Stop eating Whoppers

Taxes arent the sole reason jobs go abroad. The cost of living is what drives the labor prices so low in other developing countries. That and their money is worth less than ours.

When you pay a vietnamese worker $ 0.10 an hour it is like paying somebody here $10 an hour. That is what people really dont understand. My Dads wife was from Vietnam. I know first hand the difference in cost of living. It literally costs pennies in US $ to do anything over there.

An example is Japan. Post WWII Japan went on an industrial revolution. We help them rebuild as many were out of homes and jobs. THeir cost of living was in the toilet. Everything used to be made in Japan, remember? Well they rose out of the ashes and came into the age of the 20th century. Their people earned more and demanded more until their cost of living was on par with ours. The last couple of decades if you notice the cheap stuff is now made in China, India, Vietnam ect. This is because they havent caught up with our cost of living.

While I agree completely with Timsr90, I believe this is a major driving factor that the government doesnt like the public to know about.

Funny thing is this entire thread and its original topic are void of any reality anyways. The idea that you will punish Burger King Corp for moving overseas by not buying Whoppers makes about as much sense as not buying gas at Bobby Joe's local BP station because of an oil spill in the Gulf.

Burger King restaurants are individually owned and operated franchises. (like most gas stations) They are small businesses. The owner forks out a couple million to build or buy a store, and then pays pays lots of money to Burger King, Inc. to operate as a Burger King, and have to comply with all of their standards so that any Burger King is still a Burger King. The employees at the restaurant are hired and paid by the owner. The employee paycheck comes from "Billy Joe's Food Services, Inc", dba Burger King.

Burger King, Inc. makes its money with franchise fees, paid by local restaurant owners, and all the other contractural and supply procurment deals it has with those who pay to be a franchise. The restuarant employees behind the counter are not paid by Burger King, Inc. Only those who are employed at the corporate office.

When you stop buying Whoppers from Billy Joe's Burger King, of Anytown, OH, you only hurt Billy Joe and his employees. You don't harm BK Corp. When you demand Billy joe pay a "living wage" for a minimum wage kid's job, because of "record profits", again, Burger King Corp does not share that burden, just Billy Joe. When Blly Joe works 60 hours a week to run his store, and earns $100,000 a year on his $2,000,000 investment, and decides to pay his 35 part time employees a "living wage", Billy Joe Learns that he cannot live on his wage. Is Billy joe "greedy" because he'd like to make more than his employees for his hours work, his total investment, and his money at risk?

If Burger King Corp headquarters moves to Canada, only Corp taxes will be lowered, and paid to Canada instead of the US. The only jobs that will move, are those at Corp headquarters.

Billy Joe, and all of the other Burger King franchise owners will still be here paying all of the taxes required where they operate. Billy Joe's store is incorporated, and Billy Joe's Food Services, in Anytown, OH will continue to pay US Federal corporate tax rates, Ohio Tax, and all local and property taxes even though corporate headquarters is in Canada, so you can still go by a Whopper and help a local American bsuiness without destroying America. In fact, you'll probably see products from the Horton's company being sold next to them, with the US goverment all ready to tax the hell out of them as well.

The first line of this tread. So does the "local government" have it in for the local owner?
No not at all. In fact Ohio gave corporations a big break in 2013. It was the first time I received a sizable return on our Ohio tax.
What Dave said is absolutely true but they do talk about it if you listen. It is our trade deals that kill us and in fact they recently were working another trade deal that was said to be NAFTA on steroids. It was one issue I really dislike Obama for trying to push through. The idea was to put it on a fast track and push it through without Congress catching on apparently. The only person I saw talking about it a lot was Ed Shultz on MSNBC. Although he is left wing he was really railing Obama for trying to push this through. Apparently the deal fell through, thank goodness! I didn't catch all of the details because The Ed Show is on at 5 and I am normally trying to get dinner done at that time.

