After Battle Review

MX099

PR Addict
Wholie Crap its almost 9am Monday morning after the final Battle round and there is nothing posted! No photos, no congratulations, no bashing, no reports, no wait till next year. Now that's what I call leaving it all ont the table. Everyone must be exhausted.

i just didnt wanna start it off, only thing i wanna say is, WE ALL complain about the quad turnouts, but to turn away a few guys who were late to sign up, bc of waiting in line! is just plain rideculous, especially since they are at pretty much every OMA race, like i said pretty much! Dont get me wrong they shouldve been up earlier and there, but sh!t happens, they drove 2 hours to race, have the same green cash as everyone else, and they were denied, but the gentleman 2 people in front of them got to sign up just because he is a well known pro.

Other than that, GREAT JOB JO! i was there spectating and i thought everything went well, 40 guys in OPEN A!!!!
Track looked to hold up pretty well, got dusty but what can you expect with that heat and slight breeze. once again good job to JO and the BC crew!

Im too effing tired......Next year loud generators are going to get sugar in the gas tanks.

Other than that .....fantastic weekend, fast day for 612 entries and a great podium announcer.

More to come when I rest up

x614 on the exhaustion....I have many people to thank, I will do so with a clear head tomorrow....But in general a great weekend, motocross is alive in ohio, no doubt. thanks to everyone that makes the Battle a special event.

i just didnt wanna start it off, only thing i wanna say is, WE ALL complain about the quad turnouts, but to turn away a few guys who were late to sign up, bc of waiting in line! is just plain rideculous, especially since they are at pretty much every OMA race, like i said pretty much! Dont get me wrong they shouldve been up earlier and there, but sh!t happens, they drove 2 hours to race, have the same green cash as everyone else, and they were denied, but the gentleman 2 people in front of them got to sign up just because he is a well known pro.

Other than that, GREAT JOB JO! i was there spectating and i thought everything went well, 40 guys in OPEN A!!!!
Track looked to hold up pretty well, got dusty but what can you expect with that heat and slight breeze. once again good job to JO and the BC crew!

I agree that was 4 riders who all came together drove 2 hours experienced some trouble on they way down & ran late. They were treated very rude. It's sad because they are there every weekend support OMA. Other than that great job to JO and the whole Briarcliff staff. I think mixing the running order the way you did worked perfectly. I was home before 7 pm which was nice. Track looked great, turn out seemed better.

My only complaint is for goodness sake parents pay attention to your children, the flying through the pits was ridiculous. I was helping a small kid who's chain broke back to his pits. (Didn't know the kid but he couldn't find his parents). While pushing his 50 back to his trailer him & I were almost run over twice. Once by some kids on a golf cart and another time by 3 kids on a scooter. The kid driving the golf cart was maybe 8 or 9 could barely reach the peddle and the 3 kids cramped on the scooter none were wearing a helmet and were hauling the mail. Sounds like a bad accident waiting to happen. Rant over.

Am i the only person who was very let down by the track? There literally wasn't a single rut on the track for the second set of motos. Perfect quad track tho, i think its sad that the drive way was rougher than the track was! I talked to a few people who have never been to the track, and they all said they were let down. Didn't match up to how well people talk about the track.

Event went smooth though. Nice turn out, awesome viewing tower. Some drama in the vet and women's class too! I liked having the riders meeting first, and a short practice. Gates dropped for the first moto at 9:25 i believe.

(In Arnold Horshack voice, raising hand) oooh-ooh-oooh. I'll go first, I may ramble because I am deliriously tired as well!

