Can MX be made safer?

Glassy

PR Member
Let me chime in as a 30 some year old that just got back into riding a couple years ago:

I rode BC at their last practice day. There were several jumps that I did not hit including the finish line jump, the uphill double (even though I should have) and I doubled the downhill triple instead of trying to triple it. I still had a blast. At the next practice day at BC I will hit the uphill double if I get a good run out of the corner before it. If not, I wont. Its all up the the rider's ability and knowing how hard they can ride safely. I wouldnt get out on a track if I didnt know where my comfort level was.

Would I want to ride on a track that I where I would hinder the faster riders and cause a crash from not hitting jumps? Absolutely not. But I feel tracks like BC are big enough (and more importantly wide enough) for me to hold my line and the fast riders know how to fly around me with no problems.

For me to go out and try to hit everything at BC would no doubt cause me to crash and be a day ending event. I know that going in and I ride to my ability while still trying to get faster and eventually get better to hit an extra jump here and there WHEN I FEEL COMFORTABLE doing so.

If I would go ride the C track alone I would be bored to death after 5-10 laps.

The key to making tracks safer, in my opinion, is not the size of the jumps but the forgiveness of the landings. When the landings are as peaked as the takeoffs, I am not riding it. I need a little room for error on where my front tire is going to come down. Watching supercross in Indy leaves me wondering how those guys have the timing to nail the peaked landings perfectly on every jump......but they also have thousands of dollars in their suspensions to get away with a mistake or two and they do it for a living. I ride for fun.

Build the jumps as big as you want. Speed or no speed I think the landings need to have a smooth transition with some roll to them so if someone comes up short its not a disaster when they fly over the bars.

ck1racerx

PR Addict
and the cycle starts again...

35+ years of racing and I NEVER complained about any obstacle on ANY track. If I did not think I could do something, I just did not do it. If I did not like a track (and there were plenty) I just did not go back OR. I adapted to the track. Now every Tom, Dick, and Harry is a master track builder that "knows how to make it better".
Go to the races, Have fun, ride within your ability. Give constructive suggestions to the owner / promoter. then do it all again next week.
No matter what. People will get hurt.

SCHAFFERNOCKER

PR Addict
Youngstown has an awesome layout that rides nice is really forgiving. The one peaky double could sneak up on you if you didnt get a good takeoff, but that track is built extremely safe and still has bigger jumps IMO.

honda907

PR Addict
Racing is dangerous. That's a fact.

I haven't raced a certain track close to me for 7 years. When 5-7 guys get seriously hurt and some taken out by chopper on a section every race, that is a problem. It needs to be REMOVED after a couple of bad accidents in one day. We aren't pros anymore, and many won't be. This type of promotion isn't acceptable to me.

I went there this year ( I was told it was changed) and it is great now! The track was great, and except for a hard fall by a mini rider in practice (mud) everyone was fine.

Yes, I personally told the promoter how nice it was because it was good, passable, the best riders won and it was safe!

Problem is, except for their regional there this year, many of the racers in western Pa have quit, due to( you fill in the blank). I am sure injuries have hurt in more ways than the economy.

Hand Promotions took Big Game from out of my all time "Worst Track Ever" in 2011 ( 12 inches of dry tilled topsoil dust ) to one of the safest, great layout and well run track I have been too in a while.

These people need commended. I was concerned but they did great! They Addressed all my concerns and it was a safe day for all. They even had option lines around big obsticles.

No injuries that I saw. I keep tabs on that stuff on my FB pages.

So in closing, I think it's just a cop out to tell us riders to ride within our limits when the track is poorly designed. Racing is just that, and we ALL push harder when racing than practicing. A track that requires professional execution while racing with no margin for error is not for amateur racing

Promoters responsibility is to provide a safe track for ALL participants, remembering that some are beginners with little experience. If your designing a track for pros, your doing an injustice to the industry.

