Buying a bike without a title

DaveR913

PR Member
Also, I've had two bikes stolen (at same time). One had a title the other didn't. Didn't seem to matter to the thieves or the police. All the police needed was VIN number and some sort of proof of ownership. The bill of sale had the VIN # and was adequate.

Clint1991

PR Addict
Also, I've had two bikes stolen (at same time). One had a title the other didn't. Didn't seem to matter to the thieves or the police. All the police needed was VIN number and some sort of proof of ownership. The bill of sale had the VIN # and was adequate.
Can you insure a bike without a title? I've never had one stolen but I keep insurance on my personal bikes, I wonder if they'd pay up if I didn't have a title.

Clint1991

PR Addict
Yes. All ours are insured. They just need the vin #
I know you only give them the vin to insure it, but do they ask for the title to show ownership for a claim? If not what would keep someone from insuring a bike they don't actually have and filing it stolen? Yes if they got busted they'd be in a boat load of trouble for fraud and false reporting but would a smarter criminal do that rather then steal a bike? lol

DaveR913

PR Member
Don't know for sure. Stolen bikes were not insured. I thought home owners covered them when they are in the garage. I was wrong. Now I have everything insured. I'll have to ask my agent next time we're talking, about the proof of ownership thing.

Clint1991

PR Addict
Don't know for sure. Stolen bikes were not insured. I thought home owners covered them when they are in the garage. I was wrong. Now I have everything insured. I'll have to ask my agent next time we're talking, about the proof of ownership thing.
Some policy's do under home owners but you have to make sure it's in yours, and some only do for fire not theft. But it's pretty much there jobs to screw you out of getting paid for a claim.