2014 bikes

MarctheSharc

PR Founding Father
I'm not going to take that Pot Stirring bait....... but the average young adult can't afford to be on a new bike anymore, and the young adult is the intended rider for these machines, so there is a problem brewing in the marketplace.

I agree...
I can't think of one guy that got a new bike last year .....and then again this year.
Most of us with new 13's were on 3-4 year old bikes.

honda907

PR Addict
Very good point about insurance Rocket Robin! Just think, if we lose 25% of the racers because of health insurance (anywhere to paying a penalty for no insurance, to paying additional for an extreme sport such as competitive MX) and I think you will see the local races go away. No way they can make it on like 100 riders (150 entries with double classes) in my area. The tracks will cease to exist.

Hopefully, and this looks like it is a possibility, the new health care system may be just to large to implement.

In my area, two tracks are not opening this year. I wouldn't be surprised if NEMX closed it's doors after this year.

I also agree on the bikes and making the old guys faster. I like the new 2014 Yamaha 450, but I honestly don't see me going any faster on it than my current bikes that I ride. I didn't even buy a 2013 Yamaha, since they didn't change from 2012, and my 2011 and 2010 Yamaha 450's were actually faster bikes, with harder hitting power.

Outside the MastersMX racing and Loretta Lynn's, our local vet racing is basically non participant based in anything but +45 and +50 racing. 2 guys in +30 A and one in +35 is not a race. That is just a showcase of bikes with older guys on them.

Very sad....

C Hudak

PR Addict
I agree...
I can't think of one guy that got a new bike last year .....and then again this year.
Most of us with new 13's were on 3-4 year old bikes.
I don't know about you guys, but my wife wants me on the best equipment out there:p.Yes Hershey, that's a 13 Honda.
The trick is not showing her the new bike until its sitting in the garage. I think keeping new tires on your bike is the most painful thing to deal with right now.

Jim598

PR Addict
my son has had a 2000 rm 80, 2001 cr125, 2002 yz250f,2003 yz250f,2005 250f,2006 yz 450f2007 yz250,2008yz250f,2008 450f,2010 rmz450,2011ktm350,2011 crf450, 2012 crf250, 2012crf 450. that has cost us about $2000. a bike.a year. have never had any mechanical problems. is my opinion that this is the best way to race, you are always on a new bike! you just have to find a smoken deal

Jim598

PR Addict
p.s. I dont know of any other form of racing that you only have 2000 in the cost of your vehicle. I bet over that same time period I spent more in gas and entery fees

RocketRobin

PR Founding Father
Jim598, it is the cheapest form of Motorsports racing out there, there is no denying that. But, it's getting where people can't afford to get into it to start up. Think young adult starting out in the workplace needing a full size Bike ($8,000 - 10K), and truck with less than ideal gas mileage to haul / tow it with, insurance on the car, student loans, food, rent, car payment, etc...... and you can see that it would be hard to start racing motorcycles these days. Even a 85cc mini now costs over $5000, heck it's $5000 for a KTM SXS 50 needed to be competitive in the 7 - 8 year old peewee class. Add an enclosed trailer and some gear, parts, etc..... and you have no way to swing it. You are listing cost after having a bike and stuff already and only losing $2000 / year on it.

C Hudak

PR Addict
Wait....I think I found one! Chris, were you on an 12 last year or was that an 11?
Ya Sharc that was a 12, but I was hung up on 07's for a while. I just kept buying left overs. I really like this 13, I don't want to change a thing on it so far. I'll probably be out at OIR Sun. Get a few more rides on it before the 14's are out. hahaha!

Jim598

PR Addict
I agree with you Rocket, I started out mowing yards for a old bultaco... no way a kid is going to get in this sport on his own now a days... but that really wasnt my point..

