Can MX be made safer?

So it could be like skiing... Double black diamond for pro riders and the bunny hill is for 50's... Would the track designed for the "Transgender" have a sign with Davi Millsaps picture on it since his vagina is still not healed enough to race this year?
lmao to funny!

Alright, lets debate the "rating system"...
1. If its a B rated track are C riders not allowed to ride?
2. Will A and B rated tracks be charged more or less from the insurance companies?
3. Who decides what rating is given? Riders? organization? Promoter? Obama?
4. How often will they be reviewed? Everytime they change anything? What about after disc and watering?

I agree with the lack of structure but that is caused by free enterprise. You can not force a track to have races or split anything. Most tracks that have open practice and no racing, cater to the weekend warrior in blue jeans and a wife beater tank. There are A LOT more of those then most racers think. In most cases those are the people that are keeping the tracks open. These guys are often happy enough with just a "ramp" and a mud hole. How do you put them in a rating system? How deep of a mud hole can you have before the facility have to bumped up to the next slot on the rating scale?

Obama...definitely Obama. You will have to pay to be rated, and if you don't adhere to the newly implemented rating system you will be fined.

I just liked the idea, to give people an idea of where to ride and what they can expect and feel comfortable with. If done right I could see it doing positive things for people that are learning to be a part of the sport.

You just described my everyday outfit! Blue jeans and a wife beater, boots and hat too! I would say flat billed, sideways turned hat, Fox shirt, ear ring bling, big lifted diesel truck with racing number on rear window.

Glad you guys like the idea of the rating system, and governing the "C" riders. I'd just say that any double jumps longer than (?), w?o a "safety" landing isn't "C" rider material. Maybe a table (?) feet long too. Also-- excuse my ignorance regarding "Loretta's", but if they have a "C" class, I'd take that out of it. That would be an incentive for riders to move up to "B". In road racing, you're only a beginner for a few races, then you get moved up to Novice. The beginners are always wearing embarassing as hell orange vests!

And no-- not that "C" riders aren't allowed on the the "B" rated tracks, just govern what they can do on them is all.

What's wrong with that helmet? Looks sweet! My Shoei is plain white b/c I couldn't afford graphics! The white ones are the same only alot less chips. --L*64

You cant really regulate jump length, because it could vary based on soil moisture, dirt, straight or corner before it, take off trajectory........lots of variables.........not that easy.

You put too much thought into it, if you make the double...table or what ever X feet long then thats the length of the jump. Geez

Fart noises

ok dufus. If you change the run up to it, the jump length can be different yet more or less difficult based on all of the factors above.

You know... There has been a safety coordinator / inspector for Supercross for years... I know this because my uncle Joe Safreed was this person. He had two jobs, 1. Inspect each track, identify dangerous designs to both rider and spectators, and make sure these flaws / issues are correct before competition begins. 2. Once practice begins, identify riders that where not up to speed and or created a danger to himself, other riders, or spectators and remove them from the competition.
The fact that the AMA and other sanctioning organizations do not do this for local races has ALAWAYS been my biggest issue. Said organization SHOULD be sending representatives to each and EVERY sanctioned event to do the very thing. That person SHOULD have the authority to demand changes to the tracks including obstacle placement, shape and prep. They MUST also be able to evaluate a riders ability to determine safety and proper classification to ensure fairness.
To do this in the most economical manner possible, the organization SHOULD have a training program in place for ALL referees. Each race must have a ref present at every event already. Why not give that person the proper training and authority?
This one person can be the answer. Just think, no more complaining about sandbaggers. No more guess work about track prep and people complaining about it. PLUS. If it help prevent one tragedy that we seen at Ironman. I think we all would consider it a huge success.

You make that sound easy... Your uncle did it for what...one track a week for a 3 months a year roughly and a hundred or so riders that are all "supposed" to be in the same "class/skill level"? Not saying the idea doesn't have some merit, just that it seems to be a taller order than you make it seem... Edumacate me on the simplicity Mr. Devil's Advocate on most topics. ;)

Happy to Scoob my boy...
Yes, Joe's job was made easier by the fact he was not deciding "A", "B", or "C" and only dealing with Pro's. But you would be amazed how many guys would show up wanting to race at a pro supercross. It was nearly a weekly occurrence that Jim Bob in a flannel shirt would drag an 8 year old P.O.S. out of a truck and want to ride. It was easy to deal with those guys by simply telling them you don't have a license or experience. But then you had the slow "A' riders that in their mind, they where fast enough. Its a tuff job to tell someone "you cant do it because your not good enough" (Well I have been told it is tuff, I find it pretty easy to tell someone they suck.) This all led to the "earning" your license though other races like Arenacross and amateur championships. "The road to Supercross' crap we all hear.
If the AMA or other organizations, would create a class where referees could be properly trained on talent and safety, this would level the playing field for the participants and the promoters. The promoter is already paying a guy to act as the ref. Often times (in the past) this was the guy who had a child that raced and he was coming to the race anyway, or it was the job you gave to the "member" of your club that you did not like or was the last drunk in the corner during your meetings. Either way they did not, and in my opinion, still do not, have the mindset of what best for the rider.
I am not attacking anyone and I want to thank anyone and EVERYONE that has volunteered to be a ref in the past... No offence please..
A good ref is impartial to the facility and participants and grants judgment on the rules as they are written. These impartial referees should come from a pool and be assigned to a specific event on a weekly basis.
What a PERFECT example? High school football... Where do you think those guys come from? They are all trained to the rules by the organization and subscribing leagues, then they are grouped as a team and assigned to a specific game. The home school does not pick the ref they get, but they pay them.

