Pledge of Allegiance on Race Day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strouble

PR Addict
I recited the Pledge of Allegiance in school, I am sure many of you have also. They don't have that in schools anymore.

With deciding to commit to our local MX Scene for three more years, getting a bike, and all the open doors that have been opening up for me; I want to look back on the time spent with you folks with a glad heart knowing we did things right.

Also, I am a countrymen, I reckon most of you are too. It's no surprise that as a country, the value placed on our founding principles and morals is eroding.

I love when the National Anthem is played, and then when it is finished; hearing the roar of the first Moto fire up their engines. In an effort to live out the values, principles, and morals this country used to stand so passionately for; I have a suggestion.

A new standard operating procedure in the order of riders meeting after practice, get Moto 1 lined up, Prayer, Pledge of Allegiance, and then the National Anthem.

What do you think?

Also a new Insider will be posted tomorrow titled "Inside the Insiders." Early next week will be one titled "State of the Roost Address: Ohio Motocross" and then one late next week in regards to Opening Day.

Thank you!

I agree with the idea for sure.. some kids may never even know what the pledge of allegiance is..

Had some really good feedback on FB. It would be nice to hear some more responses on here from folks. I am sure some think this is weird. In the end, if I get the OK, I believe it would prove out to be a good thing...and why not...it takes a whopping 15 seconds to recite and it is part of who we are or should be.

The National Anthem is enough for a race day. My kids recite the pledge in school every day. If your school doesn't, take it up with the superintendent or the principal. I think it should be mandatory in schools, but not at a motocross event. Prayer? Not my thing.

I personally would like to see the prayer and pledge before moto one . Some tracks do a chapel service before first practice, nice start to a day.
One of my fondest memories of racing was saying a prayer over the loudspeaker for Tim at scenic before moto one many years ago.

The National Anthem is enough for a race day. My kids recite the pledge in school every day. If your school doesn't, take it up with the superintendent or the principal. I think it should be mandatory in schools, but not at a motocross event. Prayer? Not my thing.

I tend to agree. The national anthem followed by the roar of engines, that feels like a race environment. Pledge of allegiance followed by roar of engines, not so much!

How about a prayer after the riders' meeting for those that wish to participate, not necessarily over the loudspeaker? I do appreciate the idea of bringing some nationalistic pride to such an awesome event as a motocross race though.

Nothing wrong with a prayer before the races. Every NASCAR race I have ever gone to has a prayer before the races. This country was built on the foundation of God. Perhaps if we all took a second or two to say a prayer, this country would not be going to hell. I am not a really religious person, but believe in God, and think there is nothing wrong with taking two minutes and do both. Perhaps some parents could teach their kids how to stand still and respect all three for 5 minutes.

I don't have children...maybe someday...gotta have a wife first, thats a long shot for now. I was made aware today that some schools still do recite the Pledge of Allegiance and some don't due to a small minority of folks that don't want it. We seem to be cowering to the minority vote on things these days. One "Nay" can over rule many "Yay" in these current times...not in every case but it happens. Obviously the majority is not always right either, but in most cases they are. Thank you for your honesty.

I personally would like to see the prayer and pledge before moto one . Some tracks do a chapel service before first practice, nice start to a day.
One of my fondest memories of racing was saying a prayer over the loudspeaker for Tim at scenic before moto one many years ago.

I hold a Bible Service before just about every motocross race. Some races will have them during intermission this year and some before practice, just depends on the day. I am fortunate that track owners allow me to do this. I don't force it on anyone, it is announced a few times and then come as you are if you want too.

I tend to agree. The national anthem followed by the roar of engines, that feels like a race environment. Pledge of allegiance followed by roar of engines, not so much!

We are forgetting the order of things I suggested...The National Anthem is the last in the order before the roar of the engines.

How about a prayer after the riders' meeting for those that wish to participate, not necessarily over the loudspeaker? I do appreciate the idea of bringing some nationalistic pride to such an awesome event as a motocross race though.

