OMA 2014.....tracks

Woody

PR Addict
Same tracks but less races. If you only had the series races (Moto Rev, Battle, Nights, Fairs, GP) that would be plenty and have some prestige/draw.

day181

PR Elite
Staff member
We lost OIR. Retain the existing OMA tracks. Here are some potential nonsanctioned Ohio tracks to add:

Action Sports - Good promoter. I've never seen the facility. Anyone?
Buckeye Lake - The previous owners used to race. The land is gorgeous. Nice elevation.
FastTraxx - LL quali's every year. They already dominate outlaw racing turnouts in Southern Ohio.
New Vienna - This place could host a national if all the cards fell in to place. Help this track out the first year with equipment and prep and they could be big.
Pushetta Creek - Not sure why they don't race. They would just need a larger pit area.
Rt 62 - They certainly have the facility and knowledge. I bet they'd be interested in racing.
Sandusky Valley - Lots of racing heritage here.
Sunday Creek - LL quali. GNCC events. Beautiful facility.

I'd love to race every track once next year and shoot for another championship but we can beat a schedule horse to death over the winter.

hershey

PR Elite
Lost OIR? Since when? Jason turned the reins over to Chet and Nick last I heard and they are in for next year????

ck1racerx

PR Addict
Not to offend anyone... (anytime someone says that you know someone will be offended) but less tracks in the northeast and spread out to the west as well. Southwest series is out drawing on average (per class) and MOST of those tracks suck. That means more riders available for membership which equals more guys per event. The numbers at Chili prove the riders are there... just have to give them more options that are not 2.5 hours away.

Now to the possible offensive part. Top notch track prep includes rock removal. While I have not been to all the tracks in OMA, I have watched several videos of them all. A few look like gravel pits. Large rocks all over the track. I'm not pointing fingers, you know who they are... When I watch videos of those tracks I make the decision right then and there NOT to go there. No series award, pitbike race or mist tent will change my mind. Rent a bobcat with a rock hound attachment and clean the place up. The best $500 and 8 hours you can spend.

ck1racerx

PR Addict
We lost OIR. Retain the existing OMA tracks. Here are some potential nonsanctioned Ohio tracks to add:

Buckeye Lake - The previous owners used to race. The land is gorgeous. Nice elevation.
FastTraxx - LL quali's every year. They already dominate outlaw racing turnouts in Southern Ohio.
New Vienna - This place could host a national if all the cards fell in to place. Help this track out the first year with equipment and prep and they could be big.
Pushetta Creek - Not sure why they don't race. They would just need a larger pit area.
Rt 62 - They certainly have the facility and knowledge. I bet they'd be interested in racing.

I'd love to race every track once next year and shoot for another championship but we can beat a schedule horse to death over the winter.

I like the way your thinking....
Buckeye Lake (I assume you mean Buckeye Hills) = COULD have races. I am pretty sure the new owner also owns Middletown Cycle.
Pushetta = Needs re-design. Crazy dangerous. High speed lanes running back and forth. One out of control rider can and will go head on head with someone coming the other direction. Small to no parking. Has potential. Big plus here is its puts you in a new market of mid to northwest Ohio.
Sunday Creek = Forget about it. It is owned by the span of Satan. AMA all the way.
New Vienna = This must be where you hit the crack pipe... A NATIONAL? Never. I great Ohio race? Sure. But again needs work, great potential. OMA for sure... Just no national.
Action Sports = Motocross people. YES
Fastraxx = Drew's old track, Have not been there since '99. Was a great place. Don't know now.

I think Dirt Country has the biggest up side. Long history, GREAT location, The red-headed stepchild in the Southwest series, huge potential. Sure it needs to be rebuilt and they need to learn how to prep, but man... wish I could buy it.

COCR seems like a natural choice. Has went downhill in the past 15 years but with a little work, could be back the way it was.

If I can just find a darn piece of land down here I will build a track. Then everyone can tell me how bad it sucks....

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
I would like to find another good track in the south to balance things out a bit, that is a consideration.

