OMA Flyers and Posters

I see your point Georgie and I agree kinda. Makes sense too I guess. I know I just don't like the idea of kids landing on kids.

That's a valid concern.

I only remember gettin landed on once from 50-105s. Then once I got on big bikes I remember it happening 3 times in the first year. And another 2-3 times of me landing on someone who crossed over the track in the center of a double/tabletop.

I know for my son he can in no way shape or form ride an 85 at 10. He is small for his age and this is his first year on the 65 at 9. We were looking forward to racing a little OMA but with those changes to the 65 class that probably will not happen.

Back to the 85 classes... When did the jr mini / mini jr class get changed to 12 and under. It was originally 11 and under, but now both the OMA website and the rules show 12 and under. I don't have a problem with it in any way at all, just wondered if it got changed because of this thread, or if it was changed awhile ago.

Back to the 85 classes... When did the jr mini / mini jr class get changed to 12 and under. It was originally 11 and under, but now both the OMA website and the rules show 12 and under. I don't have a problem with it in any way at all, just wondered if it got changed because of this thread, or if it was changed awhile ago.

It was changed awhile ago (in OMA years), we are planning to change it back, we have one hurdle to cross.

just leave it as-is. Are you still thinking of beginner class though?

I dont know, the options are a beginner class staggered with 65cc, or to grant exemptions on a case by case basis to allow first year racers to contest classes that they are possibly to old to run, but slow enough to race.

I dont know, the options are a beginner class staggered with 65cc, or to grant exemptions on a case by case basis to allow first year racers to contest classes that they are possibly to old to run, but slow enough to race.
I like that idea. Most likely those kids won't be chasing points anyway. (Or will be unable to obtain points to chase--no disrespect meant)

referee would see that case by case. I'd say you'd have to let sign up know and then a referee can watch you practice and determine what gate you may sit for.

Matthew raced one race last year, the Battle of Ohio. He did O.k. as far as only getting lapped once in the mini Jr class, but he did manage to fall in a turn and consequently take out a couple front runners in the mini Sr class that were coming around to lap him( They stagger started the mini jr and sr classes the 1st moto). It was unfortunate but it happened. When he fell over in the turn, it was right in the prime rut in the turn. He tried to get up quick but his one leg was kinda trapped under his bike. A couple mini sr's came into the rut and got stuck when they hit him. This is what I'm talking about. He really felt bad about it, but he wanted to be out there too. He had been practicing all summer on the C track and felt he could do it, but I guess the track intimidated him a little. Something in the form of a beginner class would've been nice. He's not in it for a trophy, he just doesn't want to get in the way, or be a hazard. Realistically, I know he'll never be a CR22, but he just wants to have fun and race.

He's not in the way? Every kid out there knows if they come up to lapped traffic it's on them to get around him. I'm sure these kids would rather have more people on the gate than not have him out there at all.

Who knows get him out there and by the seasons end he might have some confidence and not end up getting lapped at all. I think that's all he needs is big gate race experience. That's what all Ohio racers need, because currently no organization can provide that. I'm not bashing the CRA! I'm just saying when I went to a cra race last year nobody was on the gates. I don't want to race 3 people. Id rather have 25 on the gate and get last than get win a three man race.

Then I broke my foot at the battle and was sick to my stomach every time that gate dropped and you could hear the roar of a 3/4 to Full gate ripping off the line every moto. That's racing!

As far as 65cc classes go, you have to remember that kids all grow at different rates and the 65cc bikes are pretty big these days. KTM's and KX's have over 28" tall seat heights which for my 30" inseam, seems pretty tall for a kid that is age 9 who isn't even 4 1/2 feet tall yet. Some 11 year olds are big and tall and are cramped on 80's and looking at 105's, some are small and light and can barely touch the ground on an 80 and still fit well on 65's. Almost all 7 year olds are too small for 65's and can't re start one in the event of a crash and stall. 7 - 11 is a good age bracket for 65's depending on each kids size just to be able to ride a bike coming off the smaller automatic 50cc machines.

My kid just turned 9 in November and I coach 16 kids that are 9 and 10 years old all winter so I'm very aware of the sizes of kids this age. 65cc class should not be cut off at age 9 for sure, the kids just aren't that big yet and the more beginner their skill the more 10 and 11 year olds should be on a 65 rather than a 85.

Matt turned 11 in October. He's 5ft 6 180 pounds. At nine he was around 5'2 145 or so. He's big, but loves riding.

My son Matt is 9 and this will be his first year racing a 65 coming off the 50. He is 52" tall and about 75lbs. No way is he ready for an 85........ 7-11 is good for the 65 class.

Alrighty mini parents!

We are going to keep 65cc 7-11 for this season. Mini Jr. will be 11 and under. However, we are going to implement a 1st year racer exclusion policy into the rule book. Which will allow true first year racers to be placed in the class the best fits their skill level and speed regardless of age and bike size, provided he/she is not a danger to the other riders in that class due to physical size. There will be a petition on our website very soon, we must receive it 1 full week prior to the first event that you wish to race. We will review the application, and decide whether to grant a conditional 1st year racer exclusion, provided when he rides practice at the event, he/she is truly at the level that you claim. A new rulebook version will be up today.

JO, good move, I think that is why there is the overlap in ages in the mini classes due to the sizes of kids. Some kids are big early and ready for the bigger sizes and some are bigger later and not ready for the bigger bikes. And the mini bikes are TALL now for all kids especially at the younger end of the classes. Each kid's size determines what size bike he should be on more so than anything else.

Sounds good on your rule advice taking into account that you want to grow the sport and have beginners enjoy it and stay involved.

Mikes bikes in jefferson ohio also has the OMA fliers, covered bridge in andover ohio will have them starting tomorrow evening so feel free to pick one up!!

and only a couple more weeks til the season opener at Malvern :)

Back