We had prayer at the end of riders meeting at every race last year...not one person ever opposed it. I used to do it over the loud speaker but pulled it back to the riders meeting. Your right freeh, it's about who we are as a people, I am glad you see that.

Nothing wrong with a prayer before the races. Every NASCAR race I have ever gone to has a prayer before the races. This country was built on the foundation of God. Perhaps if we all took a second or two to say a prayer, this country would not be going to hell. I am not a really religious person, but believe in God, and think there is nothing wrong with taking two minutes and do both. Perhaps some parents could teach their kids how to stand still and respect all three for 5 minutes.

The time period between practice and the first moto is being looked at for revision to make things smoother and better. It can go in the order following practice...Call riders meeting after practice and start within 5 minutes after practice. Open up with Prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance over the loud speaker or just to the riders...then down to business. Once the riders meeting is finished, call up the first three motos. Line up moto 1 and play the National Anthem. It can be configured a few different ways that will work...but the National Anthem last. I tend to gravitate towards Prayer, then the Pledge of Allegiance, then the National Anthem after Moto 1 is lined up. All three right in a row since they are relative to each other. Prayer and Pledge of Allegiance would take most at 2 minutes...then the National Anthem and then the sound we all love.

This is my stance...we realize the downfall in American Spirit, the erosion of our founding principles and morals in our society as a whole. We all tend to get urked by these things, no doubt. BUT what are we actually doing about it? We can do something in a variety of ways...like parents raising children with the knowledge and honor of these things. I have heard many times that it is up to my generation to do something about it...I agree...BUT I further contest that is up to every single person to play their part...big or small. This is a small way we can do something.

I totally understand our passion for riding being a therapy or stress reliever or release of sorts from the daily grind and stresses of life. BUT what I don't like is when we use riding as a scape goat and pay no mind to the actual "State of Our Union" while going riding. That is what this is about, to bring and show some American Unity as a people. We really should be very thankful to ride/race. People give their lives to uphold our freedom and we are struggling with just paying honor in a mere few moments on race day. We can keep the status quo no problem, BUT with the addition of the Pledge of Allegiance and a restructured format in the time frame between practice and racing; we can continue to uphold ourselves as Americans united for each other and the heritage and history of our nation.

I spoke with folks on FB and at Kames today...Parents, young adults and kids. This is the first time I have met any real resistance. Most every person said yes without hesitation, some thought about it for seconds and then said yes. As for prayer, well, our country was founded upon faith, and ultimately upon the Bible. The Presidents swear in on the Bible and witness's in the court of law swear in on the Bible..."To tell the truth, the whole truth, so help me God." Prayer is surely not going to hurt anything, would you rather have folks praying for the riders and people or not at all?

Our founding fathers were praying men and men who sought to honor God...look how God used them in the formation of our country...but now, God is being taken out of society.

Imagine if we posed this discussion to Georger Washington, or Benjamin Franklin, or Abraham Lincoln...would they even ask the question...they would probably just do it as if it were expected. Imagine if they came back today...what would they say to us? I think they would be ashamed of our "State of the Union" as a whole and inform or instruct us to become what they would deifine as "American Citizens."

It may seem weird at first, but I wholeheartedly believe it would do much good. Imagine the conversations that could take place with parents teaching their children and just the things this can represent? It will do much good for us at the cost of few or several minutes. I say it is well worth it.

If I ultimately get told "No", then so be it. I believe it is in our reasonable service to pay honor, tribute, and respect to our Liberty and the sacrifices made to uphold and defend our Liberty and Freedom. Then we can go racing! Brap!

The Pledge of Allegiance...

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

That took 10 seconds to read slowly...by the time its is presented and spoken on race day...maybe 30 seconds...prayer has been usually less than a minute. The National Anthem sang by Leann Rimes takes 2 minutes and 2 seconds...so your talking a max of 4 minutes. 4 minutes of American tribute and honor after a more efficient time period between practice and racing sounds like the right thing to do. It surely won't cause any harm and will produce good.