Fast Traxx is AMA, and I doubt they are willing to give up a qualifier to be OMA. Sunday Creek is in a similar boat.

nitrofish

PR Addict
Even though we did less racing this year due to weather, family obligations and other factors we did get to try some new tracks this year which was cool. So, here goes my 2 cents based on our accounts only. Love Malvern! The boy's favorite. The only downside is that we raced far less there this year. In previous years, Malvern was our go-to track every other weekend like clock work. Miss that! We miss the night racing. Nothing like Malvern under the lights. We also miss the nightime atmosphere with a campfire, especially this time of the year. Briarcliff, love it. The boy's other favorite. Need a few more! I think it would be cool to throw in a race on the C track one event after a few updates. Briarcliff has the best atmosphere for families and a ton of fun for the kids. At the Battle I remember looking for my son that took off on his bicycle after Friday's practice, I found him with about 30 other kids having a blast BMX'n on the pitbike track. Oh, the track is pretty good too. Crow Canyon was a new one for us. Enjoyed our time there as well. The turnout was low which was good because I could see a pitting issue there. Loved how you could see all the track from up top especially the gate drop. The boy really liked the track, it was his new favorite for a while. I would like to see some of the Jumps not quite so peaky for the youngins' that have to roll em. Overall we enjoyed it as well and look forward to going back. MX213. You can't beat the scenary here! This track reminds me of an old fashion motocross track tucked in the hills and valleys surrounded by trees. Low turnouts when we went, not sure why? This was Jack's new favorite for a while. I think the negative is track prep here, gotta break up the chunks better to create more lanes. I love the layout and speed of the track with safe jumps and long corners. Plenty of parking. Good place, get there! That's the only tracks we hit this year as far as OMA goes. We plan on trying Chillitown, we missed their battle this year since the wife made me go on vacation. Dirtworld is too much of a haul for us, but I heard it was pretty good. We had thought about Beans but heard the jumps were a bit peaky. I would like to check it out sometime so that we could decide for ourselves. A great year of racing in the OMA thus far. If you notice every time we go to a track it is Jack's new favorite place. He just likes to race, ride his bike with the other kids and mess with Jarrett. He never complains about track conditions, jumps or what not, dad does the whining on that stuff. The year is not over yet folks, better get out and ride cause the ole' muther is coming! We met a ton of new people, we got a few new kids into racing, we got to meet the almighty Hershey and have had good results on the track as well. My 2014 thoughts on tracks and series are below, class structures can be done in another thread. Thanks and see you at the track, well not this weekend. :( grrrrrrrrrr. The Winlands.

1. Better weather. 5 races we attended we were threatened with gloom and doom and missed a few due to the conditions.
2. Mo Malvern.
3. Mo Malvern night racing, especially in the fall and heat of the summer. Just more night racing period.
4. More Cliff.
5. Cliff "C" track race.
6. A series at each track with no minumum requirement or set schedule.
7. A few Saturday races thrown in.
8. keep the fair stuff going. Fairs are good for the sport.
9. I'm getting hungry and can't think anymore.
10. See # 9.

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
Invest in a chest protector and hand guards. Always ran those hard at scenic. . .

DW, BC, Malvern, beans, crow, 213...aren't rocky. I don't think beans is rocky either.....never been to chili town but don't see rocks on the videos. . . Are we talking about beans here being rocky? Scenic was rocky.

Amherst Meadowlarks gets the most riders in the CRA. I believe the turnout is b/t 130 and 180 entries. Also, I am going to race OMA next year b/c of the Vet Sport class. Do not change any classes. If people don't like them too bad. More classes = more entries = more income = win win.

ck1racerx

PR Addict
OMA is a racing organization. Turn out are RACES are down significantly over the past 20 years. Why? you ask a typical "practice pro" why they are not racing, 9 time out of ten you will get the same answer: "Why would I pay $25 to race 10 minuets, when I can practice all day for the same cost?" So, how do you fix that? First, not everyone that rides is a racer, duh. Nothing you do can fix that. BUT if you reduce the total number of moto's on a given day, you can get more ride time which helps eliminate that argument. The correct number of classes (see any of my past posts) still gives everyone an option for a second class. All of that equals happier RACERS that felt like they got their monies worth and promoters that actually made more money because the day was shorter and less trophies to buy. And you are not a racer if you only want 4 laps in the first moto and cut to 3 for the second because the day is taking to long.

