Chillitown MX Battle Round 1 **July 18-20**

The idea would be to have a 125cc "Pro only" class as a throw back to the good old days. We have a two stroke class and other classes to watch amateurs ride two strokes. We are looking for a sponsor for the purse on this one (we have a few calls in that might pan out but nothing serious yet). We would like to see this as a one moto winner takes all race. If we can get support for it we will run it but if there is no interest then we will sideline the idea until we can make it happen.

We think there are enough people willing to loan 125's to make this happen...let's make this happen gang!

I you tubed some video of your track. Is it still similar to the Mcdad video from the battle last year? Trying to figure if it is worth the 300 + miles and a 5 hour drive or not, that's all. Got Yamaha contingency races closer, so just weighing options................

I can promise you that it will be worth your trip. There are very few that leave our place after a weekend of festivities that aren't happy. The track layout it pretty close to the video you mention. We have made a few changes. I think there are some newer gopro videos out there.

Try this link:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUD7qHGqQt0

Watched the video above. Track looks good. 1:20 lap times. I got to get more than 5 laps to make it worth the drive in gas and time. If you run like 10 minutes plus one, I can go. For two six minute motos, not worth it for me, time and money wise.

Thanks for the quick reply. You must be the guy I talked to on the phone last Thursday. Good guy. Called me back proto!

Last edited:
Watched the video above. Track looks good. 1:20 lap times. I got to get more than 5 laps to make it worth the drive in gas and time. If you run like 10 plus one, I can go. For two six minute motos, not worth it for me, time and money wise.

Thanks for the quick reply. You must be the guy I talked to on the phone last Thursday. Good guy. Called me back proto!

I understand riding is important...that is where all the opportunity comes from to enjoy the company of others while at the races.

Yes. The lap times are short, but the event is long in quality, craftiness, compassion, and Moto Fun with The Moto Family. I would drive 5 hours just to attend CTMX; others do!

You can ride Saturday and get just about an hour of seat time if you ride every rotation.

Dude...CTMX is a grande place to be in grass root Motocross with a strong mix of next level racers, young and old on all kinds of machines.

Racing should be done by 6...if your last Moto and have to drive 5 hours,you could be home by midnight.

I work CTMX...and will be home about midnight and back up at 5:30 for concrete work.

See ya there!

Last edited:
No more classes.....I don't care what they are. Tons of riders and motos. Already will be a long day.

Watched the video above. Track looks good. 1:20 lap times. I got to get more than 5 laps to make it worth the drive in gas and time. If you run like 10 minutes plus one, I can go. For two six minute motos, not worth it for me, time and money wise.

When you put in your motos at briarcliff, and you are running 1.45 lap times (maybe we will see) in the 90 degree August heat and Ohio humidity, I want you to look me in the eye and tell me you want more than 5 laps......at moto rev this spring we did 5 lap motos, both sets, and were done 5ish, I don't really remember. Anyway, you come to the Cliff, you will get your money's worth. If you pull off the track looking like js7 on peds without breaking a sweat and can talk to me with normal rythem in your breath, I will be impressed. If you do then you need to ride harder.

We pride ourselves as a track that listens to the riders and giving them what they want. We have played around with laps to give the riders the most for their money. We have found, much like JO just stated, that you get people complaining that the moto is too long if you make the motos closer to 10 minutes. We have found a good balance between laps ran vs seat time. I am confident you will get your moneys worth if you decide to attend our event. Our pro classes run just over 10 minute motos and they are sucking wind when they pull off and they are all in great shape. Hope to see you there!

No complaining or whining here. Just go, ride, smile and have a great time. Yeah, I'm planning on it as well. If I do not it will not be because I do not want to, I'm worried about not getting my money's worth and/or I am thinking there are too many classes and not enough track time. Just sayin'...

Also, get that 125 Pro class in there. That would be almost worth the price of admission to me. I so miss the sounds of them days... Too bad we couldn't pull some old..er 125 Pro speciaists out for that one as well... Are you saying just one moto for this? I think that would be OK. No use in running two motos since it is kind of just a promo class in a way, right? One and done?

Looking forward to rejoining the MX racing community again. Wish me luck!..or not. ;)

Last edited:
I like the timed motos either way. So that 50s are running the same amount of time as a big bike class. To me this is the way to go. I would like to see tracks figure a class structure out that would allow for 10 minute motos plus 1 lap. To me that would make for a good local race moto. And if the track starts on time, you should know fairly close to when your day will be completed.

So were talking 1 lap (lol, seriously), because I would bet most of the middle pack guys are near 2 minute laps. At 5 laps we are talking 10 minute moto already. So the day is too long, but we want to add 40 minutes to an hour? John, 9 times out of 10 you have to leave early for something else anyway. I will bet each of you $50, that if we announced at the riders meeting that 50+ and 40+ were running 6 laps instead of 5, we get a bunch of groans, maybe a wimper. Are we gonna turn this into a "we like big deep ruts thread" while we beat our chests?

