The decline of the AMA

healthcare.gov

You're covered! If young people won't sign up for it that's their problem...I haven't signed up because I have insurance through my employer. Although if that ever gets pulled, which probably will be the case in a few years I think, then ill be forced to sign up...

Actually, as my accountant has told me since 2009, only scholastic sports will be covered (They get an exemption) with Obamacare. Not MX competition, Ski competition, or any extreme kinda sports are covered. I wish I had the section right now, but maybe an insurance agent that knows the law can help out here.

More and more of this debacle of a mess with healthcare is coming to light everyday.

The reason is simple why extreme lifestyle is not covered: It isn't fair for society to pick up the tab. You need to pay for an extra policy to not burden those that conform to a normal lifestyle. Not that I agree with this train of thought, but our leaders do.....

Getting off the subject here , but kinda want to know what you guys think about the irony of all this cigarette banning. Used to be when I was a kid, cigarettes were cool, advertised on TV, in the magazines and on billboards. Now places like CVS Pharmacy will stop selling cigarettes in October. But in our state, as many states, they are pushing for the legalization of "POT"!! I guess they won't smoke it?? Just use it in brownies??

Oh so pot that used to be bad is good, and cigarettes are bad? What the hell is wrong with people in government today??

Goes to show you how many people are brainwashed with the TV, ala Riddler in the Batman movie!!

Quote: The reason is simple why extreme lifestyle is not covered: It isn't fair for society to pick up the tab. You need to pay for an extra policy to not burden those that conform to a normal lifestyle.

I have to pick up the tab for the life style of lazey non bill paying losers now. I have to pick up the tab for those unemployed, un-insured auto and health.

Riddle me this Honda Man! What is a normal lifestyle? heh hehe hehe hee heheheh.

I am never reading anything but moto trip threads!!!

My wife and I are both insurance agents. We both do employee benefits. Neither of us are aware of anything in ACA at this time that is going to exclude "extreme" sports, Now there are supplemental policies that absolutely exclude "extreme" sports and motorsports.

Life insurance is also prorated for extreme lifestyles. I had to fill out an extensive questionnaire about my racing when I got my last life policy. My wife is paying 1/3 of what I pay for that same amount of coverage and we are the same age. Now if your getting a small policy, or getting group term life, or GI or CGI through your employer the racing thing will not come into play on a life policy. But with full underwriting the racing question will absolutely be asked.

I guess I should clarify: I don't think that it is fair! We , as a society don't think it is fair, is what the government leaders are saying. Should make that more clear in the post. I don't agree with that train of thought. My MX over 40 brothers are much better, physically, than the guys who sit on the couch and cheer on PSU were I live. And more than one of them have had knee/hip replacements, and never were active in their whole life!! Most are on all kinds of meds too.

I think MX old men take about zero prescription medications too!!

I think everyone on here has a great lifestyle. Sitting on the couch watching PSU or the Steelers sucks. I couldn't even get anyone to go with me Superbowl weekend to Switchback. I even offered to pay for everything and I had no takers on my Facebook page. Got me thinking and I got a complex. I must smell bad..... I still went by myself. Had a blast!

Trip threads are B-O-S-S!!!! Thing is, the next week looks bleak from Pa to NC. Bummer. Looks like one more week of Switchback before we go South.....

Obama announced today that companies 51-99 will not have to now provide health insurance for employees until 2016. This had already happened for the companies 100 and larger. But the companies 2-50 (majority of the US business) are still getting screwed, and having to change to be legal with ACA. So they are changing their plans, and paying all the fees with ACA, while companies 51 and over now, are exempt until 2016 (getting the elected officials through the mid-term elections). These changes are also not eliminating the individual mandate, so the American people are still getting screwed. ACA is about getting more people covered with health insurance, and to this point, it is causing MORE people to be uninsured.

Call your congressman and senators today, and tell them that ACA needs repealed for everyone!

