CRF vs. KXF vs. RMZ

We noticed that the air pressure was changing in the 13' Kaw.
Have you been checking the pressure? I am sure they will make it better.
But air density is a moving target when it comes to heat, altitude and humidity.

We have been fighting air and nitrogen in the machine tool business as a counter weight for years.
a spring is constant. air is like your clickers changing as you ride.

I got a ride on my 13 Honda, the new exhaust was just what I wanted. I still haven't change suspension from stock, other then 34lbs in the forks. I think the bike handles better and its better suspended then my 12 right out of the crate. So far I haven't even thought about the forks other then to set them before first ride!

the only thing I can think of is there are other variables changing as we ride. wouldn't the air pressure change in the old spring forks be just as noticeable, but nobody ever complains. It may be that the same temp change that raises the air pressure is thinning out the oil that much that its not noticeable. I've read that once you set your pressure for the day you going by your original pressure, so if you start the day at 34lbs and an hour later you think you want to +- 1/2lb when you put the gauge on and it already reads 34.5 you still put in the .5lbs based on the starting pressure.

To help explain air fork maintenance to those who don't understand, the air replaces the springs. Once you figure your PSI for weight you don't adjust it but once a day befor you ride. And you do this every day befor you ride. You wouldn't fine tune your forks by changing your springs during a race or ride day so you won't need to change your air either. If you need to tune your feel you use your compression and rebound screws as you would conventional forks. Also you may blow a seal, but unless you spend the rest of the day ridding on it you shouldnt blow both. So when that happens its time to call it a day. Don't hide from the air forks. If your a bigger guy who would usually put heavier springs in your forks I would recommend sending them to Factory Connection or Pro Circuit. You will find its much cheaper to change than spring forks. I hope this helps.

new ride

picked up the new bike... now i know why you guys call them pigs... its heavy and there is no place to grab it to put it on the stand..

Attachments

• photoMA30712381-0001.JPG
    photoMA30712381-0001.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 152
Well I think I have came to a decision. Considering there aren't many bike shops where I'm at, I'd like to get a brand that has a shop close to me. So that knocks out Kawasaki... Add in some of the front end complaints of the Suzuki, and the fact that I already have a CR 250, I think I'm going with the CRF 450. Just filed my taxes last night so hopefully I can make the jump here sooner than later. Cernics Johnstown has the best prices that I have found so far.

I think I'm going with the CRF 450. Just filed my taxes last night so hopefully I can make the jump here sooner than later. Cernics Johnstown has the best prices that I have found so far.

I rode a 13 CRF 450 and though it was a very nice bike.
Motor is a little weak….but the rest is Great!!
I think you’ll love it.

You can fix the suzuki fork for less than 1000bucks... i am looking into getting mine done.

what are your plans? i need to do something with mine but im not dropping a grand into it. ill suffer with it the way it is before i do that.

I am going to get the OHLINS cartridge kits for mine... i dropped off my yz stuff at copper smith and started talking to them about my suzuki... they said there is no real good fix for the forks other than the kits...so i am going to have them order the kit and springs for my size...they feel if you get the forks to work right the rear shock may only need mild valving changes... Andre suggested i try just the fork first before doing anything to the shock other then the right size spring...once i get mine done your welcome to ride it to see what you think. if we ever get some good weather...

yeah he told me the same thing. i dont know him personally, i hear hes good, but i donnt know if thats just him trying to push the ohlins stuff or not? I know the suzuki suspension isnt the best, but i talked to someone else who has been doing some testing with it and they have made it significantly better..so idk what to think.

a cartridge may be the BEST solution, but there may be other solutions other than $1000+ kit

I am sure there a lots of shops with good set ups...i guess its all in what you want to spend. it will be interesting to see what everyone comes up with to fix the single spring problem.

PC still running them on the 250. They work great for them. I talked to them when I was thinking about the rmz and they claim to b able to make them work beautiful.

I’m sure they can be made to work.
Thing is, The Showa SFF is only a two year old design, they changed them for this year so stuff made for the first Gen won’t work for this year and only 3 models have them.
Not all that much R&D on them because of it.
And now we’re off chasing AIR???? So much will the shops fiddle with them?
We have a lot of RMZ’s in the stable and some that I’ve ridden are supple and sweet.

One of the things i was looking in to is there are only a couple spring options for the SSF...i am in the 225/230# area and they don't really have a spring for me... it just makes sense for me to go back to the double spring cartridge kit because they really don't cater dirt bikes to bigger guys... if you weigh 150# there are tons of options...

Back