Buying a bike without a title

Thanks for all the info. I had the VIN checked. Was not stolen or have a active lien. First owner didn't get a title and lost the proof of origin. I got the bike back Thursday night and raced it at smith rd Friday. Was sweet! I'm horribly out of shape though. The seller worked at a car dealership and they gave me a purchase agreement. So if I have any problems it looks like it will be the dealer that gets screwed
Nice, I'd have no worries then. I take bikes without titles all the time, I always tell who I'm getting it off of that I don't care about a title for an offroad bike but I'm not gonna pay as much just as I would if it did just for the fact that its a harder sell and alot of people want nothing to do with untitled bikes.

Bike shops can run vins and tell you if the bike was ever titled. If it was and he says it wasnt. I wouldn't buy it.
...we might be able to tell you the last known owner. But with regard to KTM only ( cause that is all I know) we don't have that ability. Here is what I was told by the BMV. Take the bike in the back of your truck or on a trailer to your local BMV. Walk in tell them what you need to do...you need to verify that this bike is not stolen and you need to verify if it has a current title. They will walk outside with you and get the VIN #. They will run that # through their system and tell you what they find. If everything comes up good then they hand you a piece of paper and you take it back inside with your bill of sale that you brought along with you , showing that VIN number and the price you paid for the KTM Bike . You will pay Ohio sales tax on the dollar amount you are showing on your invoice. Nothing is simple but this is what I have been told.

I'm with Hershey, its not that freaking difficult. A title is nothing more then a tax. If it is street legal then yes, get a title. If its a motocross bike and you pay for a title, then please park next to me at the next race and I will convince you that you must purchase a Land lease for that 10 X 10 piece of grass that you are using for the day. Of course all payments must be made to me.

I'm with the no-title crowd. Pretty much just a way for the state to get tax from you. Check the VIN before you buy, then don't worry about the title or giving the state more money for something that has already been taxed.

I never even put off road titles in my name for that reason, it's nice to have the piece of paper to show legit ownership and for ease of resale but I'm not going to pay more just so that paper can have my name on it when I already paid for the bike. If the next owner wants to fork out the cash to have it done then thats on them, technicaly title jumping is ilegal but its almost imposible to get nailed for with no physical paper trail. And as long as your not screwing people by flipping junk then theres no reason to worry.

I recently heard a story of a guy buying a KTM out of state. Never titled the bike to save paying taxes. He had bill of sale and MCO, but never went to state of Ohio for a title. Sold bike to the 2nd owner, no issues. 2nd owner sold bike to the 3rd owner. 3rd owner wanted to ride in Wayne National forest. He needed a title to get a permit. Found out first owner never titled or paid taxes. In order to get title, taxes needed to be paid. 3rd owner sued the original owner for the original taxes that should have been paid on the bike.

Anymore, I think its easier to just pay the couple hundred in taxes and be done with it.

I agree.......But that's the world we live in. The bike was in the first owners name on the bill of sale and MCO, but a title was never obtained. It got me thinking, so this last bike I just bought my son, it was not worth a couple hundred dollars to me not to have a title.

Haven't been on this site in months. This was a recent discussion then, and beaten to death at that time, although maybe all new to the O.P.

People R always B*tchin about Thugs n Low lifes stealing ur sh*t!!! Then turn around and advocate buying bikes without Titles!!! WTF???
Just buy a bike w/ Title. That way u know ur not contributing.
It isn't that hard (for the seller) to get a title if its legit, or has no back taxes, or liens, So why not have the seller get the title... or don't buy! On the other handif its just such a great deal its worth it to you, and you really don't care to ask too many questions go right ahead ...Otherwise your rolling the dice, and promoting the problem, and are just as guilty as the thief.

Hurry someone start a new thread about some dirt bags that stole ur bike n gear last night...

Buying a bike without a title (and doing your homework, key part there) in no way contributes to theft. Sure if you go find a super cheap bike on craigslist that you KNOW is sketchy and you buy it without question, you might / probably are... but if you do your homework, ask the appropriate questions to the appropriate people, you can almost always be certain if it is a legit deal or not.

Sold many bikes over the years, even to folks who post on here. Bought the bikes (new) out of state from Michigan, NC, PA, with an MCO. Sold them that way too. Even had someone come from Illinois to the parking lot at Iron Pony to buy one, then called me up to ask if the other one was for sale a few weeks later. Never had anyone make a big deal about a title. Some people don't care as long as they know who you are, and if you have taken care of the bike. Just my 1 cent worth.

Same here. Last two I sold I never titled. Had MCO in my name, and bill of sale and that was good enough for them. I told them if they wanted to title it and pay taxes it was up to them.

Back