Stop eating Whoppers

Then you can explain the numbers you posted. What time period is that, and what period are you comparing it to. 72 percent of WHAT? 69% of WHAT?

Take earnings per share a year ago, multiply by 1.72, and you get eps this year.
Take the share price a year ago, multiply by about 1.6 (I didn't look up the exact day
price for 9/5/13, just took it off a graph) and you get the share price today.

Very complicated, most people don't understand it all, including me, which is why politicians like to make bogus accusations that people can't understand the refute.

So you are arguing this point that you don't understand? Is that really what you are saying?

BK stock is around $32. If you invested $10,000 in Burger King stock you would get 312 shares. You made 65.62 for this last quarter, or more likely got 2 more shares of stock.

No. If you owned 312 shares of stock, you'd make 312 x $0.08(dividend) = $24.96. The company keeps (and if they
stay in the US pays taxes on) the rest. Minus amortization and whatever other weird stuff the tax code gives them.

I'm sorry I did not mean to imply that BK had record profits only that on the whole large corporations are and we all realize this in the fact that Wall Street is doing well. That is a good thing for those of us who have investments. That being said, Wall Street can remain healthy and still support a healthy Main Street.

You are also right on Eric Cantor. I misspoke calling him a Tea Party favorite but he supports (or he did) many Tea Party candidates. From what I read he was very good at raising money which supported many Tea Party candidates and or groups. I suppose we now know how he raised this money. Mr. Brat has been caught claiming to have gone to Princeton, apparently not true. Are any of them truthful? Should be an interesting race as his opponent is a professor at the same College.

Thought I posted this but don't see it now.

BKW (Burger King Worldwide) earnings per share up 72.7% year over year. Stock price up
more than 60%. May not be record, don't know, but sure isn't shabby.
Again, what does this have to do with the BK store on the corner that is individually owned? It doesnt help him pay the payroll and if minimum wage rises then so will the price of burgers to cover the extra expense.

Again, what does this have to do with the BK store on the corner that is individually owned? It doesnt help him pay the payroll and if minimum wage rises then so will the price of burgers to cover the extra expense.
Perhaps but it would not amount to that much and I doubt it would effect their sales. My cousin in England told me that they have a separate min. wage for teenagers. That has it's draw backs however.

Lol,,,just a little bit? They want to almost double the wage. I know if my labor rate doubled my charge out rate would go up just a bit more than a little bit.

2011, the Miami-based QSR had 1,395 company owned locations. Today it has about 50. It sold off 96 percent of its locations to franchisees.

Above is info I found . I was thinking corporate owned stores would be a few more than that ! Sales would see a direct impact , and not the one a local owner operator would want to have .

Somebody mentioned that the problem isn't so much that BKW would pay 35% income tax here
and 20% in Mexico and 11 % in Ireland. The problem that creates the inversion scheme is that
the US, singularly among nations, taxes income NO MATTER WHERE YOU MAKE IT. This is
true if you are Joe Lunchbox working a year in Qatar, retired successful dude living on
Harbor island in the Bahamas (beautiful place by the way) or BKW with operations worldwide.
If you make any money, anywhere, the USofA expects you to pay tax. People are revoking
their citizenship over it too. Really.

No other country, that I am aware of, does this.

By the way, this whole thing reminds me in some way about the push for tort reform,
especially as it relates to medical stuff. The problem there is not large settlements, they
are a tiny fraction of the settlements and indeed, if some doctor kills your loved one because
he screwed up, you should be compensated. Making the maximum settlement amount
$275k (or whatever it is, that number for some reason sticks in my beer-addled brain
and I'm too lazy to look it up just now) doesn't really do much. But that is what tort
reform is always about.

The problem is that nowhere in the US (this is all state law) is "standard of care"
a defense. That is, if you Mr/Ms Doc Honcho do exactly what you were trained
to do, and something bad happens, you cannot defend yourself by showing
that you have done your best,followed the best recommended standards.

That's just stupid.

How's that for thread hijacking?

Lol the shut down was a joke. They only shut things down that would catch the attention of people, they didnt shut anything down that would have actually saved money AND not affect us.
Actually us federal employees still had to work as if nothing was going on, and we still got paid. It was less durring the shut down but the rest all got back payed so we didn't loose a dime. I don't know how that save anyone any money at all...

Lol,,,just a little bit? They want to almost double the wage. I know if my labor rate doubled my charge out rate would go up just a bit more than a little bit.
You are referring of course to the workers demanding 15 an hour not to the proposed min wage increase. There are some areas that they already receive pay of 15 an hour but those are areas of the country where the cost of living demands it and or can support it. I suppose they are asking for 15 in hopes of getting at least something!

Somebody mentioned that the problem isn't so much that BKW would pay 35% income tax here
and 20% in Mexico and 11 % in Ireland. The problem that creates the inversion scheme is that
the US, singularly among nations, taxes income NO MATTER WHERE YOU MAKE IT. This is
true if you are Joe Lunchbox working a year in Qatar, retired successful dude living on
Harbor island in the Bahamas (beautiful place by the way) or BKW with operations worldwide.
If you make any money, anywhere, the USofA expects you to pay tax. People are revoking
their citizenship over it too. Really.

No other country, that I am aware of, does this.
Right, but the U.S. also spends more on military than any other country. We spend more than China, Japan, GB, India, Saudi Arabia, Germany (there are 8 but can't remember all without looking up) all combined. If we are to support this military we also need to collect more in tax. I imagine that is why we are looked to "to police the world".

When we were looking for a home to buy property tax rates were a big part of the decision. We picked a home in the suburbs due in part to the high tax rates in the City.
That's why I chose to buy in the TOWNSHIP. No additional income tax, and fairly low/reasonable property tax...

I was going to start up a home-healthcare business. but with home health aides (unskilled labor demanding $15 an hour) that + the [not so] Affordable healthcare act makes it more difficult for a private small business to get started.....

It's not possible to pay an unskilled worker 15/hr when the government reimbursement for care provided is stringent.

I was going to start up a home-healthcare business. but with home health aides (unskilled labor demanding $15 an hour) that + the [not so] Affordable healthcare act makes it more difficult for a private small business to get started.....

It's not possible to pay an unskilled worker 15/hr when the government reimbursement for care provided is stringent.
Is that what home health aids demand? We opted out of doing Medicare Diabetic foot orthotics because it paid so low. On top of it all the paper work and restrictions are outrageous. A lot of companies did. Medicaid pays a little better.
We also stayed clear of patient care because insurance is so high plus we don't have to deal with the grumps!

Back