CRF vs. KXF vs. RMZ

see, now you guys just made me skeptical about the air forks part! i could always find some forks off of a 12 on ebay, and sell mine haha.

That was my next comment, the Honda motor is ideal to me but man I don't know about these air forks. When I get one I will be keeping the forks off of my '12 CRF.

I wonder if you send the '13 forks out to be redone if there is a way to convert them back to a springed fork???

The motor will definitely need a pipe, it is that much slower. Its not just that it has more torque than your 250 2 stroke, it builds it much too slowly. There is just no snap to it. If you rode them all back to back you would understand. None of the others were too much at all. I am 150 lb and 45 years old, I understand about smooth on a 450! Lol

...says he's got a twenty for ya ......if you can pass him..
Challenge!!

I would not worry about air forks. the spring forks we used for years built up the same air pressure change with temperature and no one has complained about that. The air pressure would react the same on the air fork as the spring fork.

I would have a 2013 honda in my garage if it were not for the air forks. The motor did feel a little weak to me, I put about 40 min on a 13 honda before buying my suzuki. However, that is not what stopped me. its a 450, its still fast enough. With a pipe im sure it would be fine.

I've seen it first hand in the morning, the air fork pressure is one thing, 2 hours later its 4 or 5 pounds different. Thats annoying.

Ron Lachien, I'd say he is pretty credible, talked to him quite a bit before buying my bike.. He says he has a 13 kawi he doenst even ride because of them, he still rides his 12. He was getting ready to go to germany right when I talked to him, where he would have to ride a 13 and he wasnt excited about it. he said the past weekend at glen helen at the vet championship he witnessed 2 diff kawis eat it because their forks gave out.

its not like a leaky oil seal, when it goes, it goes. you pack up and go home. you dont wipe it off and keep going. I've also heard but am not sure if its true, that it almost acts like a vacuum and sucks them down when it goes.

regardless of if they leak or not, they will require maintenance. Sure you're probably supposed to maintain your forks that you have now every 15 hours but idk about you but I sure as hell don't. The air forks you probably are going to need to do that or you will have your issues.

the honda felt GREAT.. i felt very comfortable, it felt solid, light, etc... if it had normal forks I woulda been in, but I wanst ready to jump on first year production stuff. I made that mistake with my ktm 350 and had problems the first year off and on with injection issues and such, kind of learned my lesson with first year stuff.

The RMZ is a great package, if I can get the suepension sorted out. on most of our local smooth tracks it probably wont even be so much of an issue, but on a "real" motocross track that gets rough its going to be a challenge to stay on the damn thing.

im not 100% sure if im glad I got the RMZ instead of the Honda, but I'm definitely happy, so that is all that matters. At the end of the day, pick your favorite color and go with it...

air fork 2.jpg Air fork.jpg

This is why I will not have air forks lol

Wasn't D Durham running the air forks testing them. I thought he really liked them.
It'd all a conspiracy by the major companies to raise prices and profit due to less bike sales in the economy of today.... bring back smaller jumps...prepped tracks and two strokes!!! As I sadly want a new 450 yzf...

It all depends on what ur looking for, if u want a good all around performance and great reliability and quality u buy the Honda, or Ktm. If u want a bike that has great power but questionable on reliability u buy the Kwai, and if u want a bike that corners awesome but not the most power and questionable on reliability u buy the suz.

So you want a new bike.....you dont want a 12 honda because the looks.....but yet, your already asking about a single pipe, and you want to get '12 forks because you dont like air forks. I might be crazy......but go buy a '12 Honda!

As for air forks........i dont get it. The bikes are so freakin good already, why even jack with putting air forks on them at all. And it was said that the air forks were an issue for RV. Then take them off, and put regular forks on RVs bike. The factories never run stock suspension anyway.

And dozer.......when do you buy a Yamaha then?

It all depends on what ur looking for, if u want a good all around performance and great reliability and quality u buy the Honda, or Ktm. If u want a bike that has great power but questionable on reliability u buy the Kwai, and if u want a bike that corners awesome but not the most power and questionable on reliability u buy the suz.

I always thought it was easier and cheaper to make a slow bike fast than it was to fix a bad handling bike...

At my age and riding level, I like the KTM 12 dungey. e start, trick parts.
If you want a stock bike you can swing a leg over and race without extra $$$$$$
The RMZ or KTM is best bang for the buck.

You know what pioneers get? Arrows.

I agree DD.......if money is no object, I am not sure that the dungey KTM is not the best bike for the money. If your in the 40+ class, they should put E Start on all of them before we take them home.

That's an old pic I don ride a Yamaha anymore, but they r good bikes, I never had a prob with my yamahas. As far as the yz450 I really like it but some people don't like them they are a little wide in the fuel tank area, but all around a good bike. Can't beat the stock susp on a yamaha, or the durability

Back