Action Sports Weekend Follow up.

Shoulder and ribs still killing me. CZ spit me off the up hill double. Leatt pile drived my shoulder guess it did its job. Track was great cant wait to go back!

I'm sure I'm not the only one that noticed the kicker hole that developed in that middle of the jump face? It sent me high heals once as well. I wonder if that is what happened to the fella that got hurt?

Oops sorry, I knew one of you had an "L" and the other didn't but got them bass ackwards.

Ha-!...No problem mooch , you’re not the first to get it mixed up.
For some sort of class award one year I received a sweatshirt from the CRA that had my first name spelled with a “K” and his last name …..

I think that is the spot that got that guy a air lift out of there. I was told he has a broken femur, pelvis, and vertebra. Very series stuff.

I saw that hole too, hit it one lap, then switched my line to avoid it.
One thing that sucks about this whole vintage racing scene, we are older and more brittle so it's hard to get through a race weekend without a few unfortunate injuries. Hope the guy heals up ok.

Another thing that whole injury brings to mind is how the Action Sports crew really knows what they are doing. For example, when the med flight came in and landed, I realized they were landing in an area that had already been coned off and designated for emergency personnel. When we pulled in on Saturday I remember being instructed at the gate to not drive past the cones at the one end of the parking area. Also, the chopper coming in and landing right there in the pits showed how nice the pits there are -- full, thick (and mowed) grass, no giant dust tornados, nothing. You could spend the whole day there walking the pits barefoot in the grass if you wanted. I want to move down there! Really a beautiful area of the state!

For any of you that had fun racing the hare scramble you really should go back there and try their GP races. It's the same course, and super fun. I'm trying to figure out when some of their GPs can fit into my schedule!

Another thing that whole injury brings to mind is how the Action Sports crew really knows what they are doing. For example, when the med flight came in and landed, I realized they were landing in an area that had already been coned off and designated for emergency personnel. When we pulled in on Saturday I remember being instructed at the gate to not drive past the cones at the one end of the parking area. Also, the chopper coming in and landing right there in the pits showed how nice the pits there are -- full, thick (and mowed) grass, no giant dust tornados, nothing. You could spend the whole day there walking the pits barefoot in the grass if you wanted. I want to move down there! Really a beautiful area of the state!

For any of you that had fun racing the hare scramble you really should go back there and try their GP races. It's the same course, and super fun. I'm trying to figure out when some of their GPs can fit into my schedule!

I had a great time there as well. Awesome weather and track maintenance by Drew and the gang. My only complaint regarding the AMA Vintage Series so far is the mixing of modern bikes (up to 1996) with PV MX bikes (i.e. pre 1984) As a slow B/C rider, modern riders dictate the race, and us B/C riders aren't getting all 4 laps in. Yeah I know that is my fault for being slow :) but to travel and pay gate fees and entrance fees, it would be nice to race against similar machines per class.

just my $0.02 worth.

We had a blast. Worked out some miunor troubleshooting problems in practice. Jack only had one DNF. My boy looked gereat on the 81 125 in the b Evo 3 class taking the win. He ran with the decade class to a third place on the 877 RM 250 against modern bikes and a third overall with a DNF - 1 in the 250 B EVo 3 . He loves the old bikes as long as they run .
Me and NQ1965 ran around with a bungee chord connecting us in the 40+ and 30+ classes. What ablast. I finnally held you off somewhat for two of the 4 motos.
Fun time with awesome friends.

Anyone know if the Mike Wheeler from Newark, OH, is the same Mike Wheeler originally from Franklin Ohio that grew up racing D11 in the late 70s and 80s? Had a older brother John Wheeler that raced too.

Mike and all that I met in Athens. I'll jump in and send a big thank you to everyone for the encouragement and advice. I'm hooked and had a blast. I didn't even come in last, just close.

I was in the race where the rider was injured - thoughts and prayers for a quick recovery.

Looking forward to trying this again in a couple weeks in my home state of Kentucky!!

Anyone know if the Mike Wheeler from Newark, OH, is the same Mike Wheeler originally from Franklin Ohio that grew up racing D11 in the late 70s and 80s? Had a older brother John Wheeler that raced too.

Mike is our Pitracer member "MXKid". He'll probably answer you directly.
Speaking of Mike, Hat's off to the old boy for racing the S. Carolina AHRMA event on Saturday, loading up in a rush, drive all afternoon and all night to arrive in Athens Ohio at ActionSports track at 12:30 that night, to race all day Sunday again.

The guy is a Racer!

That is what I think his name is as well. He was #27 in non current B/C and it shows Columbus but I think he may actually live in Gahanna, OH. Anyone that knows the updates on him please keep us posted.

Back