Gas prices

I'm no expert but my brother, the automotive journalist, writes about efficient vehicles some with your favorite Atkinson motor.

Don't expect benevolence from the cabal in command of our federal government in regard to energy policy. It's all about power and control, not what's best for the country. Energy prices and for a large part our economy are presently benefitting from development on state and private land. That development should serve as model for our untapped coastal reserves, ANWR, shale and so forth. Is Keystone still a pipeline to nowhere?

That makes sense, but the question I have is what made the price go up initially from say $2.00-$2.50 to $3.00-$4.00? Was it an initial tax or some sort of regulation that the government put on the supply chain then?

To be honest, we all somewhat have to realize that the price of fuel hasn't followed the cost of inflation over the years. It was actually quite lower than the national inflation rate. I just gave up getting all exctied about it in that it was time...

Crude is "NOW" traded on speculation. So if I were a wealthy oil tycoon or anyone with enough monies or influence of others or groups with substantial amounts of cash I would speculate, along with my buddies (in our own best interest of course) that oil prices say next July or whatever are going to be XX.XX amount per barrel and if me and my buddies have enough cash to influence the markets "well what do you know" this works out great for me and my good 'Ol boys because it just so happens that we all have sh!t tons invested in the oil companies as well. SO, not only do we win in the futures markets but, from the dividends as well.

As we all can see this is basic economics 101. its clearly fair market pricing... due to supply and demand.
In case this is not evident that last remark is purely sarcasm, speculatively speaking

What I would do to be a fly on the wall in the oval office, behind closed doors with members of congress, and in the VP/Pres office of big oil companies.

That makes sense, but the question I have is what made the price go up initially from say $2.00-$2.50 to $3.00-$4.00? Was it an initial tax or some sort of regulation that the government put on the supply chain then?

To be honest, we all somewhat have to realize that the price of fuel hasn't followed the cost of inflation over the years. It was actually quite lower than the national inflation rate. I just gave up getting all exctied about it in that it was time...

The large scale long term price trends have mostly been controlled by crude production quotas agreed to by OPEC. They have typically restrained production to maintain the highest prices the market could bear without depressing the economies of the consuming countries. This is why conservation and reduced demand will never bring prices down for longer than it takes to eat up inventories. The first 7 years during GWB, the world economy was cranking along pretty good, and prices continued to rise. When it looked like the US was finally going to get serious about developing their own oilfields, and when the world economies dived during his 8th year, consumption dived drastically, and OPEC had an oil glut, so crude prcies prices dived until that glut slowly disappeared, and oil prices began rapidly rising again. Then when Obama made it perfectly clear that he would fight domestic oil production, and Canadian oil in favor of Chavez crude, and attempted to lay all kinds of new economic burdens to curb gasoline consumption, they quickly rose to their current levels and stayed there. Also crude oil is priced based on the US dollar which has been greatly devalued over the last 4 years. Now, Canadian oil production, and production on private lands under state control the feds can't kill are starting to have an effect on OPEC, and the markets are optimistically seeing Obama's foot on the throat of domestic oil production coming to and end in a few years during which prices will continue to decline unless it looks like another pro-OPEC, anti domestic oil regime wil be taking his place.

Crude is "NOW" traded on speculation. So if I were a wealthy oil tycoon or anyone with enough monies or influence of others or groups with substantial amounts of cash I would speculate, along with my buddies (in our own best interest of course) that oil prices say next July or whatever are going to be XX.XX amount per barrel and if me and my buddies have enough cash to influence the markets "well what do you know" this works out great for me and my good 'Ol boys because it just so happens that we all have sh!t tons invested in the oil companies as well. SO, not only do we win in the futures markets but, from the dividends as well.

As we all can see this is basic economics 101. its clearly fair market pricing... due to supply and demand.
In case this is not evident that last remark is purely sarcasm, speculatively speaking

Speculation is like buying stock, and has no long term effect on market prices. Its value today is based only what people believe it will be worth tomorrow. Any run and price rise on buying oil commodities will be followed by a correction and price drop when it has reached a price that speculators will no longer purchase at. Speculation is a two way street, and you can lose just as easily as you can win. If serious efforts are made to make the market believe we are developing enough domestic crude to no longer be extorted by OPEC, oil commodities will drop faster than the world market value, and those who speculated at current prices will lose

Speculation is like buying stock, and has no long term effect on market prices. Its value today is based only what people believe it will be worth tomorrow. Any run and price rise on buying oil commodities will be followed by a correction and price drop when it has reached a price that speculators will no longer purchase at. Speculation is a two way street, and you can lose just as easily as you can win. If serious efforts are made to make the market believe we are developing enough domestic crude to no longer be extorted by OPEC, oil commodities will drop faster than the world market value, and those who speculated at current prices will lose

Yes but with a drug like oil and so many junkies you will win more than you will loose. if you have billions and billions in the markets you can (and they do) influence the markets. So any loss on corrections is easily (massively) replaced by the previous earned gains (from the end product) at the pump and at the company. so the loss or correction comes only if when enough bears (from the general population) rally against them in the markets. So If you do not have a monopoly (which is debatable since all the major oil producers are all in bed together / it's the same thing) buying and controlling the the markets is just as influential as controlling the production and creating shortages on demand to drive up prices.