As far as rocky tracks... pull up the great youtube on this here interweb and watch videos of all of the tracks currently in the OMA. It will be very obvious which tracks have rock issues. I never said all do, and I am not trying to throw those rocks, so you be the judge. Most of the tracks look fun but man, getting nailed in the neck with a rock the size of my foot is not fun.

MSM69Z28

PR Member
Another mention for Route 62 to join the OMA. Not sure if Lonnie has an interest in joining, but I would personally like to see that facility on the schedule. From what I recall reading, OMA prides itself on their track prep, enthusiasm for the sport, and fun tracks. Lonnie is a true enthusiast, and really has turned rt 62 into a great moto facility. The track is very challenging, and he has really put a lot of effort into nailing his track prep. He does a great job, IMO.

Michael

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
Just say what track you think is rocky. If I'm a promoter I want to know what people think. I watch youtube vids and can't readily pick out rocky nightmares.........legitimately last rocky track in Ohio I remember is scenic. Briarcliff doesn't have a rock on the entire property.

The vet sport class is very much needed. My dad wouldn't of thrown a leg over a bike in 15 years without it being offered on the weekend. It pulls lost vet riders back into the sport. It is vital.

Nick46

PR Addict

Lost OIR? Since when? Jason turned the reins over to Chet and Nick last I heard and they are in for next year????

Jason has told us that we are in for next year with somewhere around 5 races.

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
Just say what track you think is rocky. If I'm a promoter I want to know what people think. I watch youtube vids and can't readily pick out rocky nightmares.........legitimately last rocky track in Ohio I remember is scenic. Briarcliff doesn't have a rock on the entire property.

The vet sport class is very much needed. My dad wouldn't of thrown a leg over a bike in 15 years without it being offered on the weekend. It pulls lost vet riders back into the sport. It is vital.

We got rocks, some people don't power wash their bikes before leaving the "other" places, they're bringing them in. Believe it or not, there is some gravel on the driveway too

TwentyThreeMX

PR Founding Father
cant think of anyone particularly too rocky either. I know of one that was bad but not an OMA track so not related to this discussion lol

ck1racerx

PR Addict
Your right JO, that darn driveway is full of rocks..... Ok, so by watching the videos posted on this site, Crow looks like a bolder filled pit. The vid for Beans looks like a 10 foot wide cow path with trees 10 inches for the race line. I-77, I mean Dirtworld looks crazy fast. Again, I am not trying to bang on those tracks, I have never been there but if its not true then they need to post new vids. All of those tracks are at least 3 hour drive for me so when I watch the video's it helps me decide if I want to make the drive.
Everyone likes different lay outs for race tracks. For sure, it depends on your age. Young guys (for the most part) want high speed, jump filled speedways. Old guys want slower speeds and rollers. C riders (no matter the age) want to jump all the double and triples that the pros do. 50 and 65 parents want safe jumps that little Johnny can jumps... Old FAT guys like me want a beer keg at every corner.
Hard to build a track that everyone likes.
Enough with the Vet sport crap. All Vet classes are "sport" classes. A dude that is 43 years old is not going to jump on you or slam you in a corner. If you want a trophy that bad, push over one of the 50 kids and take theirs.

ck1racerx

PR Addict
If you don't think a video of the track makes you want to go ride there then ask yourself this question... What did you think of the last two tracks of the nationals?
Exactly,

MarctheSharc

PR Founding Father
Enough with the Vet sport crap. All Vet classes are "sport" classes. A dude that is 43 years old is not going to jump on you or slam you in a corner.
Put on a helmet bro. You haven't enjoyed a first turn till ya do it in a Vet Class......on 450's!

John250

PR Founding Father
Honestly, the only three tracks that would merit consideration in SW Ohio are Buckeye Hills, Dayton, and Dirt Country.

Buckeye Hills will not though, they have been having issues just barely keeping the place open for practice once and a while. Dayton, the track prep has been good the last couple years. I don't think there is no reason that they could not go OMA for MX only. Dirt Country, has become a flat, fast freeway the last few years. Dirt has become really good. They have mixed some stuff with it, and it is pretty decent. JO would need to get in there with a dozer and make it a MX track with some jumps again. But has potential.

I would love to see DMC and Dirt Country join the OMA to add that SW Ohio balance along with Chillitown.