Buying a bike without a title

Holderbaum256

PR Addict
I'm looking at buying a bike tomorrow in michigan but not sure if I should. Guy said he can write a bill of sale and give me a bill of sale from previous owner. Would this be okay? Seems like more and more sell these bikes without titles. Is that how it works nowadays. Can I get a title for this?

I wouldn't unless it was a bike that never came originally with a title like a vintage dirt bike.

I am guessing this is a newer machine? How can you prove ownership if you buy it? That piece of paper that is a "bill of sale" is worthless for a vehicle that is supposed to be registered. Might work with a piece of farm equipment, but not a bike.

I know wisconsin doesnt issue titles. Call the title bureau in Michigan and ask.

Surprisingly many people who buy dirt bikes dont keep track of the titles. I wouldnt be too worried if he gave you a bill of sale along with a copy of his ID to verify who he is. And you can check the VIN to see if its been stolen first also.

You can get a off road title for a bike that does not have one. I have done it before. You will need a notarized bill of sale, an affidavit of ownership by you or another attesting you own the bike (so bring a friend to witness you purchase the bike) then the BMV has a form for them to sign and also a pencil rubbing of the VIN number. You can find this information by searching around on the BMV site, or follow this link. http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/registration_titling_apv_usv.stm However if the bike is reported stolen you would be screwed. You can if the owner is willing bring the bike to the local PD or Sheriff's Office and have them run the VIN to check for stolen. They will not do it over the phone. As every jurisdiction is different you should call in advance and see their procedure. More service oriented departments will send a cruiser by and run it at the owners home.

People will say lots of things in order to sell a bike. You can run the serial number through the BMV website to check the status of it. Buying a bike with no title or at least the certificate of origin is not worth it in my opinion, just too much hassle.

we have recently owned a couple of bikes that we did not get titles with, they are impossible to sale!!!!

Bike shops can run vins and tell you if the bike was ever titled. If it was and he says it wasnt. I wouldn't buy it.

Thank you all. We're going to get a notarized bill of sale. According to the bmv website that is all I need. Probably surprise him and have the pd check it out too

In my opinion, it kinda depends on where you intend on using it. If it's strictly for use on private property and will never see public land, then it's not a big deal. But if there is a chance on using it at some of the parks like Wayne National Forest, then you gotta have the title to get it regestered.

we have bought and sold several bikes without a title. We live in OH, so if we go to PA to buy a bike, you just get a bill of sale and then up to us if we want to take it to pay taxes and get title. which, we never have done. we just give bill of sales and any paperwork when we sell them.

Shaker I know you pay taxes on all your dirtbikes. Wouldn't want the IRS forum bot sniffer to throw you under the bus. :)

image.jpg

^^^^^ show em this

Years ago a friend of mine bought a bike over in Pa. without a title just a bill of sale. The seller was the second owner and my buddy was going to be the 3rd owner. So we loaded the bike into the truck and headed home. Three months later he decided he wanted to register the bike with the state OH and get a title. . .Well come to find out whenever he went to register the bike it had a lien on it from the bank. He called the bank that held the lien and there was $3,200 still owed on it. So he was screwed and afraid of getting caught by the police and the bike impounded. So he called the bank to settle the debt and the lowest they would go is $900. It was a toss up with paying a debt or buying a frame on ebay with a title. He ended up just paying the bank. Now he has a title....So I will never buy a bike without a title... A State Trooper stopped me one time on 77 with a trailer full of quads on my way to Hatfield/McCoys to check vin numbers. Man he climbed on the trailer and checked every vin. Delayed us for about a half hour but what are you going to do. He was doing his job.;)

Last edited:
Thats why you check the vin yourself before buying a bike with no title. Its really easy people. I dont get why everyone is so scared to do this.....

Thats why you check the vin yourself before buying a bike with no title. Its really easy people. I dont get why everyone is so scared to do this.....
If the owner lost it then they should take the time to find it or get a new one. How lazy can you be? People are less likely to buy a bike without a title.

And therefore you can get a better deal on a bike without a title. Do a little leg work and save cash. Why be so lazy?

you'll be able to get a title if needed. It's a nine step program that you can get from title office here in Ohio. I am doing it now for my bike. I bought my bike a couple years ago from Yamaha of Troy and never got the title. I'm just now trying to go thru the process of getting one. It's a pain, but you can get one.

Thanks for all the info. I had the VIN checked. Was not stolen or have a active lien. First owner didn't get a title and lost the proof of origin. I got the bike back Thursday night and raced it at smith rd Friday. Was sweet! I'm horribly out of shape though. The seller worked at a car dealership and they gave me a purchase agreement. So if I have any problems it looks like it will be the dealer that gets screwed

Back