30 AMA Greatest Motocrossers of All time

RocketRobin

PR Founding Father
Has everyone been keeping up on the Daily countdown of the top 30 Greatest AMA Motocrossers of all time over at Racer X? If not, I'd say take a look at the daily recount of 1 of the all time greats of MX each day. They are great reads into the history of our sport! So far the list looks like this:

30 - Johnny O'Mara
29 - Grant Langston
28 - Kevin Windham
27 - Pierre Karsmakers
26 - Gary Jones
25 - Brad Lackey
24 - Chad Reed
23 - Jimmy Weinhart
22 - Steve Lamson
21 - Tony DiStefano
20 - Jean Michele Bayle
19 - Ron Lechein
18 - Jeremy McGrath
17 - Mike Larocco
16 - Marty Smith
15 - Doug Henry
14 - Mark Barnett
13 - David Bailey
12 - Kent Howerton
11 - Jeff Emig
10 - Ryan Dungey
9 - Ryan Villopoto
8 - Mike Kiedrowski
7 - Jeff Stanton
6 - Broc Glover
5 - James Stewart
4 - Jeff Ward
3 - Rick Johnson
2 - Bob Hannah
1 - Ricky Carmichael

Wow, if they are going from 30 backwards, I question a couple of those and where they are placed already.

Yeah, some before my time, but I'd rank a few a little different I am thinking thus far. They probably have a formula as to how to rank them. Probably got it from the BCS. You know, takes into account wins, strength of competition, etc. ;)

1. Rocket Robin LOL!

I don't deserve to be on any list with those riders. IT's a cool feature that Racer X is doing each day on their website leading up to the start of the Outdoor Nationals. They go through their reasoning on why guys are where based on results, longevity, style, competition, etc..... and it's all up for debate. I think we all know who #1 will be....... THE GOAT, there is no denying that he is the greatest AMA outdoor rider of all time having won the outdoor MX title in every year that he competed in from year 1 until retirement starting in 1997 - 2006 won every outdoor title he entered in. 10 Titles straight!

RC will be the only rider whos standing will absolutely be un-debatable. In addition to 10 straight championships, TWO of those were perfect seasons. And then he ended by racing a few select rounds in 07'... and he won most of those too!

I don't visit Racer X but hope they will include the likes of Pomeroy , DeCoster , Mikkola , Tripes , and a myriad of others from the early days .

I don't visit Racer X but hope they will include the likes of Pomeroy , DeCoster , Mikkola , Tripes , and a myriad of others from the early days .

It does say the greatest AMA Motocrossers, so I'm assuming that it only includes the outdoor nationals, not Supercross. If it included Supercross then I think Jeremy McGrath would've been in the top five. If it doesn't include the Trans Am series, then I'm assuming that you will not see any GP riders names on that list.

Emig comes in at #11? I think Jeff was a great rider and has done very well for himself but #11? Really?

If emigs prime would have been from 2006-2010 or present day he wouldn't of had that long stretch of factory rides. Although he was killing it at Loretta's a few years ago.

We all know that Ricky Carmichael is going to be number one, but who's going to be in the top five with him? Is Stewart going to be number two with a perfect season and the most 125 wins? How about Bob Hannah, Rick Johnson, Ryan Villopoto, or Ryan Dungy? It should be fun to see who they pick.

Dungy is number 10. So that leaves RC, Stewart, RV, Hannah, Glover, Ward, RJ, Stanton, and Kiedrowski. Will Bradshaw make the list? The names above are in know particular order, just who I think will be the last nine to make the list.

It states that everyone in the top ten has multiple outdoor titles. That means no Bradshaw, he doesn't even have any. I think the names listed above are correct, and that order is likely pretty close as well.

They do go through and give their reasoning behind the pick, titles, competition, wins, longevity, etc..... And it's AMA Motocross only - Not SX, Not FIM Racing, Not anything else except AMA racing here in the good ole USA. Includes 125, 250, and 500 classes considered from AMA National Championship racing. You have to Remember that there wasn't always all of those classes that had a professional series over the course of time.

It's all subject to debate anyway.

Yeah, I haven't seen anyone as tenacious as RC in an MX track. Dude was amazing. RJ would've been hire barring the injury to his wrist. It will be interesting to see where they land...

Number 9 is Ryan Villopoto. That's a shocker!

Yeah, but his career isn't over yet. It may be closer than we think, but he's at the top of his game right now. He's been out with injury and what not as well in MX. I'd bet his stock will rise if they do this in a couple years again...

Back