What really causes health care costs to rise

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
http://my.clevelandclinic.org/Documents/Patients/cleveland-clinic-main-charges.pdf

Come see me in the intensive care for a couple days, hope you got insurance!

Portable Chest X ray: $265; 40 (or more) of those are done daily just in the 40 bed icu. Takes 30 seconds, lift slide plate, run away, snap picture, lift, pull plate and read.
Drawing a blood gas: $169. Some pts I have to draw 10-20 a night to get the vent settings corrected.
A blood gas entails drawing 2-5cc of arterial or venous blood and sending it to the lab. The results are analyzed and back within 15 minutes of them being sent.

Lol, looking what they charge they're paying Surgeons pennies on the dollar....and they're paying everyone else thousandTHs of pennies on the dollar.

Double D

PR Founding Father
I have a buddy at the Cleveland Clinic that processes all the blood tests.
Says at least a 3rd of them are not needed because two or three doctors will order the same test, same day. too much effort to read the clipboard.

the number is like 9 billion dollars a year or some crazey number. You know it?

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/Documents/Patients/cleveland-clinic-main-charges.pdf

Come see me in the intensive care for a couple days, hope you got insurance!

Portable Chest X ray: $265; 40 (or more) of those are done daily just in the 40 bed icu. Takes 30 seconds, lift slide plate, run away, snap picture, lift, pull plate and read.
Drawing a blood gas: $169. Some pts I have to draw 10-20 a night to get the vent settings corrected.
A blood gas entails drawing 2-5cc of arterial or venous blood and sending it to the lab. The results are analyzed and back within 15 minutes of them being sent.

Lol, looking what they charge they're paying Surgeons pennies on the dollar....and they're paying everyone else thousandTHs of pennies on the dollar.

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
I have a buddy at the Cleveland Clinic that processes all the blood tests.
Says at least a 3rd of them are not needed because two or three doctors will order the same test, same day. too much effort to read the clipboard.

the number is like 9 billion dollars a year or some crazey number. You know it?

Then probably another 25% clot and are no good so we redraw and resend charging you double! You're welcome.

Double D

PR Founding Father
I wish you got a cut of that cash! there would be a new rig and bike every year in your garage!!

k01

PR Elite
Back to the original subject. If you don't know or care how much it costs, it's going to
cost more than if you did know and care.
http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2013/05/hospital-charges-vary-widely-for-same.html?page=all

Had congress allowed medicare to negotiate prices on everything, including
drugs, we would have at least started to control costs. Publishing all procedures
and costs at various hospitals is also a (barely) start.

The government doesn't negotiate prices. The government fixes prices.

So what really causes health care costs to rise? The answer is simple. This is from the first page of this tread:

Third party payment systems perverted through government involvement just may be a culprit.

sturd

PR Addict
The government doesn't negotiate prices. The government fixes prices.

There's a bumper sticker.

As long as one of the biggest drivers of cost to the government (us) is health care, what's
wrong with negotiating the price (fixing the price in your vernacular)?

So what really causes health care costs to rise? The answer is simple. This is from the first page of this tread:
Quote Originally Posted by k01 View Post

Third party payment systems perverted through government involvement just may be a culprit.

Ok, is there some factual basis for this? You just pulled another bumper sticker from somebody
else.

Lowest costs and best outcomes are, in general, in single payer systems around the world.
Even our freedom loving canadian neighbors know this.

My bumper sticker:
Medicare for all!

k01

PR Elite
My bumper sticker:
Medicare for all!

Well you should be happy. Obamacare is designed to bring all into a single payer system.

Bumper stickers? Good grief! Plenty of facts but I bet they don't fit your narrative. Continue to enjoy making simple explanations difficult. Seems to be your thing...

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
@Sturd : Curly hair ?

@dd: lets just start up a hospital. Or a home healthcare service. Been pondering the home health service but I want to see what Obama care is going to do to healthcare before I take on a business loan debt that may only be a me to return less than what my start up costs are going to be....Medicaid/Medicare is such a freakin nightmare to deal with.

And I keep my private messages full so I don't get so much hate mail!

Double D

PR Founding Father
Paging Dr Double D, Here is your prescription sir. Please do two motos every day followed by a six pack of beer. oh and don't call me in the morning.

hershey

PR Elite
And I keep my private messages full so I don't get so much hate mail!

Lmao!

