2014 OMA Rule Book and Classes

I will have to admit, that is my biggest disappointment in the OMA. That the class structure has done nothing to change from where every other organization is........with WAY too many classes.

I will have to admit, that is my biggest disappointment in the OMA. That the class structure has done nothing to change from where every other organization is........with WAY too many classes.

I know this is nowhere near as progressive as everyone had hoped, but as with everything this is way easier said than done. Ideas sound good until you see the effects. The fact is this, we are responsible for the future of a lot of moto families in Ohio. We did eliminate some classes and we did add some, and we changed some. We did all of this with the positives and negatives in mind. Are we happy with the outcome? I would say yes. Are we satisified? No. Right now we have a good formula, and we are moving toward a bright future. I feel we are on the right track.

Short motos? Not really, maybe in old guy moto language. We did incorporate timed motos. So the little ones get the same track time as the fast dudes. I know a ten minute moto is short, blah blah blah. Ride harder, these are sprints, push harder!

I say all of the above sincerely, no sarcasm.

Zack and I are down here at South of the Border. I am riding some but still have a ton of downtime which gets me into a lot of conversations with people. A lot of you have heard of a track down this way called Hog Heaven. I got into a very interesting discussion with Richard Eason the owner of Hog Heaven, he was telling me the that him and two other local tracks started thier own race series this past year with the idea of a very limited class structure and long moto's. "being an old school motocross guy I felt that was what was missing and wanted". "Boy was I wrong", he went on to tell me how he had so many people tell him how great that would be and it was exactly what they wanted (sounds a lot like our GP series) but all he got was complaints and continuously declining turnouts. Bottom line, people now a days want to be able to race more than one class. I am very glad I had the opritunity to talk with Richard because I have secretly wondered if the limited class structure would work.

I understand that whole class structure thing. It is just my opinion over the last 10 years, someone we have added too many "extra" classes that really are nothing more than extra.

Zack and I are down here at South of the Border. I am riding some but still have a ton of downtime which gets me into a lot of conversations with people. A lot of you have heard of a track down this way called Hog Heaven. I got into a very interesting discussion with Richard Eason the owner of Hog Heaven, he was telling me the that him and two other local tracks started thier own race series this past year with the idea of a very limited class structure and long moto's. "being an old school motocross guy I felt that was what was missing and wanted". "Boy was I wrong", he went on to tell me how he had so many people tell him how great that would be and it was exactly what they wanted (sounds a lot like our GP series) but all he got was complaints and continuously declining turnouts. Bottom line, people now a days want to be able to race more than one class. I am very glad I had the opritunity to talk with Richard because I have secretly wondered if the limited class structure would work.

Yeah that doesn't really surprise me. I see OIR is running bikes only on their pro day. Jason, any chance of running a bike only races or series? Say two at OIR and two at Malvern. I remember that OIR used to draw over 400 riders being bike only.

90-350 mod atv schoolboy class....could put a kid on a banshee or better yet a ktm350sx-f powered ktm atv. That'd be sick. Wish I was 12-16 lol.

Also included would be the JB 150 mods and the JB 250 mods that are growing in popularity at the Nationals. AMA keeps it creative for the pre-450. I'd love to see a 12 yr old on a Banshee. haha

Yeah that doesn't really surprise me. I see OIR is running bikes only on their pro day. Jason, any chance of running a bike only races or series? Say two at OIR and two at Malvern. I remember that OIR used to draw over 400 riders being bike only.

We might do a bikes only race especially if we have a race the weekend of BC's quad only practice. Don't think we would want to add another series though.

Bottom line, people now a days want to be able to race more than one class. I am very glad I had the opritunity to talk with Richard because I have secretly wondered if the limited class structure would work.

I agree some what. I would like to see how many people run more than 2 classes though. The class structure gives the opportunity to ride soooo many classes. I could ride 450b, +25, +30, +40, extra class

An 7-8 year old can race 5 classes, a 4-6 year old can run 3 classes.

