Gas prices

I put 87 in it once by accident and it ran like crap. Mostly off the bottom. Never tried it again...well, on purpose or accident anyway. Only 20 cents times 16 gallons for each 350 to 400+ miles typically. 'Tis the least of my money worries at this point...

I put 87 in it once by accident and it ran like crap. Mostly off the bottom. Never tried it again...well, on purpose or accident anyway. Only 20 cents times 16 gallons for each 350 to 400+ miles typically. 'Tis the least of my money worries at this point...

For me it was the MPG difference that made it worth it to me. I would get 19-20mpg on 93 and saw up to 25 on 87. I've heard that before.. "my car runs like crap on 87". Your car should run the same regardless of what octane is in it.. unless you are flooring it off every stoplight and causing a significant amount of knock.. enough to start pulling timing.

Well, octane I thought had more to do with the compression ratio. Higher compression engines need a higher octane so that they do not detonate too soon by firing under pressure vs. spark...well, for spark plug engines anywho.

Glad you are having favorable results with 87 though. Not thinking most could say that...

Where are all the Obama lovers. Bush haters now??? It was all Bush's fault when he was in office! He was a greedy republican/oil tycoon!!!

Morons, like the pres has anything to do with it.......

Dave explained to me gas economics one time during a south trip. (He probably doesn't remember, "thank god for neck braces.")

They raised gas prices one day from $2.50 to $3.50 after katrina. They saw that people still bought just as much fuel as they did when it 2.50 a gallon. So oil company were like "screw it, people are paying this much for it, that's what we're gonna charge."

I agree with George. Gas went up around Katrina, and did not ever come down.

As for the 87 / 91 thing......Scoob, I am on your page. $0.20 a gallon times 16 gallons is $3.20 a tank. I just figured I am still ahead since I bought the car to drive for business. I get much better MPG driving it than my Suburban every day, so it sits most of the time now.

I agree with George. Gas went up around Katrina, and did not ever come down.

As for the 87 / 91 thing......Scoob, I am on your page. $0.20 a gallon times 16 gallons is $3.20 a tank. I just figured I am still ahead since I bought the car to drive for business. I get much better MPG driving it than my Suburban every day, so it sits most of the time now.

For me it wasn't just the extra $3.20 a tank.. I was getting ~350 miles a tank when I ran 93. On 87 I would get ~450 (20mpg vs 25mpg). For this instance lets pretend that gas is $3.80 a gallon for 87 and $4.00 a gallon for 93. That's 15 cents a mile to run on 87 and 21 cents a mile to run on 93 per tank. Say you drive 15k miles a year. $2250 vs $3150.. $900 more. My point is it would take one tank of gas and a simple math calculation when you fill up to save you from (possibly) throwing money out the window for no reason. Doesn't hurt to try. :)

the_more_you_know.jpeg

Where are all the Obama lovers. Bush haters now??? It was all Bush's fault when he was in office! He was a greedy republican/oil tycoon!!!

Morons, like the pres has anything to do with it.......

hmmmmm...which president is in the union...? lol jk

OK Bill, now you have me interested in trying it. What type motor did you have in your lexus?

OK Bill, now you have me interested in trying it. What type motor did you have in your lexus?

2jzge.. 3 liter straight 6. notorious for being a bad on gas and very slow. my mother has an is250 with the 2.5L v6. I know she never puts premium in it either but I'm not sure how it effects her gas mileage wise. It's just worth the experiment imo. Try 89 first and see if MPG goes up.

I got 237,000 miles on my 01 lexus es 300 with 3.0L V6. I get about 24 MPG. Rides like a cadillac and is paid off.

It's still Bush's fault, the never ending battle cry of the Democrats.

For the 87 vs 91/93 octane debate, nearly all modern cars have knock sensors in their computers, they automatically retard the timing when they sense detonation. The premium fuel requirement is for optimum performance.

I have a IS 250. I get about 26 miles to the gallon in town and 27 or 28 on the highway now. Cant really see that getting much better.

Went to Speedway today to fill up my Suburban and a gas can. $128 in gas! Makes me want to re-think driving three hours away to race tomorrow! Gas prices are crazy. We are spending over $500 a month in gas in my house.

Went to Michigan today lucky we filled up in Ohio@ $3.84 it was $4.29 just crossing the state line and that much all the way to Millington. Waited until getting back to Toledo to get gas at a bargain price of $3.89

WTF as seems like $3.89 a gallon is the new normal....bet this will kill the economy & summer travel for many.

Left for High Point yesterday morning 3.99 here, refueled on return trip in PA for 3.55, still 3.99 when I got home. 40 cents difference in a 2 hour driving distance, really? Total BS!

We just came up from the ATV National this weekend in Danville, Virginia. At the I-77 and I-81 interchange - Reg gas was $3.12!!!!! I just don't understand how there can be that much of a difference.

Back