Battle Series Results

Are you sure it wasn't just word of mouth about the quality of the Battle Races and the OMA in general ? I'm not sure the AMA had anything to do with the increase in numbers.

To say they had nothing to do it with is stretch, but likewise to say it was everything probably isn't true either. Probably a combination of things.

I'm just yanking Knox's chain anyway.

At least we ran our last race with our best turnout ever, I feel like I have accomplished my goals with the facility this year, not much more that I can really do it with now.

Reactions: TBO
Keep in mind that with Alex's assistance we utilized the AMA's data base to send out 1500 large post cards with battle info to non OMA members that had MX oriented AMA cards in surrounding states. That same flyer we did up in email form and sent it to every AMA member in this side of the country.

Last winter you guys brainstormed a lot on promoting and running this series. And I recall reading talk about how many really good, yet idle racers or ex-racers there is just sidelined. Not sure what the magic was, but looks to me like you drew some of them out?

I'm a people watcher by trade ( :) ), and I was wowed by how many people showed up for the race. In all class's!
I spoke with an old coworker of mine at BC practice day, week before race, Dickie Hoy. He came out of a 9 year hiatus to race. And showed how fast he still was with his finish's.

I've been a Pitracer regular for several years now, and many racers names become familiar to you, but then BC race day came and went, and I studied the class results, and it's like " who are all these racers, and where did they come from?

Something worked.

I think a lot of people target these type of "events" rather than racing every weekend. Some of the event in MI and NY and even the min-o's have a regional or national feel like the battle races do. Bragging rights can be a big part and the AMA $0.50 plate support just that. I would like to see each race a weekend event with practice on Friday and racing Sat & Sun to increase the value for those who will travel for these type of events. 3 moto format or increased laps spread over the 2 days maybe? Moto families like the camping/social aspect too. (loading up the 3 pit bikes for the kids and my Harbor Freight generator for next year :D)

Hmmm 3 moto format......

I here a gavel pounding .... and a big no!

Too bad, for the Battle finale .... once a year .... it would work. After a year like this one you almost have to do it. 3 motos, lots of track time and heading home by 3 on sunday? No brainer. You cant blame mother nature for ever on that first attempt at it.

Three moto must = higher gate fees. The extra day of staff and everything else just kills, meaning Friday practice. I would entertain a three moto format again if we could use the qualifier gate fee schedule.

I think being an affordable event helped greatly as well. S10 entry fee for the entire weekend was fantastic. With the price of things nowadays every little bit helps.
The cheap gate fee is very appealing on racers. It really subsidizes the cost of fuel for the long treks made by most. It's hard to drop $350 in fuel with a family of 5 and then she'll put another $200 at the gate for a $40/person weekend entry.

I think two longer motos is more appealing than three. Three is too hard to maintain a strict program. We saw that two years ago....makes everything hard.

I think we could honestly deliver the 2 longer motos before three motos. I think a 3 moto format is just too big of a step for this series. I think
We should hone in on the state championship aspect and at least set a goal of 5 laps or ten minute motos. Provided we try to start racing Saturday.

Back