As a native to the BC area I got to see the preperations leading up to the event and I will start there. No one works harder than the OMA family, BC family, Osborn family and many, many volunteers to put on a great race and show for all. Weeks of prep go into this event with a mad scramble the last few days trying to figure out mother nature, unexpected issues, logistics and so forth. It is a blur for me for when I even arrived at the track! I know I didn't leave until dark on Sunday, that's only because I did not want it to end! (wife made me). I felt the parking went really well, kudos to the self parking the racers did keeping lanes open. Yes, as the stragglers arrived late in the weekend they stuffed themselves into any spot to be found but I felt all handled it well! Freaking so hot and humid on Friday, I just about went down. My fault, hydration and forgot to eat all day. Saturday was the bomb from beginning till end! Only the boy rode this weekend so all feedback is from him regarding the track. Practice conditions were off the hook. Track, first round was tacky and traction galore. 2nd round was faster, dryer and rougher. We quit for the day after that. I wanted to see both sides of the track conditions and with the heat and long weekend we called it a day and just sat back for the evening festivities. I had no issues at sign up for practice, signed up Saturday for racing again no issues. Saturday night festivities were a blast. Loud music over the pa was rockin', pitbike racing was a blast to watch. Scary team race, lol! Guys come sliding in full bore sideways jumping off pit machines to hand off to their partner every lap was fun. "A" track addition pitbike race was cool. Justin Hall hucking the finish line at the checkers was epic! BMX demo was super cool. Every youngster with a BMX bike was right there watching the guys do a multitude of tricks. Pure talent them guys have. More importantly, the BMXers could have easily been annoyed by the kids but they talked, coached and totally interacted with each. Very cool role models they are! Now I have to build a ramp in my back yard, thanks? Dunk tank was fun, water was so freaking cold it took my breath away. Jeremy got dunked. Jarrett did an awesome job on the mic for dunking challenge and repeatedly got wet! Even a few kid volunteers got wet and loved it! Great day and night. Early to bed for us, not at the track so we did not experience the generator issue. Its a shame that those can be so inconsiderate! It was indeed a very loud unit. If you need to run a generator all night, purchase one with a lot less decibals. Sign up crew is on it. Bummer for those that got turned away on Sunday morning. C'mon, you gotta get to the track earlier. So much goes into sign up, the staff has to have time to build race order and be ready to start scoring. It is a complex system that is all tied together, you just can't plug names in after things are rolling. I could see at a regular weekend race plugging folks in late but a tight schedule it was. The staff busts their buns to be on time, so should you. The day clicked off on time, 7:30 riders meeting, practice at 8, racing started at 9:23. Killer pro quad moto, dudes haul! Every class rocked! So much talent in these parts it's crazy! Open A, 40 on the gate was a thunderous noise echoing in the woods, earth shaking! I do not see how the day could have went any smoother or quicker with the amount of racers had. Yes, a long day that does not appeal to all but it was the Battle and a battle it was! I thouroughly enjoyed the day and quite frankly needed the long day to make my rounds visiting old friends. We had so may friends and family that showed up to hang with us that we could have filled one set of bleachers. Kudos to all the racers! Everyone raced hard and safe! Minimal accidents, flaggers seemed to do a good job as well. Staging was organized and easy. Track was great even though the sun reared it's ugly head in attempt to destroy the moisture lurking within. Extra prep was done to give all a great surface. Ohio racers should be proud of themselves and proud to have such a great organization as the OMA to hold such an event. Thanks to all! My only beef of the event...Kids on pitbikes. I could not keep up running them off the tracks all weekend. They were everywhere, A,C, kids track. Kids ripping around on the tracks with no helmets is quite disturbing to me. Each time I politely yet sternly told them to move along. I was often greeted with the finger or choice words as they rode away. I'm just glad that I am raising mine right! Shame on the rest of you that have disrespectful little brats. Shame on you for making it look ok to future little MXers that not wearing safety equipment is ok. Total crap! If I had my way, no one under 16 would be allowed to have them anywhere. 1 violation and your DQd. Ok, Ive bored you enough! Good day!

Love, Matt.

PS. I peed in the dunk tank and I went first!

Am i the only person who was very let down by the track? There literally wasn't a single rut on the track for the second set of motos. Perfect quad track tho, i think its sad that the drive way was rougher than the track was! I talked to a few people who have never been to the track, and they all said they were let down. Didn't match up to how well people talk about the track.