John250

PR Founding Father
I sold my bike to a guy 32 years old, that used to race. He was trying to jew me down on the bike, because he had other expenses to get into racing. His "expenses" he was telling me was a trailer hitch for his Rodeo, new Atlias gear, tech 10 boots, and a bell moto 9 helmet........I had to laugh a little bit to myself.....I am thinking you barely can afford my 2007, are jawing me down, and your going and buying tech 10s and a moto 9. He could have saved about $500 in just scaling the gear expense back. I sold my bike to him for $3000 and in my opinion he got a smoking deal on a great bike.

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
I'm not going to take that Pot Stirring bait....... but the average young adult can't afford to be on a new bike anymore, and the young adult is the intended rider for these machines, so there is a problem brewing in the marketplace.
I can't with student loans. And I refuse to finance dirtbikes. Hell I refuse to finance vehicles! It's a waste of money. I'll be ok by the time I'm running +40. But then again ill bet the bikes will be 20 grand by then.

Bill480

PR Addict
they are too expensive. For 20 years I bought a new bike every year. I could take a 250 2 stroke I rode for 1 season, hand it to the dealer (my bikes were always in excellent cond.) with any where from $800 to 1100 and walk out the door with a new bike every year. My son started racing in 2007, and since that time, he has had 7 bikes, and I was still on my 2007. This year, he did not need a bike, so I got a bike.......but was not going to pay what a 2013 would cost me. In my opinion, it was not worth it at this point in my life. Takes more money to race, and everything is more expensive.

Manufactures are pricing bike to where a teenager or someone young out of school is having to finance a bike 4 and even 5 years to buy one. That is CRAZY to do on a dirt bike........but people do it! Any young guys out here reading this, NEVER finance a dirt bike over two years. If you have to go more than that, you need a cheaper bike.

My first "big purchase" when I turned 18 was my new CRF250. Financed it over 4 years at 4.99%. A week after I paid it off (1 year early) I went and bought a 10 CRF450. 4 years @ 2.99%.

I really like that $100/mo payment :D

MarctheSharc

PR Founding Father
I agree the bikes are expensive, but Bill has a point, money is cheap right now....
But, how much longer can it stay this way? I've been warned that inflation is just around the corner.

hershey

PR Elite
I agree the bikes are expensive, but Bill has a point, money is cheap right now....
But, how much longer can it stay this way? I've been warned that inflation is just around the corner.

Ive been hearing the same rumblings. Time to lock in low rates while you can!

MarctheSharc

PR Founding Father
I’m sure we both had dinner, but no, not the two of us together.
Between the banks, the city, the local builders, and business professionals in general, they’re all pointing towards this “Cheap Money” cycle to end soon.
Then add in that already-built housing is showing a strong surge this spring…..

John250

PR Founding Father
Oh I don't disagree money is very cheap right now, unless your that buyer that Rocket is talking about. Those guys have no credit, probably have paid a bill or two late, so they are not getting those rock bottom rates on a dirt bike that someone with 740 and above credit is getting.

Bill, that $100 payment is nice, I've just always had a philosophy that is what not good to finance any more on a dirt bike than you could pay off in two years because of the huge depreciation on dirt bikes. I've used the Yamaha credit deal before, where they give you interest free financing for 12 months or 18 months, that is a awesome deal, but always just tried to pay the difference in what I was getting rid of and what I was getting.

Kind of like a boat........I have friends with Boats (expensive boats), and these guys finance them over like 20 years to get them where they can afford them. Well non of these guys keep them for 20 years, so they are really renting that boat. And when they sell it, are PRAYING and HOPING to get pay off on that boat. I know one guy that literally took a beating on a boat to get out from under his loan on it, and lost money. But that is just poor personal finance choices in my opinion.

TwentyThreeMX

PR Founding Father
I financed half o my 13 rmz at 0%. I had all intentions of paying it off over winter or before end of summer at latest.. but then the light bulb clicked on, it was free money.. I took the $ I would have used to pay that off, and paid off some 5% student loans instead. So I'll keep paying on other stuff for now and let that 0% stay there til I'm ready to get rid of the bike then I'll pay it off.