Stop eating Whoppers

Our local government is asking us to stop supporting Burger King. From what I understand they are merging with a Canadian fast food facility and moving their corporate headquarters to Canada to avoid paying taxes. I understand that many of you are Republicans and perhaps will feel this is OK but look at it this way. Many of these large corporations pay zero in taxes because of our SORRY tax laws have loop holes that allow them to get away with this. In the meantime they pay their workers poor wages and in return we sorry saps have to pay for their medical care and food in order for them to get by. The only weapon we have here is to stop buying our products from these business's who need us fill their pockets and get richer.
When does the little guy get a break.

Where did you get your information that Burger King pays 0 taxes?????? They are not moving to Canada to avoid paying taxes. They are moving to pay less taxes. The US has the highest corporate tax rates in the world. You want companies to stop leaving the US, reform the corporate tax rate and make it more competitive with the rest of the world. This has widespread bipartisan support. Even Obama spoke in favor of it. (on one side of his mouth) If you want to boycott those at fault, then boycott the IRS and stop paying taxes.

I stopped supporting BK when they took away that bad*ss A1 Steakhouse burger....I just dont understand it, everyone I have ever talked to loved that d*mn thing.

Where did you get your information that Burger King pays 0 taxes?????? They are not moving to Canada to avoid paying taxes. They are moving to pay less taxes. The US has the highest corporate tax rates in the world. You want companies to stop leaving the US, reform the corporate tax rate and make it more competitive with the rest of the world. This has widespread bipartisan support. Even Obama spoke in favor of it. (on one side of his mouth) If you want to boycott those at fault, then boycott the IRS and stop paying taxes.
I did not state that they, Burger King, paid 0 taxes. I stated that 1 in 4 corporations (large) pay 0 or near 0 taxes. I agree that we desperately need tax reform. You are right this is a bipartisan issue so why are they not addressing it is my question. That being said, as it is, many of these entities have such a low pay scale for their workers that we in turn end up supporting them with government aid while they in turn rake in record profits. So if Burger Kings leaves to pay less taxes, which is understandable, we are left taking up the slack while they continue to get richer.

Boycotting the IRS will do nothing except land you in jail. Plus they don't make the rules they just enforce them. It is up to us, the people to continue to hound our congress to address these issues, being tax reform.

Perhaps the real answer is common sense tax reform. The USA is the only country in the world that taxes worldwide income of US citizens even if they haven't lived in the US for many years. As a Canadian I can tell you from personal experience Canada dos NOT have low taxes, they just make a bit more sense to most people. Not a big fan of Burger King anyway so no impact on me except that for every $1 that leaves the country its up to the rest of us to make up for it.

Perhaps the real answer is common sense tax reform. The USA is the only country in the world that taxes worldwide income of US citizens even if they haven't lived in the US for many years. As a Canadian I can tell you from personal experience Canada dos NOT have low taxes, they just make a bit more sense to most people. Not a big fan of Burger King anyway so no impact on me except that for every $1 that leaves the country its up to the rest of us to make up for it.

Is that not because they have single pay insurance? Their corporate tax is lower. My neighbor is Canadian..I shall have to ask her what she thinks.
That is exactly the answer but how do we get there? No one in government wants to work together anymore about anything.
I am not a fan either so no sweat there. The only fast food I enjoy is Chipoltle and perhaps Subway now and again.

Is that not because they have single pay insurance? Their corporate tax is lower. My neighbor is Canadian..I shall have to ask her what she thinks.
That is exactly the answer but how do we get there? No one in government wants to work together anymore about anything.
I am not a fan either so no sweat there. The only fast food I enjoy is Chipoltle and perhaps Subway now and again.

Take-Off-You-Hoser.jpg

Inversion deal? Naw... Beauty, the kings get single payer, eh?

Reactions: DTS
There is another way to avoid paying more in tax...reinvest. Invest in the company, invest in the country, invest in your workers....but is that not "trickle down"? I realize that I am small potatoes, smaller yet than small potatoes but I have lived by that in the 17 years I have been in business. Even my part timers get a bonus each and every year.

There is another way to avoid paying more in tax...reinvest. Invest in the company, invest in the country, invest in your workers....but is that not "trickle down"? I realize that I am small potatoes, smaller yet than small potatoes but I have lived by that in the 17 years I have been in business. Even my part timers get a bonus each and every year.

Yes 100%! Business in the US is set up to be perpetual. As soon as you get money you have to pass it on. If your lucky you can skim some off the top for Gas Money and Denali's for racing.
Everything goes back into my company and my employees.

Other countries GROW their companies. The US, (big companies) bleed them dry and shut them down. Bankruptcy is a business plan here in the states.

But there are many corporations just setting on billions of dollars, some here in the states, and much more overseas, choosing not to reinvest at this time. Exception being more spending through mergers and acquisitions to constantly try and better their positioning against competition, and reduce their tax liabilities. They speak on this every night on Nightly Business Report.

