Tomahawk Qualifier

So we are finally home, and it's obvious nobody cares about actual racing or motocross......but I'll go ahead.

Tomahawk is an awesome track and has impressive infrastructure and facilities. However, boy did they run a crappy program. I hate to be the track bitcher, but I guess I've gotten spoiled with tracks really clicking these things off.

1. took what felt like forever to get through the program. When we got there Saturday we were bummed that early signup for Sunday wasn't until 7pm. We were like "crap I don't want to hang around waiting for that!" Little did we know that we would be running our second moto right around 7pm and getting up there to signup about 7:30. We were at the track for over 12 hours and rode 10 laps (because we could only race Unlimited Support).

2. they did not stagger start any races. Nada, zip, not a single race. There were 5 of us in +35 and we ran our own moto all by ourselves. INSANE! I went and questioned this and was told "we are not allowed to stagger start any motos at a LLQ. Obviously for 90% of you reading this you know this is not true.

3. There was basically no announcing of anything. On Saturday about half way through all of a sudden some dude had a mic and was talking about motos and such, but then on Sunday there was nothing. People were always just going up to the gate to figure out what was going on, and you would have like 5 classes worth of riders up there because people wanted to be sure to make their moto. They even had a radio station listed, but there was nothing really being announced.

4. It rained ALL DAY Sunday. 4 lap motos for amateur and 6 laps for A. First set of motos didn't get done until almost 3pm! Then they went out with a dozer, bobcat, and three tractors and proceeded to work the track for about 45 minutes while we all stood around in cold rain. After that the track was 10 times worse.

5. Consis. C and B classes always have too many riders. 99.9% of the time I've been at these, they run the heats early in the program, then the consis about half way through so they have a full second motos. Here they ran the C & B heats first (which was good), but then they ran the consis LAST so anyone in the consi had to go right back for first moto in a horrendous mud race. They also stated the reason they took a break to work the track was because the people from the consis needed to get ready for first and second moto. Am I missing some logic here?

Again, awesome place, but they need some direction on how to run a big event. Smith and I both skipped our last motos and didn't leave there until after 6pm.

Tim Cotter and MX Sports ran the show, just FYI. Chad who owns the track did not. These are the same people who ran Sunday Creek two years ago for the Youth Regional

They will be running the Regionals and Nationals at Budds Creek and Muddy Creek also.....

I call BS. Tim Cotter was not there, and I talked to Chad. He gave no indication that anyone else was running this race and he was doing quite a bit of directing of others. If Tim Cotter or MXsports was in charge then they would have known for sure there is no rule about staggering classes. In fact it is the norm with most vet classes as they don't get a lot of entries at the early Area LLQs.

Muddy Creek is run by Victory Sports. They also ran the SOBMX qualifier a couple weeks ago. There were no Victory Sports personnel there (they are easy to spot because they come in and setup and entourage of Victory Sports trailers).

When talking to others about how long and eff'ed up the program was, most people replied and said that's how it always is there.

Tim was on Pulp MX on the episode after Daytona. HE said they were...

I was at Budds Creek two weeks ago. Johnathan Beasley told me personally that MX sports was running his national and regional. Said the same situation was in place at Muddy Creek. I know what Chad told me last year in November, and what Tim Cotter said on Pulp MX. Go to Stitcher and listen to the podcast of Pulp MX and come up with your own conclusion about cancelling TMX, rescheduling and promoting...

TMX is the biggest area at any event in the given year, by far....

I personally don't care. I don't like the concept of Loretta Lynn's, and neither do most of my friends. If you want to run with the big dogs like we did in the early 80's, ride the real nationals....

The "big dogs" from the 80's have all dropped down and tried to sandbag Vet B/C! LOL. Or at least the true big dogs like Ward, Lechien, etc came back to LL and easily picked up their VET titles in the last few years.

I wasn't there, so maybe Cotter wasn't there because of the holiday and all. So maybe Chad had problems. I was just really posting some stuff that I was told earlier.

The sand baggin question: How do you feel about that? I think it is a shame, and I am glad that McGrath hasn't done that. Again, it is just my opinion.

I am cajoled every year to participate by my shop and people I know. I just like doing local racing. Racing big weekend events also is fun for me. Too each his own. I'm well into my 50's. Who cares about a championship at 53 anyhow ?? People who like McMansions, trophy wives, BMW's. that sort of character. That kind of mentality is rampant here around Penn State.....

MX Sports was not there for sure, they ran a tight ship at SOBMX. We were on the road at 230pm. Actually we got home at the same time last night as we did from SOBMX.