Obama announced today that companies 51-99 will not have to now provide health insurance for employees until 2016. This had already happened for the companies 100 and larger. But the companies 2-50 (majority of the US business) are still getting screwed, and having to change to be legal with ACA. So they are changing their plans, and paying all the fees with ACA, while companies 51 and over now, are exempt until 2016 (getting the elected officials through the mid-term elections). These changes are also not eliminating the individual mandate, so the American people are still getting screwed. ACA is about getting more people covered with health insurance, and to this point, it is causing MORE people to be uninsured.

Call your congressman and senators today, and tell them that ACA needs repealed for everyone!

I called last week, since I am a small business owner. Thanks for the new info. 2016 now instead of at the end of this year.....
Corruption, at its best.....
Just keep the liars and drunks in office longer........

Thanks for the above info on insurance. I hope your right, but as an insurance agent, you also know that there has been some purposely led misinformation in the past. Hopefully, I have been misinformed...

Thanks for the above info on insurance. I hope your right, but as an insurance agent, you also know that there has been some purposely led misinformation in the past. Hopefully, I have been misinformed...

Tons of misinformation out there! Tons! And it literally changes EVERY day.

Did I miss something again? How did this become a personal insurance conversation?
No track is responsible for getting each participant insurance. That is up to the riders. The insurance that the AMA "provides" is covering the facility and promoter incase some a**hole tries to sue them because they got hurt, or incase something is damaged or destroyed.
Other organizations purchase this insurance as well. The BIG issue is that the AMA requires all events "sanctioned" by them, must purchase the coverage "through" them. (Sorry about all the " "'s. Just trying to prove a point) The AMA holds 1000's events every year and the cost of the insurance is around $1000. Other organizations purchase the same coverage from a different provider and are paying much less (around $700, give or take). We as riders pay that extra cost through gate fees and entry.
Why does the AMA insurance cost so much? Don't give me the better coverage BS... Its not better, its the same.

Did I miss something again? How did this become a personal insurance conversation?
No track is responsible for getting each participant insurance. That is up to the riders. The insurance that the AMA "provides" is covering the facility and promoter incase some a**hole tries to sue them because they got hurt, or incase something is damaged or destroyed.
Other organizations purchase this insurance as well. The BIG issue is that the AMA requires all events "sanctioned" by them, must purchase the coverage "through" them. (Sorry about all the " "'s. Just trying to prove a point) The AMA holds 1000's events every year and the cost of the insurance is around $1000. Other organizations purchase the same coverage from a different provider and are paying much less (around $700, give or take). We as riders pay that extra cost through gate fees and entry.
Why does the AMA insurance cost so much? Don't give me the better coverage BS... Its not better, its the same.

Dude, I agree with you 100%. I have a lifetime membership, and I haven't raced a AMA race since 2011, and that was maybe one or two. I ride exclusively outlaw racetrack for the past two years because the AMA is so damn corrupt, at the district level all the way to the homebase in Ohio.

Now, until I heard about medical coverage for individuals, I felt the same as you. We need this for people who race, as I stated above. Of course coverage for motorcycle racing MAY NOT BE NEEDED, but NOBODY KNOWS WHERE THIS Medical coverage/health insurance is going. It is a little soap opera with the federal government.

Any how what I am talking about is coverage for the riders, as stated in this AMA/GNCC video that came out about two weeks ago. Starts at around 5:10 and explains it in a little detail what insurance I am talking about.

Of course it might be all smoke and mirrors and they don't intend to offer coverage. Just a way to get more "bodies" to become AMA sheep. Until I know what the heck is going on with my insurance, I like this option. I just can't find it on the AMA website, hence my smoke and mirror comments .

here is the video I am talking about........ about 5:10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ9r89tSGS4

Just called the AMA it is called RAMP ( Rider Accidental Medical Plan, she thinks, she wasn't sure) it is BRAND NEW, so it is Not on the website.

260-459-5890 ask for Paul. This is the company that under wrights it. I didn't call. Just passing along info........

Wrongo......The AMA is allowing you to provided equivalent insurance this year (event liability insurance), you don't have to use the AMA policy, but you do have to provide something that is an equivalent policy. Anyone can join National Motorsports and buy the same insurance if they wish to do so. Randy Harden is the man their.