2 shout outs to the "Good ol' US of A" and only 1 to "the MAN above"? Don't be surprised if HE questions where your "alliegence" really is! That statement isn't meant to be sarcastic. I'm very religious. If you want to pray for your personal safety and well being, you should. But God could care less who wins a motocross/Nascar race, Grammy, Oscar, etc. And if you think He is "blessing" this nation and all it's crack head leaders then you have clearly never read his book.

Look at Trey Canard, he comes across to me as the most religious god thanking pro out there. He can't make it 3 races with out getting messed up. Heck even bikes fall out of the sky on top of him through no fault of his own. Don't get me wrong say a prayer if it makes you feel better but it's pretty clear all it's doing is make you FEEL better.

We seem to be cowering to the minority vote on things these days. One "Nay" can over rule many "Yay" in these current times...

I believe you have answered your own question...

If the owner and or promoter wants to do the prayer, pledge, anthem then do it.
The people that don't believe or care will simply not participate.
The rest of us will appreciate the opportunity to say thanks.

Good stuff John and I agree my friend. Nothing wrong with either. Only good can from it if anything. I as well am not typically an openly religious person or countryman as I protect myself from folks opposing opions that way. The man in the basement can tend to get a better grasp of me if I do it seems. 'Tis the way me and the man upstairs have decided I should handle things.

Do what you feel is best Jarrett and what is driving you. You have a burning desire inside and if this is the way to let it out, so be it. Heck, the folks I may think less of (used in my failure for a better word than the one I had there :() haven't an issue telling us their views, we might as well join them in that respect, eh? I agree that we seem to value the minority opinion too much these days . I understand we have to be aware of all views and put the proper amount of value in them, but as the minority does with the majority, we do not have to go with the minroities way way of thinking and not do what we feel strongly about...do we?

Nonetheless, see you all at the races and may we do our best with what we all agree to be the best sport on earth... :)

We seem to be cowering to the minority vote on things these days. One "Nay" can over rule many "Yay" in these current times...

The biggest problem in our country now. Regardless of what your views the reason our country started was to leave an over powering government that looked out for itself. We won our independence because we fought as a group doing what we thought was best for everyone. We thrived and became a world power doing what was best for the country as a whole. Now we are being torn apart worrying about the rights and beliefs of the individual instead of whats best for the country as a whole. No more halloween parties in school because 1 or 2 parents think it isnt right so NO kids get to enjoy it?

The pledge of allegiance isnt about God.....its about believing in our nation, giving our nation respect and believing in its integrity. If you cant do that then get the eff out. So what if a few percent of people dont believe in a god. Shut up and respect the country that has given you freedoms many parts of the world doesnt have. Let our children learn that in school by saying the pledge every day.

In personally think it's all a great idea. Shows class. Most of your tracks down south do it. Besides, we end up missing church during the summer when we go racing, and it's a great little service.

The pledge of allegiance isnt about God.....its about believing in our nation, giving our nation respect and believing in its integrity. If you cant do that then get the eff out. So what if a few percent of people dont believe in a god. Shut up and respect the country that has given you freedoms many parts of the world doesnt have. Let our children learn that in school by saying the pledge every day.

The original PoA didn't even have a reference to god in it, even thought it was written by a minister. The 'under god' line was added in the 50's during the McCarthy red scare period.

Go for it Jarret , people will always oppose in one way or another, the younger generation could use a little more patriotism !!

Look at Trey Canard, he comes across to me as the most religious god thanking pro out there. He can't make it 3 races with out getting messed up. Heck even bikes fall out of the sky on top of him through no fault of his own. Don't get me wrong say a prayer if it makes you feel better but it's pretty clear all it's doing is make you FEEL better.

Hard to argue with that one! I'd say there has to be god-involvement with Honda resigning all his contracts with him always being busted up. That's a miracle in itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back