Crow Canyon GP!

Hey Pit, I think Hershey liked your 144. I guess you'll have him full on Suzuki soon.

I was trying to stay out of your way on the jumps, I think my skirt was caught in the c/s sprocket, lol. Thanks for letting me by into the woods.

Haha, yeah last week I loaned Hause a clutch perch so he could beat me in +40, this week I loaned out an entire bike to Smith so he could beat me!

That was fun on the track with you, I knew I would pass you over all those doubles but no way was I motivated to try and stay ahead in the woods so I just pulled over. Kindof what makes these GPs cool, some guys can make up time on the MX part and some make it up in the woods.

I had some weird issues at Crow, just not my day. I got a flu shot at work and my left arm was killing me all day, making my hand go numb. Then, for the 3pm session, as I was riding to the gate my goggles got caught between my fork and radiator and put a big crease across my lens. I didn't realize it until I went to put them on to go, it was like looking through a distorted fun-house mirror on the track. To top it off, somehow I switched my GoPro to picture mode without realizing it, so when I came home to look at video all I had was two pics -- one of Brock walking away from us to start the race and one of the truck at the end! DOH

Hershey already sent me pics -- his clutch basket broke the small gear off the back so it was an easy fix for him.

CHudak was FLYING and in the one session he lapped me twice!

Well, after Beans I took a major beating on turnout. I don't mind putting in the effort to make something work as long as I can break even. After being $2,500 in the whole after two rounds I,m doubtful I will try to put on another GP lol. At least without a restructure of classes and time. Pit had a great idea of putting some on in the spring. The track could have been better but unfortunately I had to send workers home because I knew I was gonna loose my but and do it all myself. The 3 o'clock session was getting dusty and with only one moto left I could have just left it but I kept on dragging hose to keep it down. It's hard cause u don't have a break to get caught up much. I tried, I thought price was a major factor and I guess I was wrong. Perfect day just getting late in the year and maybe everyone is getting burnt out. Thanks so much for those who came and next year if I try another in the spring it will maybe be a 45 min big bike class at 9:00 100% MX. Then followed at 10:00 with a 45 min 50/50 GP for big bikes. 11:00 open up the woods and do a 1:30 min harescramble bikes followed by a 1:30 scramble for quads at 2:00. Let me know your thoughts as everyone should be happy then lol. That way the mx track would be ripped and killer in the morning and rough ang gnarly for the gncc guys that want great training. Let me know your thought!
Brock

I can see its hard for a promoter to put these on,not many riders.Im a vintage rider just looking for someplace to ride without getting jumped on. I tried to stay out of the road of the fast guys!

Bummer to hear you've lost so much $$$ over these gp's. My parents, brother and I have really enjoyed the gp's the last few weekends because you don't HAVE to be at the track all day. We've been getting a little burnt out with working monday-friday, getting bikes prepped friday night, racing saturday, cleaning up from racing sunday and going back at it again week after week. The gp's let us still get in the track time we need and still have a lot more free time on the weekends. Thanks to the oma and everyone else that helps put on these races. By the way I loved the 50/50 mix between mx and woods and also the shorter 3 minute lap times. Got a lot more air time at this gp compared to the last gp's lol.

Well, after Beans I took a major beating on turnout. I don't mind putting in the effort to make something work as long as I can break even. After being $2,500 in the whole after two rounds I,m doubtful I will try to put on another GP lol. At least without a restructure of classes and time. Pit had a great idea of putting some on in the spring. The track could have been better but unfortunately I had to send workers home because I knew I was gonna loose my but and do it all myself. The 3 o'clock session was getting dusty and with only one moto left I could have just left it but I kept on dragging hose to keep it down. It's hard cause u don't have a break to get caught up much. I tried, I thought price was a major factor and I guess I was wrong. Perfect day just getting late in the year and maybe everyone is getting burnt out. Thanks so much for those who came and next year if I try another in the spring it will maybe be a 45 min big bike class at 9:00 100% MX. Then followed at 10:00 with a 45 min 50/50 GP for big bikes. 11:00 open up the woods and do a 1:30 min harescramble bikes followed by a 1:30 scramble for quads at 2:00. Let me know your thoughts as everyone should be happy then lol. That way the mx track would be ripped and killer in the morning and rough ang gnarly for the gncc guys that want great training. Let me know your thought!
Brock

First of all, I need to say thanks for putting in the work! I had a blast and thought you did a great job with lay out and all.

Now to offer my thoughts and opinions:

Due to not breaking up the top layer of dirt on the mx track, in many places if felt like ice. Not good for the mx guys, probably no worries for the woods guys. My opinion: I would have run the disc around it once.

My opinion on the woods: I would have laid out a course that would allow a 6 or 8 foot wide set of disc to be drug through most of the woods. I think that would allow for more passing in the woods.

I think the only way you are going to get more of the mx crowd to crossover is to make the woods look more like a tight mx track than an easy hare scramble.

Those are just a few of my thoughts on how to make it better fit the majority of the crowd you are trying to reach.

As for me, I loved it and like I said, I had a blast. Like you, I would like to see more racers out there. After experiencing it first hand, not only recruiting people to come, but also racing, I just don't know if there is anything you can do to get our mx crowd to come and have fun with it. The two obstacles I ran into during recruiting are: too long of a moto, and the word "woods". I don't get it, I hear lots of complaints about moto's being too short or laps being cut for the second motos but when you give them the chance to run the extra time they shy away. Again, I think if the woods sections were more like a mx track and less dogging trees like a hare scramble, you may get more of the mx crowd.

I brought my son along thinking he would absolutely love it. At the end of the day he had mixed emotions. I think the few really tight tree sections had him worried every lap. The lack of ruts on the mx track had him confused. The overall time may have been just a little too long. That's just one opinion. I am for whatever keeps it in operation and moving in a positive direction for motorcycles in general.

Back