Pledge of Allegiance on Race Day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at Trey Canard, he comes across to me as the most religious god thanking pro out there. He can't make it 3 races with out getting messed up. Heck even bikes fall out of the sky on top of him through no fault of his own. Don't get me wrong say a prayer if it makes you feel better but it's pretty clear all it's doing is make you FEEL better.

Hard to argue with that one! I'd say there has to be god-involvement with Honda resigning all his contracts with him always being busted up. That's a miracle in itself.

No, not really. If you ask me, he easily could have been dead or permanently parilized a few times in being landed on, etc. I have friends that encountered much less and have paid the ultimate price there. Without his strong beliefs, I am certain he would have quit a long time ago...not saying that still isn't just around the corner though. Believing in a higher being doesn't guarantee you're not going to get hurt and/or face tragedy. You still have the natural born earthly ability to make bad decisions...

I love the National Anthem. During the 4 tours to Iraq and Afghanistan that my son has proudly served, I have found myself with the tears rolling down my face.. thinking about him, his unit and everyone serving while the National Anthem is going on.. There have only been a few times in registration where something has gone wrong with a printer or something, that I didn't take the moment. You will see sign up come to a grinding halt when that music plays... If you have an emergency, we help.. but if you just want a running order for a quarter, you are going to wait! I have "shhh'd" MANY kids who are talking during it, including track staff! I think THAT is where we start. (I have to say this is NEVER the case for my registration staff, they respect how I feel and I appreciate that so much)

One day, some "smart-mouthed young kid" told me "he didn't have to be quiet". I looked at him (and his dad at that point) and said:

"You are right, you don't have to be quiet, but next time you want to talk about your smart phone or your butt rash, please go away from me. I am thinking about my son in Iraq right now. He is giving 24/7, I can't imagine you can't give 3 minutes of silence."

That "young man" came to me later and told me that he never thought about that song like that.. It was just words to him.. he was truly sorry and to this day we talk all the time at the races and he always asks me about Rob. A teachable moment? Yes. Do I think we need the Pledge at the races? No.

I am sure that surprises many of you, that I don't endorse it. We are there to provide a race program and we do honor our country with the national anthem - That is enough. If you want kids to learn about it, become a teacher, mentor, or parent. We need to provide a quality race program and when we have the opportunities like above, then teach. Next National Anthem, look around... see someone talking? Maybe take a minute to pull them aside and have a conversation about what it means. You will see change happening before your very eyes..

Connie

I am sure that surprises many of you, that I don't endorse it. We are there to provide a race program and we do honor our country with the national anthem - That is enough. If you want kids to learn about it, become a teacher, mentor, or parent. We need to provide a quality race program and when we have the opportunities like above, then teach. Next National Anthem, look around... see someone talking? Maybe take a minute to pull them aside and have a conversation about what it means. You will see change happening before your very eyes..

Connie

No, not surprised. You sound like the voice of reason. Thanks.

One thing about the national anthem I'd like to see. Sing it the way it was written,
or play it with no words and a decent orchestra. Pop singer histrionics or Hendrix
guitar treatments are fine in their place as some weird art but not when we are
all facing the flag and paying respect.

I love the National Anthem. During the 4 tours to Iraq and Afghanistan that my son has proudly served, I have found myself with the tears rolling down my face.. thinking about him, his unit and everyone serving while the National Anthem is going on.. There have only been a few times in registration where something has gone wrong with a printer or something, that I didn't take the moment. You will see sign up come to a grinding halt when that music plays... If you have an emergency, we help.. but if you just want a running order for a quarter, you are going to wait! I have "shhh'd" MANY kids who are talking during it, including track staff! I think THAT is where we start. (I have to say this is NEVER the case for my registration staff, they respect how I feel and I appreciate that so much)

One day, some "smart-mouthed young kid" told me "he didn't have to be quiet". I looked at him (and his dad at that point) and said:

"You are right, you don't have to be quiet, but next time you want to talk about your smart phone or your butt rash, please go away from me. I am thinking about my son in Iraq right now. He is giving 24/7, I can't imagine you can't give 3 minutes of silence."

That "young man" came to me later and told me that he never thought about that song like that.. It was just words to him.. he was truly sorry and to this day we talk all the time at the races and he always asks me about Rob. A teachable moment? Yes. Do I think we need the Pledge at the races? No.

Connie

Great story, good move on your part. Many people dont show others that we need to have that respect!

