OMA 2014.....tracks

Elliott4179

PR Addict
Crow's track was much improved after Brock went through with the rock hound before the race. It's getting a little bad again, rocks coming to the surface, since nothing much has been done to it since then, but it's not beyond repair. It could use a sprucing up. Not knocking anybody for the way it is, but nothing is going to be done to it when there aren't any funds to run the equipment. But it is definitely better than that video suggests. I'm there at least once a week, so yes I see it first hand.

MarctheSharc

PR Founding Father
[video=youtube_share;EyqcDdasSsw]http://youtu.be/EyqcDdasSsw[/video]
Well, We sure don't need any Sink Holes like these guys have to endure...

663dad

PR Addict
Honestly, the only three tracks that would merit consideration in SW Ohio are Buckeye Hills, Dayton, and Dirt Country.

Buckeye Hills will not though, they have been having issues just barely keeping the place open for practice once and a while. Dayton, the track prep has been good the last couple years. I don't think there is no reason that they could not go OMA for MX only. Dirt Country, has become a flat, fast freeway the last few years. Dirt has become really good. They have mixed some stuff with it, and it is pretty decent. JO would need to get in there with a dozer and make it a MX track with some jumps again. But has potential.

I would love to see DMC and Dirt Country join the OMA to add that SW Ohio balance along with Chillitown.

John,
Just to clarify Buckeye hills in the process of placing a irrigation system in, drain tiles at low areas. Buckeye Hills will not open to the public ,with sub par track conditions.

John250

PR Founding Father
OK Chris........we need to call Cindy and Rocky and work out a deal to lease DC from them.......we would have the best damn OMA track in SW Ohio!

ck1racerx

PR Addict
Let's do it. We could lease it for 4 or 5 weeks a year and return it to its days of glory. 300 to 500 at every race. I am serious, let's get it done

John250

PR Founding Father
I remember racing dirt country back in the 80s on Saturday nights. Jet Ski races in the pond during the day, motocross at night. Some nights getting out of there at 1 or later in the morning. Was always cool racing there at night. Large crowds, lots of local spectators coming out for the party.....it was the place to be.

The track could be improved, and I believe could get large crowds again.........Nitro, you don't think a couple guys could put races on without worrying about making money? As long as they are breaking even? I put in TONS of hours for months as a board member, coach, and league rep in football. So some people would be willing to volunteer to make motocross better.....maybe to prove it can be done.

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
I remember racing dirt country back in the 80s on Saturday nights. Jet Ski races in the pond during the day, motocross at night. Some nights getting out of there at 1 or later in the morning. Was always cool racing there at night. Large crowds, lots of local spectators coming out for the party.....it was the place to be.

The track could be improved, and I believe could get large crowds again.........Nitro, you don't think a couple guys could put races on without worrying about making money? As long as they are breaking even? I put in TONS of hours for months as a board member, coach, and league rep in football. So some people would be willing to volunteer to make motocross better.....maybe to prove it can be done.

Yes, all of those things take time (hours) combined, but i bet you'd spend twice as much as all of them combined to run a track, or least to do it right. And you'd sweat a heck of alot more. If anyone wants to get into promoting, I would advice them to try and become a farmer first, its similar. If you farm for a couple years and dont loose your intial investment or your arse for that matter, then you have a chance. You need to be part farmer, machinist fabricator, weather man, mechanic, excavator/contractor, sales man, general manager, graphic designer, and still know how to ride (at least halfway decent) to pull off this gig well. A jack of all trades, and be able to do them all with little or no sleep, shot nerves, and chronic fatigue. Oh and I forgot to mention, you need a team of 4-6 to help alot, and another 15-20 to "lend a hand" once in awhile. Still want to do this for nothing? Because more then likely thats what you will get if your lucky starting out.....Unless you run practice.

nitrofish

PR Addict

My reply had no opinion, I was referring to Buddy who sells carpet. That guy's commercials always cracked me up. But if you're asking? Yes someone could do a few races and be fine breaking even. They would have to work for Buddy selling carpet though on the side and would eventually hate motocross and the people. Too much work and headaches to do for free.

nhogan171

PR Member
Dayton and Dirt country are both part of the reason district 11's turnouts became what they were. Rocky's attitude at DC is terrible and so is the track. Dayton is a sub par facility with no parking! Neither place can hold a race in the middle of summer because of dust and not having the means to water enough. What track is next in your recommendations John250 Treaty City?

Scoob

PR Founding Father
Yes, all of those things take time (hours) combined, but i bet you'd spend twice as much as all of them combined to run a track, or least to do it right. And you'd sweat a heck of alot more. If anyone wants to get into promoting, I would advice them to try and become a farmer first, its similar. If you farm for a couple years and dont loose your intial investment or your arse for that matter, then you have a chance. You need to be part farmer, machinist fabricator, weather man, mechanic, excavator/contractor, sales man, general manager, graphic designer, and still know how to ride (at least halfway decent) to pull off this gig well. A jack of all trades, and be able to do them all with little or no sleep, shot nerves, and chronic fatigue. Oh and I forgot to mention, you need a team of 4-6 to help alot, and another 15-20 to "lend a hand" once in awhile. Still want to do this for nothing? Because more then likely thats what you will get if your lucky starting out.....Unless you run practice.

From what I've seen...he ain't joking. Stop laughing!

Yeah, I don't know how you do it sometimes JO bro man. I can't help, but think sometimes while doing my rounds when and/or if the day will come when you say, "I've had enough"... Honestly, I try not to think about it too much as it's depressing to an extent. Just enjoy it while I can and hope that maybe I'll meet my maker and/or the body says it's had enough (which seems at times not all that far off ;)) before that time comes.

Crazy how folks think it just happens and/or "you're just lucky". The funniest one is the one where peeps just think about the gate fee times the amount of peeps and think, man! that dude is raking it in and/or is rich!...failing to look around and see where "all that" mullah is going as well as to think about all the things they cannot see. Then you have some tracks that do that and HAVE "raked it in" and obviously not put it back in the track. RIP....

It's best to tell the track owners that do care and you can actually see where the "profits?" are going, "thanks a million!" and tell those others that could care less to close it down and quit robbing pennies from those that do... I always thought I could run a track, but then again...I dunno. I like having fun and spending money (on fun stuff, not necessities ;)) too much. ;)

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
The only way I'd start a track is if I had $300,000 to start with. And I wouldn't build a track within 1 hr of another. You need great equipment. Your prep is only as good as your equipment(and your earth mover behind the joystick). If equipment is junk prep wil suffer and so will your turnouts.

Scoob

PR Founding Father
The only way I'd start a track is if I had $300,000 to start with. And I wouldn't build a track within 1 hr of another. You need great equipment. Your prep is only as good as your equipment(and your earth mover behind the joystick). If equipment is junk prep wil suffer and so will your turnouts.

Yep, and to just make sure you are not scrambling when something breaks, have 2 of everything and another back up just in case. I would probably need 40+ million so I could build a stadium with a retractable roof. Then we could run all year round rain or shine. Although, Ohio weather is fairly predicable...ummm, that it is unpredictable. ;)