Accident Policies

I need to get a better understanding of all this stuff. I have insurance through work but no really nothing about my policy, all I do know is that I never get anything for free. I get hurt, it costs me $$. Hell, it cost me $20 every 3 months just to go see the doctor for a refill on my perscription, hello! I have been taking this medicine for three years now, you really need to see if Im still doing ok.... What a joke, I understand the rules and regulations, but its all about that $20 to them, whether they want to admit that or not.

Might be selvish, but Id be more than willing to break my finger for a week off work and 5 grand.

If you're gullible enough to believe that Insurance Co. profits are created by un-used premiums then you don't understand liability.... and there's really nothing more I care to add.

Colonial has an exclusion that reads: riding in or driving any motor-driven vehicle in a race, stunt show or speed test.

Again, Please point me to the policy that includes me, on my bike at a race track.....

To the folks gloating their products.....spill it, give us the name of this wonderful carrier.

I dont care what you think you have read or what that policy says. All I can tell you is I specifically asked if I would be covered riding or racing my dirt bike and I was told yes. It has paid out to me 5600 for my broken wrist per the paperwork I was provided with at signing up my company for me and my employees. It also paid my 3300 for a broken leg 6 months after I signed up, both of which were due to riding my dirt bike. On top of that I have received 300 2 years in a row for office visits for the kids and another 150 for office visits this year. So all in total I have gotten aprox $9600 in 2.5 years paying $12 a month totaling about $360. You do the math.
Math says ....they need to go after some property owners to square up on your usage.

Maybe you are looking at a different Allstate policy than what I have for my company?
Bet you didn't even look....see the above statement about you don't care what the policy says.....because your underwriters says....

And everyone knows ALL insurance companies chase who ever they can at any time to reduce their losses.
Only if they feel there may be liability. By YOU having the policy could place liability on EVERYONE that you come in contact with. Think about it.
My underwriter, the underwriter that sold me my policy both said that these policies by themselves make them money. The reason they state is MOST people who purchase it dont use it.
Well then!....I've got some beautiful water-front land in Florida...

But Im sure what you read on the internet is more accurate than a true life experience of mine and the reports of others who sell and actually use it and benefit from it. So for those of you who want to listen to nay sayers and bah humbuggers can revel in the glory of ignorant bliss while those who want to listen to the people who actually USE it can benefit from it......guilt free.
Never disputed that you've gotten money out of the policy .......

The company i worked for just got us setup with aflac, in the past we had aflac and they wouldn't cover a racing accident. The new policy we have with Aflac however does cover me riding/racing. The only restriction it really has is if you are operating a vehicle/bike in an event or not if you are under the influence of a controlled substance. Also if you are participating in something illegal they will not cover you either. I double checked with our rep and he confirmed this and showed it to me in our policy.

Hey John250...what is it you do for a living? Oh year Insurance....I think I will take the word of the guy who does it for a living. But hey that's just me. This place is like Jr High sometimes...oh wait let me be politically correct and call it "middle school" now before I get yelled at too :)

Most policies in the industry have the racing language in their policies. Some say racing, some say racing for compensation, etc. But, with that being said, if your injured practicing, riding on a practice day etc. your covered. Just my opinion, but I have had a majority of every injury I've had in practice, and not racing. I have never had any claim denied. One time a long time ago, Aflac investigated my accident, because it happened at Dirt Country in practice, the day of a race. Aflac paid the claim.

I know Aflac recently changed some language in their policy, and usually all these carriers change when a competitor changes. Aflac policies pay reduced amounts on spouse and children for example though, and Allstate pays same amounts on children.

The Colonial policy I mentioned above states "racing". I spoke with my regional rep from Colonial, and accidents on motorcycles are covered. Just not if your actually in a race.

Hey John250...what is it you do for a living? Oh year Insurance....I think I will take the word of the guy who does it for a living. But hey that's just me. This place is like Jr High sometimes...oh wait let me be politically correct and call it "middle school" now before I get yelled at too :)

I regress.....

Most policies in the industry have the racing language in their policies. Some say racing, some say racing for compensation, etc. But, with that being said, if your injured practicing, riding on a practice day etc. your covered. Just my opinion, but I have had a majority of every injury I've had in practice, and not racing. I have never had any claim denied. One time a long time ago, Aflac investigated my accident, because it happened at Dirt Country in practice, the day of a race. Aflac paid the claim.

I know Aflac recently changed some language in their policy, and usually all these carriers change when a competitor changes. Aflac policies pay reduced amounts on spouse and children for example though, and Allstate pays same amounts on children.

The Colonial policy I mentioned above states "racing". I spoke with my regional rep from Colonial, and accidents on motorcycles are covered. Just not if your actually in a race.

Thank you

I still have a hard time trusting the "word" of someone that doesn't know the difference between YOUR and YOU'RE. I guess I'm just old and crabby but I cannot get past that and every time I read people using that poor grammar I immediately shift to "they don't know anything" mode.