So why is the short Pledge which shows respect for the SYMBOL of our country any less important to you or any of us who are patriots than the National anthem ? They both stand for and remind us of what we as a country have endured to keep our freedoms.

She never said it wasn't important. You did.
She gave a nice story and a solid explanation.....you didn't accept it and put words in her mouth.

Come on Hershey... I KNOW that YOU KNOW I wasn't saying that one was any less important than the other. This is how I feel as a military mom and it is my perspective that I wanted to share.

Connie

No comprehension problem at all, do you? I asked WHY it wasnt as important as the National Anthem. Not why does she think we shouldnt.

I think we should incorporate the two, I wonder if everyone could recite the pledge during the national anthem? Is that like patting your head and rubbing your belly in a circle at the same time?

And I appreciate your perspective my question was solely to understand that perspective and not meant as an insult as Sharc would like to think. Maybe if I had a chance to understand then it would my perspective on the topic. Obviously I do not expect an answer and would hold no negative feelings if you choose not to answer. It certainly wasn't my intention to upset anyone with my response .

And I appreciate your perspective my question was solely to understand that perspective and not meant as an insult as Sharc would like to think. Maybe if I had a chance to understand then it would my perspective on the topic. Obviously I do not expect an answer and would hold no negative feelings if you choose not to answer. It certainly wasn't my intention to upset anyone with my response .
Now you verbalize that you think you know what I'm thinking ????? WTF man, give it a rest.
Please Don't speak for me, and don't act like you know what I'm thinking or what I'm trying to convey. Because you don't.

We’ve been repeating this pledge since grade school, but have you ever taken the time to analyze what each part truly means?
The Boy Scouts have, and below you’ll find their translation for each part of the Pledge.

I pledge allegiance… you promise to be loyal
to the Flag… to the symbol of your country
of the United States of America… a nation of 50 states and several territories, each with certain rights of its own
and to the Republic… a country where the people elect representatives from among themselves to make laws for everyone
for which it stands,… the flag represents the values of our form of government, in which everyone is equal under the law
one Nation under God,… a country formed under God whose people are free to believe as they wish
indivisible,… the nation cannot be split into parts
with liberty and justice… with freedom and a system of law
for all… for every person in the nation, regardless of their differences

My opinion is no that shouldn't be part of a race day format.
National Anthem is great. I can appreciate the words, calm my nerves, and think about enjoying the freedoms I have everyday.

Anything extra should be able to be done at one's own descretion, but not in a place to make the people that don't believe/want to participate feel awkward for not joining. Praying/pledging over the loudspeaker would be ok by me, cause I can simply just choose not to participate, but in a riders meeting it's not as easy of a feeling. I don't want to be disrespectful walking away and I don't need to feel like a ferret for not bowing my head while a group of people around me are praying.
I know I have and am certainly grateful to have been given life and I love our country, but I personally don't pledge, pray, give thanks to a god that I don't know exists yet, or do anything in unison forging my beliefs with others. My beliefs are 100% my own and I like to keep it that way.

This response is to jarrett, no one else.
I can respect everyone's opinions, this is mine. I don't need a lecture or response from anyone here on this topic, nor will I respond.

I think we should incorporate the two, I wonder if everyone could recite the pledge during the national anthem? Is that like patting your head and rubbing your belly in a circle at the same time?

I'll pay extra if you can do it all in spoonerisms.

It's a motocross race. If you wanna have patriotic rallies, religious meetings or whatever- that is fine, keep it to yourselves, those of you that yearn to be part of such things.

I do like the National Anthem and watching the flag to reflect, perhaps just because it has been tradition. And, for my own, personal reasons.

Keep in mind that EVERYONE at OMA races is not Christian, religious, or overly patriotic, some of us are simply Americans that like dirt-bikes and jumps 'n shtuff.

Will quads go before the pledge or bikes? JK. I just like a short prayer, the National Anthem then the roar of the engines. I always loved being the first Moto for that very reason. Malvern's recorded Version of the National Anthem is very good. I also enjoyed Z girl and any other that can belt it out.

I pledge allegiance to the flag everyday I pay taxes. Unfortunately I only am forced remember those who have died/or are serving for this country on race days or at sporting events. I should wake up every morning to the national anthem and thank god I live in this nation.

National anthem, small prayer to participate in if you want to and fire em up.

What about our Jewish friends? JK

Again, if its your track, you can do whatever you want. That's part of what makes this the greatest country in the world.

Except Buddhist... they like to rub a fat guys belly. If anyone tried to touch my belly, we are going to have problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back