I guess what I am trying to say is that oil companies are fixing prices plain and simple if not outright illegally (which many have tried to investigate with no success) then they are certainly unfairly squeezing the markets. Most likely they are doing both and probably some other stuff in between.

I'm no expert but my brother, the automotive journalist, writes about efficient vehicles some with your favorite Atkinson motor.

It's not my favorite. I just don't understand why, if you want better mileage, you don't use
the most efficient easily attainable technology unless it's some complicated battery/atkinson
thing. Hell, just make the cam timing variable and atkinson when cruising, otto when
you need power. My wife's 2003 Honda S2000 has variable timing, it's not like it's a new
technology.

Don't expect benevolence from the cabal in command of our federal government in regard to energy policy. It's all about power and control, not what's best for the country.

We are in complete agreement on this.

$113 to fill up my Suburban tonight. I am calling Sherrod Browns office in the morning, and calling the White House. They give free food to mothers with infants, cell phones to people that can not afford a phone, and free housing to those in need. Seems only fair to me that the Obama administration come up with some sort of Gas program for the consumers who are buying General Motors SUVs to keep those government workers working.......some sort of subsidy for gas since I am buying a government motors SUV.......Seem fair to anyone else??

The large scale long term price trends have mostly been controlled by crude production quotas agreed to by OPEC. They have typically restrained production to maintain the highest prices the market could bear without depressing the economies of the consuming countries.

Oil production Opec
http://www.wtrg.com/opec/PROD7398.gif

Oil production world
http://www.indexmundi.com/energy.aspx?product=oil&graph=production

Oil price
http://www.wtrg.com/oil_graphs/oilprice1947.gif

Note those big drops in price when Reagan and Nixon instituted price controls
and the recession dropped demand.

Do you check any of the "facts" you cite? The rest of your contentions are equally
flawed.

You can have your own opinions, you can't have your own facts.

$113 to fill up my Suburban tonight. I am calling Sherrod Browns office in the morning, and calling the White House. They give free food to mothers with infants, cell phones to people that can not afford a phone, and free housing to those in need. Seems only fair to me that the Obama administration come up with some sort of Gas program for the consumers who are buying General Motors SUVs to keep those government workers working.......some sort of subsidy for gas since I am buying a government motors SUV.......Seem fair to anyone else??

They'll tell you to buy an electric car and then you can get your $7500 tax credit:

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/laws/law/US/409

It's not my favorite. I just don't understand why, if you want better mileage, you don't use
the most efficient easily attainable technology unless it's some complicated battery/atkinson
thing. Hell, just make the cam timing variable and atkinson when cruising, otto when
you need power. My wife's 2003 Honda S2000 has variable timing, it's not like it's a new
technology.

Where have you been? All manufacturers are doing what you describe and much more.

Still filling my truck with 30 gallons of free fuel perk gas at Giant Eagle...

Oil production Opec
http://www.wtrg.com/opec/PROD7398.gif

Oil production world
http://www.indexmundi.com/energy.aspx?product=oil&graph=production

Oil price
http://www.wtrg.com/oil_graphs/oilprice1947.gif

Note those big drops in price when Reagan and Nixon instituted price controls

Do you check any of the "facts" you cite? The rest of your contentions are equally
flawed.

Those links don't work for me...

Facts? Reagan did what and what happened? Talk about history revision! lol!

Those links don't work for me...

Facts? Reagan did what and what happened? Talk about history revision! lol!

Not history revision but the links don't work for me now either. I'll look tomorrow, need
to get some laps in while it's light out.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-nZUIDQ6TYU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks for really pissing me off Georgie. I guess from watching that video, there is nothing wrong with me driving a $60,000 Suburban and getting free gas from Obama then. Come on Democrats and Obama, I want me some FREE Obama Gas!

Not history revision but the links don't work for me now either. I'll look tomorrow, need
to get some laps in while it's light out.

Hmm, links work from my work computer. I guess I need to figure it
out from home computer.

Note those big drops in price when Reagan and Nixon instituted price controls;

flawed.

Except for the fact that President Reagan did not institute price contols, in fact his first executive order removed the oil price controls. Production took off and the price was reduced by over half. Is that what your chart actually shows?

Back