Open practice

wilson9

Noob
What's the deal with all our local tracks being bike only open practice? Not sure I understand the hate towards quads and quad racers. Everybody's money is printed the same. The track prep/maintenance because of quads is a ridiculous excuse just like these tracks don't make any money offering quad practice. You can't make money allowing quads to practice one time and having a small turn out especially when the only time you open the track to quads is on a national event weekend. Obviously not gonna have a good turnout. Seems intentional though that way there's a point to prove. Just irritating that our group of riders has to resort to and rely on building our own facility to have a place to practice other than a few laps prior to a race on the day of the race.

images

I just stopped by to read the comments ....lol.... I see your from Carrollton, so that does mean your looking at a drive to ride . In central ohio rt 62 and BCMX are quad friendly. If you got a big group , pick up the phone and call the tracks around you , volunteer , offer to help , let em know
you and some buddies wanna spend some hard cash at the track they run. When you do go , thank them , pick up your crap, good luck .

Solution:

A. Sell quad.
B. buy bike.
C. Practice erredaay!!!

Then you can't race quads. That won't work.

Is there any part of the nation that is prevelent for quad racing ? It seems like its a mini version of NASCAR. The pro nats are the only ones with turnouts.

Hey guys, freedom of speech right? Just another unsatisfied customer......I just can't see turning away any customers in this economy, especially when it really doesn't matter. Flame on her-she

100% satisfied with everything Jeremy at BC does for this whole organization. Upkeeping a professional grade track, being about the only support us quad riders have and everything to do with the OMA. I had a feeling nobody would be able to give a straight answer as to why it matters if you're on 2 wheels or 4.

Myself and Logan have been to many tracks that allow both bikes and quads and we all seem to buzz around just fine... I don't understand the tracks that don't allow quads either.. As someone said, quad money is green too.
I guess the track maintenance is a lil more with quads cause they can throw some dirt.
My solution is: Do bikes only until 3p and then allow quads from 3 to close. IF no quads show up, the owners day is over. If they show up, the track will be packed down for the owner till the next weekend...
Little by little motocross is dying bikes and quads...eventually the track owners are going to have to allow anything on the track to make a few bucks. Biggest market now are side by sides... bike guys will REALLY be upset when they gotta work around a Razor 1000... LOL

I got new boots to break in so let me give it a few kicks..
You destroy good traction for bikes. Every corner looks like Eldora on a Saturday nite.
Your hard to pass. The whole couch thing
The Molly Hatchet music coming from your nova pulling a flat bed lawn trailer in the pits gives us a headache.
The "I shop at Fashion bug" sticker on the rear fender is distracting.
No one has a lighter for your Marlboro' s.
My wife gets jealous of your 300lbs. "Old Lady" in her "Juicy" sweat pants.
Dust.
The chain on your wallet creates safety issues

Did I miss any?

But really. Best way to fix the problem is find a location that does support your habit. If all your quad buddy's do show up in large numbers, other tracks will take notice and may open up
Or. Do what Georgie said and BAM. problem solved

Bikes like ruts, quads destroy ruts simple as that. I personally try to avoid practice days split with them cause it's not as fun and dangerous. Track prep only goes so far. I like a track filled with ruts, that's the best and funnest practice for most riders.

Tennessee national was a great example of the difference between the 2. They aired the ATV national right before the MX and the tracks conditions were polar opposites.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Bikes like ruts, quads destroy ruts simple as that. I personally try to avoid practice days split with them cause it's not as fun and dangerous. Track prep only goes so far. I like a track filled with ruts, that's the best and funnest practice for most riders.

Tennessee national was a great example of the difference between the 2. They aired the ATV national right before the MX and the tracks conditions were polar opposites. View attachment 45754View attachment 45755

It's true the Atv national does pack in the tracks way more, but that's an extreme example. I don't victory sports touched the track period after Friday. I think given the amount of quads that you see for local practice, the ruts will live. Now if you would get say more than 20 quads on the track with the bikes, that seems to be the dividing line, and maybe it's time to break it up. At least my place it would seem that way.

There is a flip side to allowing quads. It does in many cases widen out the track, and some of the outside ruts, which newer riders and middle of the road vets love it. I think if you had 1-5 quads at a practice, you would be surprised at how much better you thought the owners prepped, because it would be so much wider with less marbles. Or if they prep like some I know, 2 hours before, you will hate it, because the track would suck from lap 3 through lap 3.5.

Both CRA and the OMA allow quads to race their events. As for practice BC, Rt 62 & Moto 60 sports park all offer quad practice if Im remembering correctly. The reason practices dont allow them so much is because through trial and error it isnt profitable for them. Im sure some of it is prejudice as well.

Personally Im a quad guy myself!

Last edited:
I would pay good money to see you attempt a quad, I have seen you triple, but never quad anything.....just sayin

It is an odd situation in my mind. I love seeing quads when practice is super muddy and they smooth it all out and make the track better. But when the track is dusty, they seem to make it worse. Guess that is the selfish greedy part of me...lol I agree that 4-5 quads widen the track but it takes a rider that is good at riding safely with bikes.

Every time there's quad practice at any of the tracks on our schedule we are there. No matter near or far. Were not gonna complain about not having options and then not show up when it's offered. Never hear quad guys cry because the dirt bike ruts are too extreme to ride on the same track, don't understand why it's gotta be the other way around. It's only practice, deal with it. And if your that good of a rider adjusting to track change should be a breeze. You have to develop a line on a freshly prepped track anyway right? Inexperienced dirt bike riders can do just as much damage to a line as a quad. Gonna bash on them too for not learning fast enough? In the end it's all motocross no matter what you ride and it makes the entire community look ridiculous when it's 2 wheel vs 4 wheel hate continuously.

Never hear quad guys cry because the dirt bike ruts are too extreme to ride on the same track, don't understand why it's gotta be the other way around. It's only practice, deal with it.
Because they have the majority. And if the majority is complaining and your numbers start dropping the solution is what it is

Inexperienced dirt bike riders can do just as much damage to a line as a quad. Gonna bash on them too for not learning fast enough?

That's a stretch.. inexperienced bike riders tend to go around the ruts.. and even if they do get into them they cannot flatten all of them out or turn them into a bumpy mess. ~450lbs + 4 wheels vs ~250 lbs or less with 2...

In the end it's all motocross no matter what you ride and it makes the entire community look ridiculous when it's 2 wheel vs 4 wheel hate continuously.

Yep. Some tracks chose to make it work, others make excuses. I go to both because I don't ride a quad.. and I don't refuse to go to bike/quad split practices either.

Back