stock is 33lb and I am at 34lb) The front is like you have the best front tire on at all times, its seems always hooked up. Hope that helps. Ride Red! haah

The 2012 Pot Stirrer has some input on this. I rode 2 '13 RMZ450's, a '13 KXF450 and Chris's '13 CRF450. I own a '12 YZ450F just for reference. All of them bone stock at the point I rode them.

The KXF has a fantastic motor, best of the three. Comes on strong and pulls harder all the way up. The handling is ok, it felt to me that it cornered much like my YZ. The suspension was just ok too. A little harsh for me but Im a little guy. The motor is awesome in case I forgot to mention that! Lol

The CRF had the best handling IMO. It isnt the best cornering but it is predictable and stable with very good cornering. The suspension felt very good overall. The motor in stock form stinks compared to the the others. Slower than all the others,YZ and KTM too ( the '12 Dungey model I rode ). Chris can fill you in on the motor with pipe after he rides it on the street more!

The RMZ corners the best for me. Its on rails. The motor is second to the KXF, a close second. Crute put a pipe on his and that brought it up to par with the KXF. The handling is not so hot. The bike is just plain busy. I have rode 2 of the '13's and they are the same even with different setups. Even though I love the bike I hate the damn thing. I just never felt relaxed on either one. Comfortable but not relaxed. Does that even make sense? I guess I would explain it like you know you can go fast on it and pick your lines then carve the inside line but if you dont think about what your doing, where your going and what bump is next you feel like it might do something you dont want it to. The suspension stinks compared to the rest. You feel every damn bump in the bars and the front end is busy already....hence never getting that relaxed feeling.

Conclusion. The suspension on my YZ is worlds better than any of the others. That being said, if I could get the RMZ with my suspension and put the FMF pipe on it I would be in heaven. In stock form I think I would take the Honda over all 5 if the motor was half decent. It would be a toss between it and the RMZ. I might lean to the CRF only because getting a little umph out of the motor is sometimes easier than getting handling and suspension squared away.

Then again they almost had to jump on the track in front of me to get me off Crutes bike yesterday!

you werent going to give that thing back if we didnt.

i got to get the suspension figured out.. once I do that bike will be perfect.

I have never understood why people complain about the CRF motor. I have ridden all the brands and while it may be the "slowest" it is by far the easiest to ride and go fast on. That means everything to me. A "slow" feeling 450 is an ideal bike IMO.

I rode a 13 CRF. I just always feel right at home on a red bike. My yz250 is just filling the void until I figure out how to get a Honda.

Snag the Honda Spagina. You won't regret it. Rode my uncles 13 rmz450 in a field. Wasn't impressed.

Hell sharc bought an rmz then bought a kx. Except he was back on his rmz at ncmp. So what's the story behind that sharcy??

I have never understood why people complain about the CRF motor. I have ridden all the brands and while it may be the "slowest" it is by far the easiest to ride and go fast on. That means everything to me. A "slow" feeling 450 is an ideal bike IMO.

that exactly how i am. i would rather have smooth, easy to ride motor than one with a huge hit and tons of power. even the slowest 450 has way more HP and torque than my 250 2-stroke, or any 250f, so it is enough for me. with some ignition mapping, and a pipe, im sure it would be amazing. from what im reading, it looks like a honda is the way to go. saving a thousand dollars isnt worth it for me. heck, i can always sell the stock dual on ebay... im sure someone has already pretzeled theirs.

Do they make a single can aftermarket yet? id be interested in that, if its not 4 feet long like the old bikes.

AFTER RIDING ALL 3 BRANDS THIS WEEKEND, I WOULD TAKE THE DUNGENATOR OVER ALL, EXCEPT FOR THE PRICE. SHARC'S BIKE FELT REALLY GOOD EXCEPT FOR TERRIBLE HEAD SHAKE. SILVERS BIKE WAS SWEET, JUST NOT SET UP FOR A 5'7 STUD, SET UP FOR HIM.. i'M PROBABLY GONNA BUY HONDA UNLESS SHARC GIVES ME A GOOD PRICE

that exactly how i am. i would rather have smooth, easy to ride motor than one with a huge hit and tons of power.

On a dry track with no hills…Ok, it’s a wash. <O:p</O:p
The North Carolina mud this weekend sure made HP a thing that was noticeable.. <O:p</O:p
<O:p

Pro Circuit has a single pipe set up. Not sure if its available to the public yet. I was ready to buy my first new bike this year but beginning to rethink it now. But if I go through with it, i'd have a brand new Honda in the garage

There is NO WAY I would buy the first year of these air forks.
It is a huge distraction dicking around with the pressure.( It is always changing its resistance)
Poto is pissed off at his forks. he keeps losing the front end. (balance or whatever)
Let them figure it out first. Air changes its character with heat and altitude.
Just my opinion but I am 100% correct. there is nothing anyone can say that changes the fact that enviroment will change the forks performance.

Maybe they will add computer controlled air regulators on the forks like some cars have. Those will weigh 7lbs but at least they saved 2 lbs by not having springs!

see, now you guys just made me skeptical about the air forks part! i could always find some forks off of a 12 on ebay, and sell mine haha.

Back