Pros have a place to hoan their skills- the have training facilities for those guys.

rosch726

PR Member
I am 34 and had one of my biggest mistakes a couple years ago. I was one of those guys riding on the chopper. Well at least I was told I was, I don't remember. What stinks it this was a triple I have done for years. I never had issues with it. There was a re-facing done and well I guess that was the issue. Every track I go to I go real easy for laps till comfy. this triple I doubled I don't know how many times that day, till I was ready to triple it. Well first time I did, I woke up in the hospital.

This is like a catch 22....I do agree with people saying it is riders fault. It is, yes. As said we turn the throttle and control what we can do. Track owners as well should look and think, "would everyone be able to do this? Those that try and may come up short, would they be ok?" It's cool to have doubles and triples, but like Glassy said, the landings should look to be slightly forgiving in case someone messes up. John250 made good thoughts as well in his post. If a track wants a huge jump, maybe look into making it like a tabletop. This way someone can clear the whole thing, and some people can land on top and not have to fear landing into the face or casing the jump. If a track wants to have the 110' jump, look into making it a jump people can double easy and single out. Don't make the distance between each jump huge. One of my biggest thoughts is always keep the slower people in mind. As expensive as it is to do ANYTHING anymore, the last we need are medical bills.

To those that miss HH, I am so on your side! So sad those people couldn't manage a historical good place well enough to keep it around. Willard lives close, have them beat the crap out of Detra (spelling) if her family still owns the land and rebuild!!!

jms158bmx

PR Member
Tracks were waaaay more jump filled 15 years ago. Now everyones building these blobs in the middle of straights, so you wreck goin mach10. Theres an epidemic in ohio goin around of vanishing landings. Where are all the landings going? Every track Ive been to this year seems to have the same monster take off to flat, smash your face off landing.

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
Tracks were waaaay more jump filled 15 years ago. Now everyones building these blobs in the middle of straights, so you wreck goin mach10. Theres an epidemic in ohio goin around of vanishing landings. Where are all the landings going? Every track Ive been to this year seems to have the same monster take off to flat, smash your face off landing.

Landings are washing away.....the rain storms are becoming more intense, the dirt is leaving. This is another part of track ownership nobody considers. Replacing that dirt is expensive. I'm planning to keep mine, and no I'm not telling you how I'm doing it. It's time the other tracks start figuring out their own stuff and stop stealing my ideas. Although I'm sure that after I do it, some will start investigating......

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
I am 34 and had one of my biggest mistakes a couple years ago. I was one of those guys riding on the chopper. Well at least I was told I was, I don't remember. What stinks it this was a triple I have done for years. I never had issues with it. There was a re-facing done and well I guess that was the issue. Every track I go to I go real easy for laps till comfy. this triple I doubled I don't know how many times that day, till I was ready to triple it. Well first time I did, I woke up in the hospital.

This is like a catch 22....I do agree with people saying it is riders fault. It is, yes. As said we turn the throttle and control what we can do. Track owners as well should look and think, "would everyone be able to do this? Those that try and may come up short, would they be ok?" It's cool to have doubles and triples, but like Glassy said, the landings should look to be slightly forgiving in case someone messes up. John250 made good thoughts as well in his post. If a track wants a huge jump, maybe look into making it like a tabletop. This way someone can clear the whole thing, and some people can land on top and not have to fear landing into the face or casing the jump. If a track wants to have the 110' jump, look into making it a jump people can double easy and single out. Don't make the distance between each jump huge. One of my biggest thoughts is always keep the slower people in mind. As expensive as it is to do ANYTHING anymore, the last we need are medical bills.

To those that miss HH, I am so on your side! So sad those people couldn't manage a historical good place well enough to keep it around. Willard lives close, have them beat the crap out of Detra (spelling) if her family still owns the land and rebuild!!!

