Winter Projects Re-re-re-re-visited

Mike

PR Addict
So it’s a “TWO WINTER” project.

After a long drive in bad winter weather to Buffalo, to pick up a “really good” 84 RM 250, I thought I might be at the wrong house, pretty rough. So after a bit of negotiation, including a free RM 125 I headed home. Closer examination revealed bent forks, damaged cases, wrong shock, and a multitude of other issues. Decide last year to ride my 125 and gather the parts to build a decent bike this year.

Some might not like the color / logo scheme, but I do. I decided to take a “Team” approach and matched it to my 125, which is the only bike I have raced in my short three year MX career.

84 RM 250.jpg

mooch

PR Elite
So it’s a “TWO WINTER” project.

After a long drive in bad winter weather to Buffalo, to pick up a “really good” 84 RM 250, I thought I might be at the wrong house, pretty rough. So after a bit of negotiation, including a free RM 125 I headed home. Closer examination revealed bent forks, damaged cases, wrong shock, and a multitude of other issues. Decide last year to ride my 125 and gather the parts to build a decent bike this year.

Some might not like the color / logo scheme, but I do. I decided to take a “Team” approach and matched it to my 125, which is the only bike I have raced in my short three year MX career.

250 looks nice, you must've been busy this winter to get it looking like that! Looks like you painted the frame black to match the 125 too. Surely it didn't come with the DG pipe?

Mike

PR Addict
250 looks nice, you must've been busy this winter to get it looking like that! Looks like you painted the frame black to match the 125 too. Surely it didn't come with the DG pipe?
It came with very little worth keeping, it did have a decent oem pipe,

Dano762

PR Addict

There are only 2 things I can say about the color and logo scheme. Looks Great and I like it. When John says nice job it is a good compliment, we have all seen the moto-art he cranks out.

Don't let all that power go to your head or dump you on your head. Looking forward to seeing it in person.

Is Unadilla its debut 250 race?

Mike

PR Addict
There are only 2 things I can say about the color and logo scheme. Looks Great and I like it. When John says nice job it is a good compliment, we have all seen the moto-art he cranks out.

Don't let all that power go to your head or dump you on your head. Looking forward to seeing it in person.

Is Unadilla its debut 250 race?

Yes MX rewind at Unadilla, are you going?

mx049

PR Elite
Eye candy wish I could race as very fast and carves turns like a Maico always did! Bike and rider should be getting ready for Unadilla as was on my bucket list but rider needs a full back restoration...if only it was as easy to fix old racers as the motorcycles are ...lol!
20151010_163832.jpg

cutty22

PR Member
My 78 Yz I picked up in Detroit from the original owner it still had original tires grips it was completely original! The guy said he save his paper route money and bought it when he was a kid and just rode it in a field by his house!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 258

Original44

PR Addict
My 78 Yz I picked up in Detroit from the original owner it still had original tires grips it was completely original! The guy said he save his paper route money and bought it when he was a kid and just rode it in a field by his house!

Wow! What a ture survivor.

AHRMA361

PR Founding Father
That thing is S-W-E-E-T! Love the period mods. I HAVE to get to work on my 78 RM125C. I have had the Simons forks and Fox shocks done for 2 years now, engine is newly rebuilt in a box with a DG radial.....just need to pull the trigger on wheels! Have been looking for a LOP swingarm forever

Original44

PR Addict
Finally after 9 years the 1982 Suzuki RM 125 is done. First and only bike I ever bought unseen. Will never make that mistake again. Basically the whole bike was bad. The frame was missing the bracket that held the chain rollers on. Didn't discover it until after I had the frame powder coated. The swingarm was broke at the motor mount and couldn't be fixed. Luckily I was able to find a used frame and a brand-new swingarm at a local Suzuki shop. The cylinder was sleeved and broken. The clutch basket looked like a serrated knife. So needless to say I named this bike the money pit.

I spent the last nine years collecting parts. I first started with the engine. NOS crank, cylinder, ignition, coil, transmission, water pump and complete clutch. The engine is like brand-new. Was lucky that Suzuki still had most of the plastic available and was also able to find a NOS gas tank. After finding some really cool trick parts like the Ohlins shock, Sun rims, Dave Miller pipe, silencer and answer bars. It finally came together. One of my favorite summers as a kid was racing that year bike in 1982.
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    212.8 KB · Views: 216
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    291 KB · Views: 233
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    235.8 KB · Views: 224
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    160.5 KB · Views: 236

Dano762

PR Addict
The bikes in this post keep getting nicer and nicer.

Absolutely incredible!!! Raises the bar for the Winter Profects Re-re-re-re-visited post.

Ready to start over on another?

image.jpeg