30 AMA Greatest Motocrossers of All time

Yeah, but his career isn't over yet. It may be closer than we think, but he's at the top of his game right now. He's been out with injury and what not as well in MX. I'd bet his stock will rise if they do this in a couple years again...

I agree with you 100%. I think both Ryan's have that opportunity.

I have a feeling that James won't even be in the top 5.

Bubba shouldn't be in the top 10!

Wow, that's a surprise coming from you John. ;) Stewy IS one of the greatest. You cannot deny that. With the inovation and speed he brought to the sport, it's virtually unmatched to date. He WAS the "fastest man on the planet". Something else you cannot deny. He could fall, be last, and be first in less than 5 laps. Consistency and focus might have been a couple of his only issues. Especially of late. He had a chance to be the greatest, but gave that up for the bling. Hey, nothing wrong with that as long as he's comfortable with it. He's not living the life you want him to live. He's living the life he wants to. He worked for it and deserves it. I ain't got no beefs with Stewy. Past hopes? Maybe. His life, not ours.

I think he deserves a top 5 just due to the pure skill he had over his competition in years past. Sure, we've had better ambassadors for the sport. Some way back in the list, but not many that wowed the crowd like he used to and still does. Well, in SX practice and heat races only. ;) He'll have something for the MX series also, but as is the case all his career really, how many times will he go down and what will it cost him?

How many other riders besides RC have had perfect seasons? I loved watching him in his 125 days!!! JS7 is one of the best no matter what you think of him!

Exactly.

What scoob said too. Dude earned what he has and the right to live his own life!

JS7 has to be number two no doubt....he had a perfect season and almost had a perfect one in the lite's lost one at red bud...dude is a monster on a bike no matter what John says!

Whoa, what, would have never predicted this haha. And by never I mean, I had a feeling it would start tonight.

Rick Johnson won titles against some of the toughest competition every to line up on a starting gate. Bailey, Ward, Glover, Hannah and Lechien, just to name a few. Jeff Ward won one title in the 125 class, 2 in the 250 class and 2 in the 500 class. Broc Glover won 6 titles, 3 in 125 class and 3 in the 500 class. His last title he won it on a production Yamaha against the factory Honda's. Mike Kiedrowski won 4 titles. two in the 125 class, one in the 250 class and one in the 500 class.

It's still possible Stewart and Stanton won't even be in the top five.

I love bench racing!

We are down to the top 5.

Here are my picks.
1. Ricky Carmichael
2. Bob Hannah
3. Rick Johnson
4. James Stewart
5. Jeff Ward

Ricky is the GOAT period!

Bob Hannah was second on my list because, he really changed motocross in America. He was also the first America superstar in the sport of Motocross .

Rick Johnson probably had the toughest competition of all the riders in the top five. It's a dam shame about the wrist injury.

I put Stewart fourth because he did Supercross only for 3 years. I still can't believe that he didn't defend his number 1 plate in 2009. I'm glad he's back racing the outdoors

Jeff Ward is fifth on my list because, he never had the star power that the other four did.

They are all great champions and I'm glad I got to watch them race.

Jeff Ward should be #2. He is the only rider that has won championships in every class and also had the longest career of those remaining. His first win was in 1982 and his last win was in 1992, that's a span of a decade with victories and 5 championships in the 125, 250, and 500 classes. Ward did this against all the greats already on the list from the 70's, 80's, and early 90's.

RJ never really won (or even competed) on a 125, and Hannah did not win on 500's. Stewart has the perfect season, but only has 3 titles.

You make a good argument Pit. I like Wardy. Wouldn't have an issue with him at #2. Although Stewart isn't done yet... technically.

I'm enjoying reading about each of the riders as they list their accomplishments each day. The top of the list is a pretty great group of riders no matter how you slice it!

I'd have to agree Robin. Although I really haven't read any of them, it's always humbling to know what they gave up to get what they got. No one had it easy to get to the top unlike some, expecially outside the sport, think...

I loved those Moto Chronicles shows or whatever they were called... Only had a few of them...

Some interesting information contained on Racer X's Bench Racing Ammo item from today about All Time Wins and Podiums in Outdoor MX. It can be found here:

http://www.racerxonline.com/2013/05/14/bench-racing-ammo-all-time-motocross-wins

There is no doubt who is First on this list. The others have so many factors involved, it's interesting debate. Jeff Ward, James Stewart, Rick Johnson, Bob Hannah, and RC are all guys that I looked up to over the years as riders and racers. Mix them up and they all are great in their own way with a reason to be at the top of the list.

Back