I used to build stuff and think is anyone going to jump this? And sure enough they did. Now I build stuff and think " what could happen here". And after this past weekend, I'm thinking how could I build it in such a way that it won't rain anvils and pitchforks if blue moon comes out. Seriously considering tables across the board, but can't you crash on tables too? I did on of my third degree separated ac joints on a little table, and the other getting crossed up out of a corner. Both were too fast and landed wrong.

Glad to see you kept riding after that crash. Still in the top three worst days in BC history.

jms158bmx

PR Member
Landings are washing away.....the rain storms are becoming more intense, the dirt is leaving. This is another part of track ownership nobody considers. Replacing that dirt is expensive. I'm planning to keep mine, and no I'm not telling you how I'm doing it. It's time the other tracks start figuring out their own stuff and stop stealing my ideas. Although I'm sure that after I do it, some will start investigating......
I have a pretty good idea. I stabilize soil for a living.

LuckyStar64

PR Addict
This is some fairly entertaining reading.... I might as well throw my own $.02 in the pot. And... bear in mind that it's coming from a guy who doesn't race anymore. I DO love the sport. and I DID race at one time, so I should be qualified to comment.

The first thing is-- what makes ya think that anything you need a helmet, boots, gloves, and a neck brace for would be safe? With that said....

The sport has definitely changed alot in the quarter century I've been around it. It seemed more happy go lucky for the weekend warriors back in the day. It brings to mind a Jody's Box article about the professionalism of modern amateurs. But the topic here is safety, and my short answer is that every rider should know their limits. What's safe for a good rider may not be safe at all for a less skilled one. If a track is more than you can handle-- don't ride or race on that particular track. The good news is that there are plenty of tame tracks out there. If you're a Vet rider, C-(crappy), D- (even worse), and ya want to race others with the same afflictions-- there are alot of choices. Also-- there are trails, GP races, hare scrambles, practice only tracks.

So-- while the face of MX has changed for the rider trying to make it to the big league, the availabilty of a track that works for whoever you are as a rider has actually improved tenfold. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I'd prefer a race day with ten classes max. A super fun, safe, and inventive track with an over/under tunnel. An open track after the racing is over with, and a party after the sun goes down. I like fun stuff like relay races, etc... It would be great, but everybody has big ideas about getting to Loretta's the pros, blah, blah, blah... If you're trying to get there-- then ya better not be shy around the 100 footers. --L*64

DelBalso28

PR Addict
We have a great variety of tracks to choose from. Aslong as you're riding within your limits, each track can be ridden safely. Or if you feel too at risk, just mark that track off your list of places you enjoy riding.
Fast guys prefer the gnarly stuff. There's no way they'd want a track filled with tabletops. Therefore they spend more time riding the gnarly tracks.
Everybody loves a challenge. A 100' table may be a nice challenge for a C/whoever rider to work up to and finally conquer after a few track visits, but for an a/b guy, they need their thrill as well, and that table won't cut it.
The best thing for the sport is track variety, and the gnarlier tracks aren't lacking rider turnout for a reason.

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
And to be clear, no jump at BC is 100' anymore. I think the finish line is roughly 85-90' now. I'm fine with it too.

Soil stabilization is tough because you have to disturbed the ground, yet it does help along the trackside areas. Sediment control is the key.

ck1racerx

PR Addict
. Sediment control is the key.
They did it at Kenworthy for years... Plant wheat in the fall over the entire track. Plant life stabilizes the soil against erosion. Then in the spring, till in under and the straw works as a compost which retains moisture and aerates the dirt which help prevent compaction.
Then all you have to do is till it up and water it deep before an event and BAM, Loamy brownies for everyone to enjoy.
No need for sand, sawdust, wood chips or cow poop.
I will say it... I hate tabletops. They are the tofu of the mx track. No flavor and boring as hell by themselves. Put a jump in front of one and suddenly they are part of a double (Or triple according to Emig during supercross) Still have not figured that one out. "Wow, I really nailed that tabletop and I made up huge time" said NO ONE, EVER.