Can MX be made safer?

Anyone watching the FIM mx GP series ? Tracks don't have many jumps. Lots of turns and singles. Challenging tracks. I hope RV goes over there to see how he stacks up.

Georgie I don't know what your watching but the Italy and Germany tracks had huge jumps, dozers and excavators parked next to the track. Wood fence posts sometimes right up to the track and most had TONS of rocks.
What is up with all the GP riders wearing those ugly arse Airon helmets? Man those things are ugly. I would rather wear a visorless openface with a jofa mask and a pair of Super Seers then those dorky things

Just remember people still get hurt, sometimes very badly even running flat track. Theres always a risk, its just how confident is the rider about the risk there about to take on any said track or obstical...

yeap, moderate

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 194
The hardest crash I had in recent years was at Fly raceway, and it was going down the back straight. I didn't see the drainage ditch that was across the track, and the dirt is soft right there. The guys who ride there a lot just know about it and pop the front end over while going 4th gear. Well I didn't, the front end stuck sending me flying over the bars. Messed me up for 6 months.

The hardest crash I had in recent years was at Fly raceway, and it was going down the back straight. I didn't see the drainage ditch that was across the track, and the dirt is soft right there. The guys who ride there a lot just know about it and pop the front end over while going 4th gear. Well I didn't, the front end stuck sending me flying over the bars. Messed me up for 6 months.

And that is an example of a problem a promoter should fix.....IMO

What is up with all the GP riders wearing those ugly arse Airon helmets? Man those things are ugly. I would rather wear a visorless openface with a jofa mask and a pair of Super Seers then those dorky things

$(KGrHqF,!lUFJbtEMy0LBSZRF4V,Pw~~60_12.JPG

Nothing dorky about them!!! Plus they are the lightest helmet you will find with the proper testing requirements met!

One of the things that most of us seem to agree on is that different rider’s skill sets and experience are suited to different tracks. I would love it if some of the tracks would hold “C” / Vintage / Vet practice days and tuned down the track a bit, even once a year. Might be a fun day and attract a different audience, just occasionally.

fim gp series tame? You guys on pitracer what are you watching? This is motocross. when you buy a bike you understand the risk that comes with that machine if you don't you are in another world. You will never stop accidents.

Man you folks love a good debate!

No matter what side of the fence you are on, guess what, there is still the opposite side of the fence. No two ways around it.

Make all tracks slower and more technical to reduce injury: people will wad themselves up the first time they hit a track that has a 4th gear fast section because they won't have any experience with it.

Of course it could be safer, jumps could be safer, bikes could be safer, etc. And then it wouldn't be motocross, the gnarliest sport out there that we all love and have knowingly risked our well being to be a part of. Don't you take pride in that?

I'm glad I'm not a track owner/operator and have to worry/think about these things. I'm happy being the guy that worries about "do I have the skill/experience to huck this huge double, and is it worth it if I wad it up" because ultimately it's my risk to take.

I will say I do like the idea of "rating" tracks for skill level, it would help steer the masses. The guys working on progressing past "C" status can go to the C tracks until they are clearly ready to move up. Most districts do this when it comes to racing, at one of my old stomping grounds in Michigan, Freelin MX had a 90'-100' double (that I will add had a huge run-up and tame "roller" landing) and if you were caught jumping in C class you were immediately bumped to B class.

Most of this I think might be caused by a lack of structure in Moto these days. If a track is a free-for all practice track, doesn't hold races and doesn't split practice sessions, you are going to have these 10+ page debates of safety....all....day....long.

Alright, lets debate the "rating system"...
1. If its a B rated track are C riders not allowed to ride?
2. Will A and B rated tracks be charged more or less from the insurance companies?
3. Who decides what rating is given? Riders? organization? Promoter? Obama?
4. How often will they be reviewed? Everytime they change anything? What about after disc and watering?

I agree with the lack of structure but that is caused by free enterprise. You can not force a track to have races or split anything. Most tracks that have open practice and no racing, cater to the weekend warrior in blue jeans and a wife beater tank. There are A LOT more of those then most racers think. In most cases those are the people that are keeping the tracks open. These guys are often happy enough with just a "ramp" and a mud hole. How do you put them in a rating system? How deep of a mud hole can you have before the facility have to bumped up to the next slot on the rating scale?

Alright, lets debate the "rating system"...
1. If its a B rated track are C riders not allowed to ride?
2. Will A and B rated tracks be charged more or less from the insurance companies?
3. Who decides what rating is given? Riders? organization? Promoter? Obama?
4. How often will they be reviewed? Everytime they change anything? What about after disc and watering?

I agree with the lack of structure but that is caused by free enterprise. You can not force a track to have races or split anything. Most tracks that have open practice and no racing, cater to the weekend warrior in blue jeans and a wife beater tank. There are A LOT more of those then most racers think. In most cases those are the people that are keeping the tracks open. These guys are often happy enough with just a "ramp" and a mud hole. How do you put them in a rating system? How deep of a mud hole can you have before the facility have to bumped up to the next slot on the rating scale?
You don't...that's how. Just talk about how "...you would do it if you were in charge..." on Pitracer... ;) 'Cause it's fun ta. :)

So it could be like skiing... Double black diamond for pro riders and the bunny hill is for 50's... Would the track designed for the "Transgender" have a sign with Davi Millsaps picture on it since his vagina is still not healed enough to race this year?

Back