It's crazy to say but if a person wants to study and learn about tax evasion, you don't have to read any further than members of Congress on an individual private bases, and their corporate lobbiest on a public basis.

Major corporations are just as confused and unsure about where this economy is going as the general consumer public is.

Much, much more overseas. They have not been reinvesting in the U.S. for quite a long time now and have created this economic mess. They get greedy, as is human nature unfortunately, and rape the country. They use this country and depend on us as consumers and then hoard their money elsewhere. It will eventually come around to bite them in the behind though because as the middle class continues to shrink who will buy their products. As I stated in another thread at one point, the 1% can only purchase so many new cars and homes. As the middle class continues to lose it's buying power our economy as a whole will continue to suffer. A catch 22.

I did not state that they, Burger King, paid 0 taxes. I stated that 1 in 4 corporations (large) pay 0 or near 0 taxes. I agree that we desperately need tax reform. You are right this is a bipartisan issue so why are they not addressing it is my question. That being said, as it is, many of these entities have such a low pay scale for their workers that we in turn end up supporting them with government aid while they in turn rake in record profits. So if Burger Kings leaves to pay less taxes, which is understandable, we are left taking up the slack while they continue to get richer.

Boycotting the IRS will do nothing except land you in jail. Plus they don't make the rules they just enforce them. It is up to us, the people to continue to hound our congress to address these issues, being tax reform.

Okay, then where did you get your information that Burger King is raking in "record profits"? Your throw in all those red herring liberal buzz words of "zero taxes" and "record profits", and we are talking specifically about Burger King. Do you know what the profit margin is on fast food? I've seen the "we are supporting them because of low wages" talking points too, which are nonsense. These jobs are for kids looking for work experience until they get a real job. If you plan on raising your family based on a 20 hour a week career at Burger King, you are an idiot. Adults working at Burger King today are doing so because liberalism has destroyed the real job they once had or sent it abroad. That's not Burger King's fault or their responsibility to offset the income loss.

Worldwide corporate tax rates. US - 40% Canada 26% browse though the rest of them.
http://www.kpmg.com/global/en/servi...esources/pages/corporate-tax-rates-table.aspx

This is why jobs leave America and college educated Americans are working at Burger King demanded engineering wages for making Burgers.

Currently there is over 2 trillion dollars ($2,000,000,000,000) of American corporate money held overseas that they would love to bring back and invest here, but don't want to lose 40% of it. If you frequently traveled to Canada, had $10,000 in a Canadian Bank, needed the money, but would lose $4000 if you brought it home, what would you do?

Better look further...I am not certain of Burger King but I know McDonald's has had record profits. But what I said about supporting them because of low wages is a fact. You are right these used to be teenager jobs but no more. I agree they are partly to blame themselves (the employees) because many of them did little to advance themselves as far as education goes but that does not excuse the plain facts that we DO end up supporting these people.
It is true that the U.S. has high corporate tax but they also have far too many loopholes so what good does it do. Plain and simple we need tax reform. Lower the taxes but close the loopholes. I think that was my point. But also the point would be is it fair for Burger King or any other company to remain here in the U.S. and feed off of us and yet take and pay their taxes elsewhere. Not at all. There will always be low wage jobs...someone has to do them. Not all are college material. Perhaps they won't get rich off of these jobs but they should at least be able to house and feed themselves without our assistance.

Doesn't effect me, I don't put that poisonous garbage into my body anyway.
I don't eat that crap either but it isn't just Burger King, it is our whole system that is corrupt and out of wack. The middle class has being shrinking considerably since the 1960's and it has not always been in the control of the Democrats or liberals. The Republicans have had their turn also, so all the blame can not be placed on just one party.

I hate the gov. And Obama. But ( I may need Sturd for the facts) I think Obama or someone proposed a 0 % tax for these corps to bring the money back into the country. Any takers? Idk.

A one time exemption?

I did some investigating..Burger Kings effective tax rate in 2013 was 27.5 and Tim Horton's in Canada was 26.8. While our tax rate is higher (different state to state because each state is different and these rates reflect state and federal tax together) our tax laws offer exemptions. In order to reform the tax codes we would lose exemptions but would be taxed a flat rate thereby making the taxes much easier to compute. To state our corporate taxes are high is true, one of the highest, however it is more complicated because of the loop holes and exemptions. The very highest I found was in Saudi Arabia which taxes oil and gas companies at 85%, Saudi companies at 0% and all others at 20%. Doesn't pay well to own a gas or oil company!! I did notice that many countries have been lowering their corporate taxes quite a bit in the last few years but the U.S. has remained the same since 2006. So I guess it isn't Obama's fault!!!
Anyway I thought all this was quite interesting. I would imagine the reason we won't be seeing any major tax reform is because many companies (large corporations) have learned to use the exemptions and loop holes to keep their taxes low or sometimes zero. If it were low but a flat rate they would end up paying more! I'm sure our lawmakers benefit with they way it is also!!
I couldn't find anything that suggested allowing the money to be returned to the U.S. tax free.

Back