First Turns

John250

PR Founding Father
Someone mentioned all the first turns in SX go left. So what do people prefer? Left or right for the first turn? I prefer left, but yet some of my favorite tracks go right now that I think about it. So any opinions? Does it matter to anyone?

I prefer left handers for that reason. However, now that I think about it, right handers might be a little safer. Forces you to be smooth.

Right handers suck. No brake availability. Wait a minute......what are brakes? They should be renamed to sissy apparatus...(or would that be aparati? plural)

Flat tracker's got no problems making left handers without brakes......I mean sissy aparati...

Ive raced Malvern enough times in my life, when i get to a right handed first turn it almost seems way too easy.

Its does not matter what the outcome was. The rules are written with a grey area. "Return to the track in the nearest, safest location without improving your position." I do believe 99% of the time that rule is ignored and I don't know why. If you only need to return in a safe manner, why not just get a hole shot and ride next to the track and miss every obstacle? You will never get tired or passed. Clearly the rule was written for rider safety (we don't want idiots riding the opposite direction) but it is being abused. How about making the rider come to a complete stop, then re-enter the track??? Behind everyone is the safest place to return.
I always like the right hand first turns. A little more technical and helps prevent the crazy dudes from riding the brake wfo.

It looked to me like he Got pushed into a tough block and jumped off it. I think in that case he shouldn't have been docked.

Disagree... Not that he got pushed or didn't... I say it does not matter. He did not go around the first turn and should have been docked...
If you say it is OK because he got bumped then EVERYONE can say "I got bumped". This rule has always bothered me (Like most things) and in my mind, it is cheating. I don't care who it is and for what reason, You cut the track you are cheating.

Since I left racing forever ago... When did the Columbus race move into the current space? I assumed it was still in the big, old arena. The new one looks nice and more floor space.

But he hit the tough block and jumped / almost wrecked and lost 3 positions or so. Good reason not to be docked.

he could have stayed on the track but he would have been about midpack. nobody was going to win that from a mid pack start. where did Mike finish in the 250 main with a bad start?? Last, I guess he was more worried about roosting number 6 in the 250 class... I lost all respect for him at Columbus.. the go pro video did not do what he did justice.... I was sitting right in front of there and everyone one around could not believe he got away with that!

Here are screen shots from my phone of the video. If you think he lost three spots doing that you are crazy. Thats just like AMS to let someone get away with stuff like that anyways. Cutting the track is cutting the track no matter the reason.

image (1).jpg

image.jpg

I was not there and I don't know the guy. I am judging it by the video alone. He cut the track and should be docked. Too many times we let personal feelings cloud the facts. That's why Lady Justice wears a blindfold.

I wasn't there either.....The video looked like he hit the tough block and bobbled real bad loosing spots. Guess not. It's a good thing I'm not a side line video referee ! I would have made a bad call.

Back