I called the number, got Pauls voicemail. It is a number for KK Insurance. I believe they have handled the tracks insurance for years for the AMA. I find it hard to believe that they would offer any "full medical" type plan for the racers on the track. Without them going to underwriting, etc. I can not imagine any of the carriers I am aware of doing that....and the premium would be huge!

Now, what I can see is one of the supplemental carriers, Aflac, Allstate, Colonial, Transamerica, whomever, offering an accident plan for the racers. It would be an indemnity plan that would pay flat amounts for services, broken bones, surgical benefits, hospitalization, etc. But with that......and selling it to racers, the rates would be jacked up also.

Wrongo......The AMA is allowing you to provided equivalent insurance this year (event liability insurance), you don't have to use the AMA policy, but you do have to provide something that is an equivalent policy. Anyone can join National Motorsports and buy the same insurance if they wish to do so. Randy Harden is the man their.

Well that is good news... I guess... still puzzled on why it cost so much in the past? Yes the past is gone but, you can not fix an issue until you understand the true root cause (I'm a Quality Manager so I deal with Root cause every day) once you find the smoking gun, so to speak. Then you can put in a corrective action. Without proof it kinda feels like a Band-Aid.
Look, I hope they have seen the error in their ways, I would love to be a proud AMA member again. Problem is that darn truth of the past.

Big wish #2, Break up the NPG and the coercion with the monopoly that is MX Sports. I hate to use the word "union" but the AMA needs to represent the riders as a union represents their members. Cant play both company and employees side of the field.
If you want to get all worked up like yours truly, Do a little search on the NPG (National MX Promoters Group). These are the guys that decide where the Pro nationals will be run. And they play a LARGE role on an amateur level as well. Can you guess who it is run by? A little lady named... Coombs... Now, where have I heard that name before????
Who does the track prep at LL? The guys from Muddy Creek. Sure its a nice track but...
Southwick has long had an issue with the NPG, What happened to their National? Oh yeah, it was moved to a spot in Indiana... Wonder who owns that place?
The NPG also gave us the Utah national... Pala... Lake Elsinore... All the while, good solid tracks were left to wither on the vine.

Oh, cant forget the backyard. Kenworthy's... Sure it was underwater but it was also one of, if not the highest attended (spectators) national for the entire life of the event... EVERYONE knows Don did not like to share the $$$ with anyone let alone the NPG. bam, its gone.

I heard that Duke Fitch is the one that did the Kenworthy National in. He never liked Don nor the track, and thought it was too much of a SX track built on flat ground with no elevation changes. And that is why they pulled Troy.

John is much closer to a home run than Marc. It really came down to a personality conflict. Sure, the flooding didn't help. I remember standing on the levee in July thinking to myself: "Well ain't that a bitch...". Then standing on the same levee in September thinking "now THAT is a bitch..."

Don was heavily involved in NPG for years, lobbying for a more even playing field WRT MX Sports. We had multiple instances where MX Sports and / Or AMA Pro Racing wanted specific improvements to the facility in writing. We made the improvements at a significant financial investment AND provided outside sponsors and asked, simply, for a 2 or 3 year contract for a National. We were awarded 1 year contracts. Duke and Don just didn't play well.

John is much closer to a home run than Marc. It really came down to a personality conflict. Sure, the flooding didn't help. I remember standing on the levee in July thinking to myself: "Well ain't that a bitch...". Then standing on the same levee in September thinking "now THAT is a bitch..."

Don was heavily involved in NPG for years, lobbying for a more even playing field WRT MX Sports. We had multiple instances where MX Sports and / Or AMA Pro Racing wanted specific improvements to the facility in writing. We made the improvements at a significant financial investment AND provided outside sponsors and asked, simply, for a 2 or 3 year contract for a National. We were awarded 1 year contracts. Duke and Don just didn't play well.

Bingo. That's the story that Don always told my Dad. But, the flood was like the nail in the coffin.

Would be extraordinarily cool to have a Promotor with Dons notoriety and a track like Kenworthys in the Dayton-Springfield area for OMA-AMA. The missing link???

Back