All I know for certain is health care costs for me as an employer have more than doubled since he passed Obamacidecare. Sturd, you can give all the examples of why this isnt true and wont happen. But facts are facts. The worst part is the only way to fix it for me is to drop the coverage or pay the piper and shut up about it.

John250

PR Founding Father
And carriers are showing employers on a statement how much of their premiums are going to pay for the different Obamacare items. Obamacare will make healthcare cost MORE money for most Americans.

We have 44 million uninsured citizens right now in the US. After Obamacare is in place, the US Government is guessing we will have 30 million uninsured citizens. So we are doing all this, and causing healthcare to rise for most Americans to insure another 14 million people.

sturd

PR Addict
Lmao!

All I know for certain is health care costs for me as an employer have more than doubled since he passed Obamacidecare. Sturd, you can give all the examples of why this isnt true and wont happen. But facts are facts. The worst part is the only way to fix it for me is to drop the coverage or pay the piper and shut up about it.

My employees have cost me more for health care every year since 2000. This
year too. But no noticeable difference since Obamacare was passed.

I don't know why you are not seeing the same thing though I believe
there is a reason.

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
Lmao!

Make your employees pay to park. Cleveland Clinic started doing that. It's subsidizing something........but deducting $1040 yearly from my checks for parking angers me. I'm there 121 days a year out of 365 to park in an open, terribly paved lot from 7pm-730am where other (mostly asian doctors) dent and ding the crap of everyone elses cars because they can't park between the lines.

1040 to park + 1300/year for healthcare = $2340 deducted out of the gate. It doesn't cost them 1040 a year to maintain that lot, so i'm sure its applied to other things like......my health benefits perhaps? So yea....make your employees pay to park!

@sturd: I see your bro in law weekly. He brings us the really sick ones. Many of times we have rolled eyes together regarding obtuse decisions made about opposing viewpoints. Good guy, easy to work with. Unlike some.

sturd

PR Addict
Make your employees pay to park. Cleveland Clinic started doing that. It's subsidizing something........

Go to pages 7 and 9
http://my.clevelandclinic.org/Documents/About/financial-statements/2011-Form-990.pdf

Nine people over $1M, another 8 (4 that don't even work there anymore!) over $0.5M.
Maybe Cosgrove's 11% raise last year got paid for the easy way - take it from the
employees.

but deducting $1040 yearly from my checks for parking angers me. I'm there 121 days a year out of 365 to park in an open, terribly paved lot from 7pm-730am where other (mostly asian doctors) dent and ding the crap of everyone elses cars because they can't park between the lines.

1040 to park + 1300/year for healthcare = $2340 deducted out of the gate. It doesn't cost them 1040 a year to maintain that lot, so i'm sure its applied to other things like......my health benefits perhaps? So yea....make your employees pay to park!

$108 a month for health care is a pretty good deal though.

@sturd: I see your bro in law weekly. He brings us the really sick ones. Many of times we have rolled eyes together regarding obtuse decisions made about opposing viewpoints. Good guy, easy to work with. Unlike some.

Yep, good guy for a man with a bacon addiction.

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
Sturd that figure Cosgrove gets: That doesn't include any endorsements and all of his surgical devices that hold patents which are used in the Operating Rooms during heart surgeries.

Cleveland Clinic is supposed to be non profit; however, they have more gold/cash on hand in the basement than fort knox. It's not really non-profit. One is Cleveland Clinic Foundation and the other is Cleveland Clinic. I think the people with no insurance get kicked over to the CCF claims, and the people with insurance get kicked over to 'Cleveland Clinic' billing. People that don't pay are a write-off, people/insurances that do pay.......over pay?

Now they're trying to recruit a bunch of employees over to Abu Dhabi Cleveland clinic campus. At first it sounded good. Now the more I look at it they're still paying you nothing to uproot your life and move to UEA for 15-60 months. I'd rather join the military.

Yeah I guess 108/mo for health insurance isn't bad. But every year it's been going up 15%, they send us a letter saying it will go up 3% then 3 months later we get another letter saying: "Oh sorry actually it's going up 15%." They force us to get physicals and prove our BMI, make sure our lab draws are within clinic norms for us to recieve the lowerst premium. Otherwise we get the "bronze" premium which is about a little over double.

The year before I started full health insurance was 700/year. Now I pay 1400 a year. People that smoke/or are deemed 'unhealthy' pay 2800/year. These are single rates. Family rates are incredibly high.