Lets face it, I have the greatest ideas EVER... its just that simple. I should be named Grand Poobah of Moto.....

images

If there was a safety inspector to pull hazaedous riders off the track-- I'd never be able to ride or race again!

Actually--IMO, it's just plain common sense that if there IS a bigger, peaked on both ends obstacle on a track, then don't let the "C", Vets, Women, Jr Minis do it. It won't be a perfect catch net, and there will still be crashes even on the easier stuff, but the thread is about making it safer, I think it would help do that, AND take the sandbaggers out of "C" class. --L*64

You know... There has been a safety coordinator / inspector for Supercross for years... I know this because my uncle Joe Safreed was this person. He had two jobs, 1. Inspect each track, identify dangerous designs to both rider and spectators, and make sure these flaws / issues are correct before competition begins. 2. Once practice begins, identify riders that where not up to speed and or created a danger to himself, other riders, or spectators and remove them from the competition.
The fact that the AMA and other sanctioning organizations do not do this for local races has ALAWAYS been my biggest issue. Said organization SHOULD be sending representatives to each and EVERY sanctioned event to do the very thing. That person SHOULD have the authority to demand changes to the tracks including obstacle placement, shape and prep. They MUST also be able to evaluate a riders ability to determine safety and proper classification to ensure fairness.
To do this in the most economical manner possible, the organization SHOULD have a training program in place for ALL referees. Each race must have a ref present at every event already. Why not give that person the proper training and authority?
This one person can be the answer. Just think, no more complaining about sandbaggers. No more guess work about track prep and people complaining about it. PLUS. If it help prevent one tragedy that we seen at Ironman. I think we all would consider it a huge success.
Back in the early 80's, District 5 had such a referee. They were actually a lot more organized in the 80's than anywhere I've been in this entire state in the last 30 years

Briarcliff in my opinion is a very safe facility. If you are not a very skilled rider (which is me) then ride the C track. If you are then ride the A/b track. Also the track is never to blame for accidents. You have to sign a waiver to get in. You are choosing to ride and go to a motocross park. A sight lap would help to so there wouldn't be any surprises (water drain mentioned earlier).

One way I will say to make ANY track safer......slow it down. There is just no need to be in 4th gear in the upper rpm ranges on a 450 in mx. Too fast. Keep the jumps to 3rd half throttle max, 2nd and 3rd gear corners and straights. There are plenty of tracks with very fun and challenging jumps that dont require warp speed to clear. Ive got an 85' table top at my house that you can clear in 2nd on a 450, 3rd on my 125 ..... at last years party on about 8 people were jumping it. I have a 110' step up table top that is extremely safe to land any where without jarring the teeth out of your head and I bet only 5-6 different people have ever jumped it. One of which was a quad rider. Its 3rd gear half throttle. My point isnt about my jumps as much as they are slower than lots of jumps at many tracks but still very challenging to clear. Nobody has ever left my track saying its easy and on a 450 you dont need 3rd gear.

Sure there is going to be a jump at a track or two that is crazy but going down in 4th gear on a jump or straight is asking for injuries.

One way I will say to make ANY track safer......slow it down. There is just no need to be in 4th gear in the upper rpm ranges on a 450 in mx. Too fast. Keep the jumps to 3rd half throttle max, 2nd and 3rd gear corners and straights. There are plenty of tracks with very fun and challenging jumps that dont require warp speed to clear. Ive got an 85' table top at my house that you can clear in 2nd on a 450, 3rd on my 125 ..... at last years party on about 8 people were jumping it. I have a 110' step up table top that is extremely safe to land any where without jarring the teeth out of your head and I bet only 5-6 different people have ever jumped it. One of which was a quad rider. Its 3rd gear half throttle. My point isnt about my jumps as much as they are slower than lots of jumps at many tracks but still very challenging to clear. Nobody has ever left my track saying its easy and on a 450 you dont need 3rd gear.

Sure there is going to be a jump at a track or two that is crazy but going down in 4th gear on a jump or straight is asking for injuries.

So should manufacturers just start making bikes with only 1st-3rd gear and save some weight? Maybe then we won't need neck braces, or testicles! ;) (no offense to any women riders out there)

I know exactly what Hershey is talking about. One month ago, I got knocked out for the first time ever. 4th gear down a fast straightaway. Dog leg, and tucked the front end, back end came over and had a very high speed high side. I personally believe it was the speed at which I came off the bike that increased my injuries. It was pretty soft dirt. Now with that said, I still enjoy fast high speed tracks. I went back to the same track last weekend, and finished 2nd. So while I agree with his thought......I always like the faster tracks myself.

Just answering the question "Can MX tracks be made safer"

Geez people.

And I guarantee most ..... not all ..... of you wouldnt do all the jumps on my track in their entirety. They do take testicles....in 2nd gear even.

Just answering the question "Can MX tracks be made safer"

Geez people.

And I guarantee most ..... not all ..... of you wouldnt do all the jumps on my track in their entirety. They do take testicles....in 2nd gear even.

That an a brand new air filter due all the bark mulch in the track.......just sayin

Back