An open and candid discussion about GP Racing

Gp's on Saturday kill it for me Jeremy. Drew says he has better crowds on Saturday for his Gp's. Who knows. Gp's are definitely the best bang for the buck. I just wish more were on Sunday

BINGO!

Look at Saturday MX turnouts...overall they are always lower! Move the GP's to Sunday!

Being a moto guy all my life, for the first time in my life I would rather race the GPs. They're physical. You race the course and you race yourself. All while its a ton of fun. Your whole day isn't shot. And if you want to race all day you can stay and run multiple classes. It's puts the rider in control of his day.

When I finish my whole body feels like rubber. And it's satisfying. But you don't have to ride them like that. Pit knows how to pace himself. I can't pace myself lol. I just go until exhaustion takes me back to the earth.

To be honest i had no clue what GP races were, after watching one of the gopro videos they look awesome and I will be attending these in the future.

1. No to shortening the course for the kids. Yes, my wife said to you " where can I see the kid?" Don't listen to her, if she had her way his wheels would never leave the ground! Lol. Kids love the woods, they just need to be given the chance to do so. The best thing you did was having the "chaser" bike every lap when the youngin's were out there. That takes the worry out as a parent when viewing is not an option. The way I see it, I got 45 minutes of piece and quiet when he was out there!

2. 45 minutes is perfect. If I can make it, anyone can!

I did think the turnout would have been better, especially being at your establishment. It seems a lot of folk quite riding after Labor Day? I was most disappointed at the youth turnout. I think 5 kids total for all classes! ?? They love to ride more than anyone, you just gotta get them to the track. Other sports are an issue for kids, but those are decisions that have to be made. Jack left his football game early to race, but unfortunately I can't let him do it 2 weeks in a row. He wanted to play ball and I explained to him that he would miss some racing. He's bummed about missing Crow and so am I.

Lastly, I trust some track owners of what their track and/or conditions will be and others I do not and others I just don't know? What does this mean? I dunno? I'll get back to you on that one.

Another item in my opinion is that there are other awesome OMA tracks with open practice within an hour on the day of the event. I understand that the tracks need to survive...but one is hurting the other...ad they are in the same organization

I dunno man. I had a blast and will definately hope to do more. My plan was to run the series, but as will everything in my MX life the past few years, well, let's just leave it at the "hokey pokey". I just do not know if I will ever "race" every weekend again. Ride every weekend? You bet, but I will be choosey in the events I run. I like to complete a series, but even though the wife and I have fun at the track on race day, we have simliar fun times elsewhere with other friends and family as well. I am not 100% moto anymore. Moto minded maybe, but moto racing... no... Make sense?

Desire has nothing to do with it to me. Sure, I won't pick GP's over MX if I had to, but man, after running Drew's first ever way back in the day and BC's this past weekend, I am a fan. GP's are so laid back in the sense of after the first lap it's pretty much just you and the track unless you find someone at your same pace which if we had more folks show up might be more of the case.

I grew up trail riding in Perry County and Wayne National Forest before MX. I like a GP as it's just a nice in between for someone who cannot ride on the MX track for much more than 10-15 minutes anymore, but put away a 45 minute GP and feel great about it. Heck, I still would have ran it even if it poured before it. Saying that, looks like we got mighty lucky though as just a mile from BC on my 10 minute jaunt home, roads were soaked all the way home....

Personally, I was thinking last night as to why we wouldn't have a season long GP series over just a fall series. The way my riding days are, I just cannot plan to hit more than 2 events a month of which I am not even getting in now. Thank God for BC!!! ;) I like season long series anyway I guess, Suppose I could just make the OMA overall series my series, but I'm not going to be very competative due the 1 or 2 events I get in a month...someday...

Personally not a fan of going high speed through the woods, that's why I didn't run hs.... I say make it a super long moto track and keep the same schedule with one 45 min moto. MOST important. LOSE the dead engine start. For me the first turn is the best part of the race.
The one GP that I have rode was a good time but man the trees scare me and I'm not smart enough to slow down.