Event went smooth though. Nice turn out, awesome viewing tower. Some drama in the vet and women's class too! I liked having the riders meeting first, and a short practice. Gates dropped for the first moto at 9:25 i believe.

That's really the only complaint that I predicted. For whatever reason the sawdust added joust wouldn't let the ruts form. Last Sunday's practice was very similar, even with minimal quads riding clearly different lines they just were not forming. I walked the track after practice last week and yesterday and the normally rock hard solid ruts were super soft and could be easily brushed away by foot.

Yeah, JO may need to talk to those tractor drivers. They should have left the deep inside ruts for the deep rutaholics...

'Tis why they call it "mid-day" prep as it is not a full ripping prep session. Limited time...

I dunno? Guess I'm not a rut guy but watching Gibby hit the fluff in the corner before the six pack just looked cool! I gotta think that the track that was supplied handed out far less injuries.

I've said it before, but thank you Jermey Osborn, Jason Rogers, and CTMX Jeremy for hosting the Battle rounds. All the races were great, and I've told everyone in SW Ohio, that they should be must go to races next year for them (but seems to be falling on def ears). These races are the best three races to hit Ohio Amateur motocross in a LONG time. They are not only a race, but an "event".

As for the track, I personally thought it was great. I was in moto 24, and it was not dusty. Dry by that time of the day sure, but not dusty. It was a much smoother track than I have raced in the past, but from a VET with a bad back, and one that was hurt at Chilitown, it worked to my advantage.....I am standing up straight this morning.

Parking was not an issue (arriving on Sunday). The large rocks JO put on the drive should have slowed those pit bikes up some, lol.

The racing on the track was great. The Open A class was awesome. First lap of the 1st moto, seemed like 15 guys were all battling for 1st place they were that close together. And with 40 guys, there were battles all over the track for each position.

I think there are some small areas that can be improved upon, but at the end of the day, the Battle of Ohio series in year three, is setting the mark very high for Ohio motocross.

I think terms of the track, the sawdust is taking some of the ruts away, because like woody mentioned, we've had 150+ bike turnouts with 2-3 quads, and it the ruts haven't been like they were in the past. Now we didn't even prep Friday because of rain threat, and we only cultivated Saturday, so that had a part in it too. To be honest, we haven't had too many weekends where we get the green light to go way deep and pour in the water. Weather has been holding us back some. Eventually we will know.

My turn.
I did all three rounds 940 miles total.
Chillitown (445 miles round trip) this was my favorite stop. Camping was great! Track was fun, I felt safe.
Malvern (195 miles round trip) it was actually a lot more mileage because I went from Red Bud. I arrived at midnight on Saturday. I think I got one of the best camping spots at the track. Track was fun, I never got into a groove and road like crap, but still had a good time. I had just as much fun watching Jason run around like a crazy man doing track maintenance. And it was much appreciated.
BC (320 miles round trip) I left my house around 3:15am Sunday morning. I arrived around 7. No wait at registration. I was practice 3, I only got 2 laps, Gibbie and Willy blew by me before the finish line so I didn't get the 3rd lap. You need more laps on a track this fast, ( not anyone's fault but mine). I like the layout just felt too old for the speed.
All three tracks had great staffs and volunteers. Thanks for a great series.

My biggest complaint is too much smoking in staging by moto moms and dads. I know I'm +50 but I'm still an athlete. I don't need to breath your stink ass smoke. If you can't go to staging without the cigs, maybe you should stay out.

Last edited:
I love both Briar Cliff and Malvern's layouts. Both are fast tracks and I like that. Chilitown, in my opinion is a great facility, and the layout of the track this year is much better than in years past for sure. But the Whoop section needs to go. It is outdoor motocross, not SX. Change the whoops to a roller section like you used to have on the other straight or something, and it would be better. They are a little more restricted because of land on the layout.

In a perfect world, there would be a battle round in SW Ohio also. But unless Knox and I open up that track, I don't see that happening.

Back