Get over it, a five lap sprint with today's machinery and track style smokes what you did 30 years ago. If it doesn't then you aren't riding hard enough. Maybe trail riding? Open practice? Then you could cruise around for 10+1. "Arggggh we don't practice, we are tough guys, I forgot"

You will get your money's worth at the battle series, each track is ready to give you more than what you will find on any given weekend, I guarantee it.

JO.....think you took me wrong. I am totally fine with 5 laps!! That is a ten minute moto. I was really just trying to make a point. Rather than ever running laps that the timed thing is best for scheduling, getting equal race time etc. Then the people on here that complain about not having enough time on the track, I thought a 10 min plus one lap was a good compromise. Hell I am great for 4 laps, and struggle through the 5 lap. Go 4 laps at BC........I might finish a spot higher!!

We will be there, May be my little guys first race. The free 50 open class is a great idea. My son is not ready for that, but he will run the Jr. and oil classes.
I will stay away from the length of moto topic, think we all know how I feel.
Regardless of the length of moto's, Chili is well worth the drive. I went just to watch last year. The facility is top notch, Track prep was spot on (except for dust during quads, but we all know the root cause of that as well). I was VERY impressed with the small details like fresh paint on the starting gate, a mist tent, fresh mowed grass all around the track, announcer on the radio and so on...
If I were to change ANYTHING it would be to add a couple more turns just to slow things down and create more passing zones. And please use a bull horn during the riders meeting. Hard to hear in the back of such a large crowd.

Oh yeah, bring back the garage sale, My son is growing like a weed and I have lots of gear to sell.

wait. One more suggestion. Anyone too lazy to get off your golf cart or razor and stand next to the fence instead of driving up and blocking everyone else, should be shot on sight.

As a standing rule we will have the MX yard sale at all future events. We try to get people involved as much as possible. Some people think its not worth setting their stuff out but I disagree. I gathered up Zach's old stuff along with old take off parts and sat everything on a table. I sold over $400 worth of stuff and still had to carry stuff back home. I was shocked at how much I sold.

So PLEASE..by all means, bring your old parts and gear! We will be advertising for this as well. And with us having a pit vehicle parade Saturday evening it will be a good time to scout out who has stuff sitting out. Make signs so people will know you are selling stuff too..that helps a bunch!

JO.....think you took me wrong. I am totally fine with 5 laps!! That is a ten minute moto. I was really just trying to make a point. Rather than ever running laps that the timed thing is best for scheduling, getting equal race time etc. Then the people on here that complain about not having enough time on the track, I thought a 10 min plus one lap was a good compromise. Hell I am great for 4 laps, and struggle through the 5 lap. Go 4 laps at BC........I might finish a spot higher!!

I just get tired of many people running off at the keyboard, not you in particular john, just people always talking about how they want 15 minute motos, gnarly tracks, big jumps, and on and on. In reality most are dragging their tongues after 4 laps. Me included right now ( on the tongue drag). Most people don't put 100% into the 4-5 laps they have. Motocross isn't a three hour tour, it's 10 minutes of insane intensity, a sprint. Now real pros sprint for way longer, but let's face it, we are far from that. I think most of us are lucky that we can still turn laps, we have it good, and yet listening to people, you would think that we are forced to race and ride. That's it, rant over.

I'm looking forward to Ctown, moto training has begun. I just finished off the cookies and cream.......

I see where 907 is coming from. Those guys running the Masters Series are doing 6 lap motos on tracks like Budds Creek and Tomahawk. The 30, 35, 40, and 45A classes are doing 8. More than I'm ready for (I gave it a try last week), but if that was the norm where I raced I'd be disappointed with 5 as well.

8 min plus one lap, fair for everyone except the mini parents who want the same 5 lap 20 min moto for the 50cc guys! Fair enough!

Lets all just agree to disagree and have fun riding!

Currently I was thinking more like 7 min + 1... ;)

I see where 907 is coming from. Those guys running the Masters Series are doing 6 lap motos on tracks like Budds Creek and Tomahawk. The 30, 35, 40, and 45A classes are doing 8. More than I'm ready for (I gave it a try last week), but if that was the norm where I raced I'd be disappointed with 5 as well.

Yeah, them dudes is bad@$$. No way that would be fun for me right now. Tourture? Maybe?... Maybe by end of summer I'll be preaching a different tune, but probably not although I was putting in a "decent" 5 to 6 laps at BC last summer/fall with a torn rotator cuff and somehow made it through 4 or 5 laps at the BC Battle on Sunday so there is hope. ;)

Back