Another item in my opinion is that there are other awesome OMA tracks with open practice within an hour on the day of the event. I understand that the tracks need to survive...but one is hurting the other...ad they are in the same organization

When BC closes, people in our area go to Rt. 62, and I have a feeling the same goes for a lot of regions in Ohio. You cant force people to do the GP thing, they have to want to do it. The only way to prevent what you are saying happens is to close all tracks in Ohio (no place to ride but the GP or Mx that weekend). Until then, if we close an OMA track, then they will just go to the next closest that they like. Our mindset is that we would rather have them supporting an OMA track than not. You can lead a horse to water, but.....

Personally not a fan of going high speed through the woods, that's why I didn't run hs.... I say make it a super long moto track and keep the same schedule with one 45 min moto. MOST important. LOSE the dead engine start. For me the first turn is the best part of the race.
The one GP that I have rode was a good time but man the trees scare me and I'm not smart enough to slow down.

I dug the dead engine. It was different. Sorta weird, but not all bad, a lot of guys wanted to fire them up after the riders meeting on the line.

The first GP I ever ran was several years back at Switchback Gobbler GP. They ran the start from the MX gate just with several staggers. On my gate, I sort of just came out casually but the dude next to me went full WFO squirrel-bag and looped out into me, twisting me and my bike up. So then I had to race for 45 minutes all twisted up.

Point is -- all you guys trying to change this into motocross -- just go race motocross. This is SUPPOSED TO BE DIFFERENT. If anybody's reason for not showing up is because there is a dead engine start, C'mon man. That's just weak. Go get a KTM then.

Also, I love Saturday races.

Like I said on Facebook, I just don't know how to convince people that this isn't some gnarly hare scramble that is going to destroy your bike. I left Briarcliff with less mud on my bike than I do on a good mx practice day at the cliff. My Dad always had me trail riding and doing occasional hare scrambles and woods riding my whole life so I am lucky enough to know that it isn't what everyone thinks, but I can not convince my friends my age that these races are fun. All I hear is "trails are gay" or "I dont want to mess up my new graphics." Everyone is all about going and getting their picture taken over a big jump throwing whips. I swear sometimes some of my friends ride just to look cool rather than have fun lol. I think it may be a lost cause with guys in the 16-24 range. Need to target young kids to help it grow and vet riders.

The first GP I ever ran was several years back at Switchback Gobbler GP. They ran the start from the MX gate just with several staggers. On my gate, I sort of just came out casually but the dude next to me went full WFO squirrel-bag and looped out into me, twisting me and my bike up. So then I had to race for 45 minutes all twisted up.

Point is -- all you guys trying to change this into motocross -- just go race motocross. This is SUPPOSED TO BE DIFFERENT. If anybody's reason for not showing up is because there is a dead engine start, C'mon man. That's just weak. Go get a KTM then.

Read the title of the thread... The questions was asked and I give my answer. And I want long motocross motos....so there....lol

"Personally not a fan"...

You should have just stopped there. ;) Who the heck on here can do 45 minutes + 1 of MX? We would have maybe 5 riders instead of 91. That was one thing I heard a lot of when I asked folks if they were coming, "I dunno. Riding 45 minutes? Can you race 45 minutes?"... On an MX track, hell no. On a good GP track like we had Saturday?...hells to the yeah...

Leave it as is. Was fantastic. Some will, some won't. Just need to promote it better somehow. Have a GP practice session during a regular MX day or something? Have a free...or discounted GP race once a year at difference locations? Maybe have a mini-GP where each session goes 25 minutes?...

Even after the GP over the weekend, I heard those that said they had fun, but won't race another. They just don't like the woods. Nothing you can do there... I think we need to have them in the OMA for maybe a 3 year deal. If by then they do not prove worthy...kill 'em. This was only the second GP in the first year of the OMA...