Like Pit said, MX Sports had a number of large trailers, signs and banners with colorful logos all over the entrance at SOBMX. Nothing to be seen at Tomahawk. And the biggest give away was the program, it was inefficient. For life life of me I couldnt understand why they went out and worked the track DEEP.... while it was raining.... on a rainy day! The track conditions went from horrid to disgusting. They used a chisel plow that went 24" min deep, add in the rain all day with standing water and 8" of mud currently on the track.....do the math.

Chad was really great to talk to, you can tell he is a good guy. I would love to go back another time for a little smaller event and ride the track.

Pit I agree with you. We have gone to Tomahawk for the last three years for the qualifier. Mxsports doesnt run anything its the same people chad hires every year. We love the track, they are all really nice there but my complaints:
Why do you wait until 7pm to run sign up so people can wait in line for 1 1/2 hours after racing all day to sign up. They do it every year! I have suggested like victory sports and other facilities they will start at like 3pm to let people trickle in and keep long lines down. Helps people who are heading to hotels. Also keeping the kiosk inside? Sign up is just a nightmare.
I agree with motos. I have seen different tracks avoid staggering llq motos and some do stagger. Girls 9-11 had 4 riders and 12-16 had 9 riders and they were seperate but i agree i think unless its a rule they should have been run together.
Above all else they have got to fix sign up, they are by far the worst. But we really love the track!

If you want to run with the big dogs like we did in the early 80's, ride the real nationals....

Todays Amatuers are the big dogs. Most of the dudes tryin to qualify for the 40 gate couldn't beat the top 10 b riders. Times have changed grasshopper!

Sign up for any big event has become a joke. With the internet, why is it that any large race does not have pre-registration to be completed online prior to the event. If you don't make it, then send them a email, and they will refund your money within 60 days after the event. Makes sense to me.

Daytona. Run by MX Sports, sign up has been a mess every year. Its gotten better each year, but still could be improved. Couple simple steps. Sign up via net. Then currently, you have to sign every release for minors three times when you get there. This is what is HOLDING up the line. Email me each release that needs filled out completely. One for Daytona, one for MX Sports, one for AMA. I will complete them prior to walking into registration, and do nothing more than sign them in front of you. This would save a ton of time.

I just don't know why with pay pal and all in todays world why we cant get most of registration completed the night before we even get to the track? JO, this would be a perfect thing for the OMA to experiment with, and get down. Then sell it to MX Sports.

Todays Amatuers are the big dogs. Most of the dudes tryin to qualify for the 40 gate couldn't beat the top 10 b riders. Times have changed grasshopper!

I think your right! Even though your joking, your so very right!! This is subject for another thread, but if the cream of the crop ISN'T at Sx or the nationals, why would I sponsor, or invest in the series? Look how any privateers could benefit if the cream all rode the pros.......

AWRCS and NEOC racing series events (off road local racing) can be signed up on the web. The whole 10 race series if need be. So why can't that be done for local MX racing??

Transponders : that can be another thread too.

FWIW, I talked to Tim Cotter today via email and he stated he had nothing to do with the Tomahawk race and spent Easter weekend with his family. He stated he has many conversations with all the tracks but that the Area races are promoted and organized by the tracks themselves.

One other thing, which is pretty embarrassing. You never want to be this guy but we all are at some point.

The track was so tough and gnarly and we are out there in +35 running our own little snail moto. I was in 3rd out of 5 cruising along. Of course I fall in a giant rut and my throttle side of the bar is buried to the triple clamp. I almost needed a shovel to get my bike out. I get going with the whole right side of my bars looking like it was dipped in chocolate mousse.

So then I'm way, way back when I get going and can barely hold onto the grip, but who cares there are only 5 of us anyway so we all qualify. I'm a mile behind riding the track by myself, and everyone is watching me because they are waiting to start the next moto. People on the sides and track workers start giving me the spode claps of encouragement. "Look at the poor guy, out there trying to make it around even though he is a really suck rider....." is all I can imagine them thinking.

FWIW, I talked to Tim Cotter today via email and he stated he had nothing to do with the Tomahawk race and spent Easter weekend with his family. He stated he has many conversations with all the tracks but that the Area races are promoted and organized by the tracks themselves.

Next time i won't reply to a thread unless I have something constructive to say, or know proof positive that I know without reservation I am right.

After posting this morning, I realized that he may not been there because of the holiday. I even said that. Sorry for getting anyone's panties in a ruckus...

I opened my mouth and inserted my foot....

Thank you very much..

Back