I still have a hard time trusting the "word" of someone that doesn't know the difference between YOUR and YOU'RE. I guess I'm just old and crabby but I cannot get past that.

Damn.......you're harsh! Guess I need to proof read!!

Please explain how (in these policies) the Agent is the go between. And how they have the abilityto influence the information given to the COMPANY when submitting the claim. That’s why folks can collect. Because the agent / underwriter has influenced the information.

But, if you have a MAJOR ACCIDENT and get picked-up byLife-Flight or an ambulance at a Race Track the agent is powerless to influence the information. You then will fall back onto what you agreed to in WRITING. And that writing often states No, tracks, No racing, No organized event.

And most everything we do could be considered “an organized event”

I’m not in the insurance industry. But I am good friends with a Senior Risk Manager for Liberty Mutual.
His job is to keep an eye on the agents and underwriters

Sorry, it's the cold, harsh truth. It's one thing if "ur" texting or something, but it's another thing to be talking business to prospective customers. If your're not going to have enough attention to detail to type English correctly, how do I trust you putting together a policy for me?

At least now we know these policies have an exclusion for racing. And if you collect
based on an injury incurred while racing it's fraud. Whether your agent helped
you or not, or you got away with it or not, it's still fraud.

Agent has no influence with underwriting at all usually. Claims are filed, and claims are paid. In some extreme cases, we can go back to the carrier and have something reconsidered. But it is usually black and white from the claim forms.

Agent has no influence with underwriting at all usually. Claims are filed, and claims are paid. In some extreme cases, we can go back to the carrier and have something reconsidered. But it is usually black and white from the claim forms.
That's a lot of back and forth....so is it "No,at all" or is it "usually"? If not "at all" then what does this mean? In some extreme cases, we can go back to the carrier and have something reconsidered.

You just claimed you can't ?????

....or can you????

Here is Colonial's "black & white".....
But hey....I'm not in insurance.

Maybe insurance folks read this different than I do.
What I do know is that the lawyers that the COMPANY has on retainer have written this and they know exactly what it says and how to apply it to the information given, or collected.

WHAT IS NOT COVERED BY THISPOLICY We will not pay benefits for losses thatare caused by or are the result of any covered person’s: • operating, learningto operate, serving as a crew member of or jumping, parachuting, or fallingfrom any aircraft or hot air balloon, including those which are notmotor-driven. • engaging in hang-gliding, bungee jumping, parachuting,sailgliding, parasailing, or parakiting. • participating or attempting toparticipate in an illegal activity and/or being incarcerated in a penalinstitution. • riding in or driving any motor-driven vehicle in a race, stunt show or speed test. •practicing for or participating in any semi-professional or professionalcompetitive athletic contests for which any type of compensation orremuneration is received. • having any sickness or declining process caused bya sickness, including physical or mental infirmity. We also will not paybenefits to diagnose or treat the sickness. Sickness means any illness,infection, disease or any other abnormal physical condition which is not causedby an injury. • committing or trying to commit suicide or his injuring himselfintentionally, whether he is sane or not. • being exposed to war or any act ofwar, declared or undeclared, or serving in the armed forces of any country or authority.
<o:p

And since I'm not in the business, please expound on the term "speed test". How would a "speed test" be defined by lawyers and insurance folks?
</o

Marc, I have a good idea......just don't purchase a accident policy. Those that are comfortable with the plan, and what it pays can purchase them. Number one cause of bankruptcy in the United States is Medical Bankruptcy. Supplemental policies can keep this from happening to them.

I have had a client in Columbus, just last year get hit by a car riding his bicycle to work. His accident policy paid him in excess of $12,000. This helped him with his deductible, and many other out of pocket expenses caused from the result of that accident.

Also had a gentleman's son pass from a street bike accident last year. He had no life insurance. The family was very happy to find out that they had some accidental life insurance included with their accident policy that help bury their son.

let go dude.jpg

Marc, I have a good idea......just don't purchase a accident policy. Those that are comfortable with the plan, and what it pays can purchase them. Number one cause of bankruptcy in the United States is Medical Bankruptcy. Supplemental policies can keep this from happening to them.

I have had a client in Columbus, just last year get hit by a car riding his bicycle to work. His accident policy paid him in excess of $12,000. This helped him with his deductible, and many other out of pocket expenses caused from the result of that accident.

Also had a gentleman's son pass from a street bike accident last year. He had no life insurance. The family was very happy to find out that they had some accidental life insurance included with their accident policy that help bury their son.

So rather than answer my REAL questions about a product you are trying to sell, you suggest to NOT get one? .....and then go on to ramble about past historical events where people have needed it?
That's an insurance "hook" if I've ever heard one.

Give us some information on what was paid to anyone that has been picked-up by LifeFlight from a Racetrack.

I have accident insurance for my crew. It's an employer paid benefit. I know what's in my policy.
Prior to what I have now, I had the Duck. So I'm very familiar with them too.

Still waiting to see some "black & white" that includes Motocross Bikes at a Race track
I have been asked by several people about the availability of accident policies to cover them riding their motocross bikes.

Back