I bet you can do a 45 min moto... If you made it in a GP then why not?
I am not against GP's, they have there place and yes they are a ton of fun. One of the main reasons its fun is once you go in the woods, no one can see you slow down because your tired. Now take that to a long mx track and Betty Lou can see your tired and slow. That may help some of the guys around here get better in moto. Fun? yes. But really, its not a "race"... just fun.
Riding a moped and a fat chic are also fun, as long as no one sees you.
Just stay away form fat chics on mopeds... not a good combo

This^^^^^

It should be different.

I bet you can do a 45 min moto... If you made it in a GP then why not?
I am not against GP's, they have there place and yes they are a ton of fun. One of the main reasons its fun is once you go in the woods, no one can see you slow down because your tired. Now take that to a long mx track and Betty Lou can see your tired and slow. That may help some of the guys around here get better in moto. Fun? yes. But really, its not a "race"... just fun.
Riding a moped and a fat chic are also fun, as long as no one sees you.
Just stay away form fat chics on mopeds... not a good combo

So you're telling me Enduros and GNCC's aren't races because that is all woods and no one can see you? That is your own personal choice to go slow through the woods because you are tired. I can tell you this, at Battle for Ohio I pulled off in the Pro class about mid way through my 6th lap. Could not hang on anymore. At the GP I would argue my fastest lap was my last. It isn't that I just putted through the woods it is just a lot less tiring to put my 450 in 3rd gear and keep my momentum up through the woods than it is to be wide open for 15 minutes on an mx track. I can't speak for everyone, but I can tell you I was not just going slow back in the woods because no one can see. I can see why you don't think this is a race if that is your mentality lol

Ryan I rode one GNCC at Sunday creek back in 2000 and I can tell you that is EXACTLY what I did.. man I could not wait for the woods so I could slow down, damn, it about killed me. Much respect for the dudes bouncing off trees slashing though creeks.
As a crazy 50 parent I am also not down with sending my son off into the woods where I can not see if he goes down and or stalls it and can not get the bike started.
So I guess I am not suggesting change to GP as much as I am suggesting changing mx to the long moto format... More seat time makes better riders.

Add a keg pit stop and I am running the series. At least half of every race.

So you're telling me Enduros and GNCC's aren't races because that is all woods and no one can see you? That is your own personal choice to go slow through the woods because you are tired. I can tell you this, at Battle for Ohio I pulled off in the Pro class about mid way through my 6th lap. Could not hang on anymore. At the GP I would argue my fastest lap was my last. It isn't that I just putted through the woods it is just a lot less tiring to put my 450 in 3rd gear and keep my momentum up through the woods than it is to be wide open for 15 minutes on an mx track. I can't speak for everyone, but I can tell you I was not just going slow back in the woods because no one can see. I can see why you don't think this is a race if that is your mentality lol

x2...well, except for the Pro Class part and 6th lap... ;)

Like I said on Facebook, I just don't know how to convince people that this isn't some gnarly hare scramble that is going to destroy your bike. I left Briarcliff with less mud on my bike than I do on a good mx practice day at the cliff. My Dad always had me trail riding and doing occasional hare scrambles and woods riding my whole life so I am lucky enough to know that it isn't what everyone thinks, but I can not convince my friends my age that these races are fun. All I hear is "trails are gay" or "I dont want to mess up my new graphics." Everyone is all about going and getting their picture taken over a big jump throwing whips. I swear sometimes some of my friends ride just to look cool rather than have fun lol. I think it may be a lost cause with guys in the 16-24 range. Need to target young kids to help it grow and vet riders.

I think this guy said it pretty good. Seems to me like most people these days are all about looking good and specializing in motocross. I always took pride in the fact that i can run competitvely in moto, HS, Enduro, gncc, and GP racing. I've even done trials and flat track along with road racing. Guess im a motorcyclist and other people fall into a specific genre. In fact i never did a GP before coming to ohio, in FL its Moto, HS or Enduros.

I said it on briarcliffs FB page already that i didnt make it to braircliffs GP because i had truck problems and no one to co- pilot with me. its a 3 hr drive for me to briarcliff and crow canyon this weekend, i dont know if ill make it to crow either at this time :/

Back