30 AMA Greatest Motocrossers of All time

There is no doubt who is First on this list. The others have so many factors involved, it's interesting debate. Jeff Ward, James Stewart, Rick Johnson, Bob Hannah, and RC are all guys that I looked up to over the years as riders and racers. Mix them up and they all are great in their own way with a reason to be at the top of the list.

Yeah, I remember back in the day RJ was my all time fav. Too bad his career was cut short somewhat with the wrist injury. Heck, I can't even remember it all that much, just that I was a Honda guy back then and wanted to get a CR125. Looked at them every week at the local Honda shop. After getting my first "bike", a 1985 Kawasaki KLT-110 (I even got it in red/marron), Wardy began to catch my eye and the favorite color of red turned to green.

Bob Hannah was before my time, but I like him now when they talk to him. He was a bad@$$. Peeps from back in the early days of MX, the early 80's and before, were the ones that needed the conditioning of todays athletes. They had to feel like the were beaten by a grizzly bear after a day of moto!!

Lets see he won 28 out of 31 on a 125..and went undefeated on big bikes.... It's going to be Johnson ...ward ...Hannah...Ricky I thought maybe decoster on there but I don't know

Decoster doesn't get on this list because it's the 30 Greatest "AMA" motocrossers of all time, and Decoster was racing mainly in the FIM World Championships and was not allowed to compete in the early AMA series as a transplant. We are down to Hannah, Ward, Ricky Johnson, and RC as the final 4 riders that can be on this list.

The stewart write up here just for John259

Here

Awesome write up on the man and a great insight to the ridicule and hate out there for him even though his accomplishments put him on top in wins and percentages in the 125 class and 2nd overall only to RC. The dude raced 31 125 nationals and won 28. His carrier win percentage is 64%, RC is like 80% and the next closest is in the 30% range.

Haters just like to hate.

Flame on !

Well, it's officially a wrap........ Hannah comes in at #2, and nobody doubts that #1 is RC. These were really cool reads that I enjoyed each day as they posted these racers in order. That was cool!

Was a cool dealio.

No doubt that RC was the man. They way they listed all his wins out was impressive. I remember RC's "when in doubt, gas it" riding. Hanging half off the bike in the rut, roosting like nobodies business.

This sport is cool. Definately cool to see all those that have made it great. Wonder how the list might change over the next year or so. Say Stewy wins a couple more, RV2 dominates and runs the table, Webb, etc., etc. A lot of talent coming up. Guess we'll just have to wait and see... :)

Back