My point being that people dont want to race more than 2 classes, the current class structure is made around the fact that people want to race a class they can win in. That is why there are 25 mx classes and 8 people in each. If they wanted to race more the gates would be full.

Might as well be soccer, everyone is a winner!

Post script.....this isnt a bag on OMA just MX class structure in general

Same classes all season, or are there extras for the Battle series like the secret +50 class last year?

With the Battle being an AMA sanctioned event, I assumed they would use the AMA rulebook and class structure of which includes 45+ and 50+???

I agree some what. I would like to see how many people run more than 2 classes though. The class structure gives the opportunity to ride soooo many classes. I could ride 450b, +25, +30, +40, extra class

My point being that people dont want to race more than 2 classes, the current class structure is made around the fact that people want to race a class they can win in. That is why there are 25 mx classes and 8 people in each. If they wanted to race more the gates would be full.

You missed one Hershey. A 40yr old woman could run: women's bike, 2 stroke, 250, open, +25, +30, +40, Atv, Atv open, Atv vet. 10 classes! Wow! No more women allowed.

"You missed one Hershey. A 40yr old woman could run: women's bike, 2 stroke, 250, open, +25, +30, +40, Atv, Atv open, Atv vet. 10 classes! Wow! No more women allowed."

Nitro-I am not as old as hershey so I can't run plus 40 but if I had a quad, a 2 stroke and a sponsor I would do it. lol

Question here... What class does a 12 year old male race his 250F? Just curious.

"You missed one Hershey. A 40yr old woman could run: women's bike, 2 stroke, 250, open, +25, +30, +40, Atv, Atv open, Atv vet. 10 classes! Wow! No more women allowed."

Nitro-I am not as old as hershey so I can't run plus 40 but if I had a quad, a 2 stroke and a sponsor I would do it. lol

I'll let you ride my yz 125....I'll even provide the fuel. And i'll prep your gate.

Question here... What class does a 12 year old male race his 250F? Just curious.

That depends, (14+)250B, (14+) 250C,(13-16) Schoolboy.....If they're trying to closely conform to AMA, they need to make a rider WEIGHT clause for OMA specific events that do not involve the ama. That can easily debunk the age requiremen in his case: If rider weights at least 130 lb then can race 250cc bike in 250B(if deemed skill eligible), 250C(if deemed skill eligible), Schoolboy. <===Not actual rule, just an Idea. And quite possibly a bad idea. Or quite possible a decent idea. Iono.

Meister has always been fat (hehehehehehe) I mean big.....he used to run C class at 12 years old with a full man chew....on a full man's bike. With a full man's attitude.

I'll let you ride my yz 125....I'll even provide the fuel. And i'll prep your gate.

That depends, (14+)250B, (14+) 250C,(13-16) Schoolboy.....If they're trying to closely conform to AMA, they need to make a rider WEIGHT clause for OMA specific events that do not involve the ama. That can easily debunk the age requiremen in his case: If rider weights at least 130 lb then can race 250cc bike in 250B(if deemed skill eligible), 250C(if deemed skill eligible), Schoolboy. <===Not actual rule, just an Idea. And quite possibly a bad idea. Or quite possible a decent idea. Iono.

Meister has always been fat (hehehehehehe) I mean big.....he used to run C class at 12 years old with a full man chew....on a full man's bike. With a full man's attitude.

In some weird parallel universe we think alike. I was just talking to Jason about rider weight instead of a minimum age. We were talking 65 and 85 classes, but I suppose it could apply to schoolboy, and maybe 250c too. It actually came up from a few kids that are big for their age wanting to race up a division on quads.

So essentially, in the scheme at hand we would establish a max age, because they need to fly the coop and move up at some point, except 250c and this doesn't apply to any age (vet type) classes, 25+, 30+, 40+ etc. then add a minimum weight instead of a min. age........I like it.....I like it A Lot.

Back