San Diego SX Round 6

It depends...I would think if it was a serious break than racing would be a no go...but each of or most of your vertebrae have what I believe is called spinoid processes...which when fractured or broken is no threat to spinal injury. Correct me if I am wrong...but that's my guess.

You are correct on the spinous processes Jarrett, not that big of a deal if that's what he broke. Broke mine at Red Bud one year.

In my crash at Spring Creek last year, I broke off 3 of them on the right side. L2, L3 & L4 The fragments pose no threat to the cord unless pushed about by blunt trauma. But it was blunt trauma that broke them in the first place.....

Spinous process is kind of a big deal....the bone could be sharp and splintered. Soft tissue is no match for a floating splintered broken bone.

I wouldn't be risking lining up to the gate with a spinous process break close to my spinal cord.......

Of course this stuff could all be hairlined fractured! Collarbone too......who knows. But if he has clean breaks....not sure how you can race on that. Blocking out pain.....seems not possible. Maybe i'm a wuss.

Not a wuss Georgie, just smart and of course not racing for a SX championship. That being said I think I'd be off the bike and track till healed. We all agree this guy is one of the toughest cats to throw a leg over the bike, but in my opinion not worth it. Too much to lose without a guanteed payoff. Different if it was like Nascar and he could start do a lap and get points or have a rider finish for the points.
I guess if it were me I wouldn't be in that position because I'd have hung it up a few years back and be running a race team instead. Hope he makes the right choice for him and his family. Good Luck CR22!

Yes I'm old and it happened 15 years ago but when I ran the US off-road championship (Mickey Thompson) they actually had a rule for a sub rider. The series was 11 events and you could have someone ride for you at 2 events in case of injury. It cost me the championship to spud Walters. He missed two races and had Dr. D ride for him. The good Dr. Waxed me in Houston and Minnesota and I lost the series by 7 points. I HATED THE RULE. I could see it coming back for SX. Just to peak interest

Reed posted this recently... image.jpg

Back