The reason our local government was asking us to basically boycott Burger King is because this is the only way to fight back regardless of whether or not BK is a franchise. True of many business's the only way to let them know you are not happy with their tactics or way of doing business is to not purchase their products. It is called our free market is it not? My Tea Party brother tells me this all the time! What you just said, Tim SR90, would be true of disbanding government entities. If you closed down government offices the people working there would be out of a job adding to the unemployment. Catch 22! Look what happened when they shut down the government. Many people were hurting because they did not have a job to go to for several weeks.

No not at all. In fact Ohio gave corporations a big break in 2013. It was the first time I received a sizable return on our Ohio tax.
What Dave said is absolutely true but they do talk about it if you listen. It is our trade deals that kill us and in fact they recently were working another trade deal that was said to be NAFTA on steroids. It was one issue I really dislike Obama for trying to push through. The idea was to put it on a fast track and push it through without Congress catching on apparently. The only person I saw talking about it a lot was Ed Shultz on MSNBC. Although he is left wing he was really railing Obama for trying to push this through. Apparently the deal fell through, thank goodness! I didn't catch all of the details because The Ed Show is on at 5 and I am normally trying to get dinner done at that time.

The reason our local government was asking us to basically boycott Burger King is because this is the only way to fight back regardless of whether or not BK is a franchise. True of many business's the only way to let them know you are not happy with their tactics or way of doing business is to not purchase their products. It is called our free market is it not? My Tea Party brother tells me this all the time! What you just said, Tim SR90, would be true of disbanding government entities. If you closed down government offices the people working there would be out of a job adding to the unemployment. Catch 22! Look what happened when they shut down the government. Many people were hurting because they did not have a job to go to for several weeks.

You replied while I was making my post more fun.
Who in government is asking you to stay away from Burger King?
And no one was really hurt in the government shutdown. Lots of whining though.

You replied while I was making my post more fun.
Who in government is asking you to stay away from Burger King?
And no one was really hurt in the government shutdown. Lots of whining though.
There have been numerous calls for banning the eating of whoppers even by Republicans. Do you ever watch the news? But the deal is not yet set in stone..who knows perhaps just the threat will make them think twice. Thus far BK has denied they are going to move their corporate headquarters from Florida to Canada.
No one was hurt? Really. I know workers were compensated afterwards but can you survive with NO paycheck for weeks? I know I could but there are many that can not. You must listen to too much Right wing shows. Gosh even on Fox they talked about how bad the shut down was and you can't get much further right.

There have been numerous calls for banning the eating of whoppers even by Republicans. Do you ever watch the news? But the deal is not yet set in stone..who knows perhaps just the threat will make them think twice. Thus far BK has denied they are going to move their corporate headquarters from Florida to Canada.
No one was hurt? Really. I know workers were compensated afterwards but can you survive with NO paycheck for weeks? I know I could but there are many that can not. You must listen to too much Right wing shows. Gosh even on Fox they talked about how bad the shut down was and you can't get much further right.

Who would find the manpower to barricade open air monuments to keep WWII veterans out during the shutdown? The attempt to hurt the veterans and place blame was thwarted though as troops broke though to visit their monuments. No big deal, they saved the entire world a lifetime ago.

image.jpg

Again, who in government asked you to boycott BK? It's a simple question.

Lol the shut down was a joke. They only shut things down that would catch the attention of people, they didnt shut anything down that would have actually saved money AND not affect us.

So targeting the livelihood of a small business that has no say in a corporation he has a contract with is okay because "this is the only way they know how to fight back"?

Sounds exactly like what the looters said in Ferguson, MO.

Government shutdown = Paid vacation

Government job salaries are paid by taxpayers. Burger King salaries are paid by private business. To suggest that a taxpayer paycheck for a goverment job that is not needed saves the taxpayer on unemployment costs may be true for the accountant who separates the funds, but not very true for the taxpayer who pays them.

The first time I heard about the story was in an interview with Sherrod Brown..does that answer your question. That being said others, including some Republicans have voiced the same. I have made it no secret that during the day, while working, I listen to Morning Joe on MSNBC, who is a Republican and in the evening I often watch Fox News after I retire to bed. It puts me to sleep! Sometimes Hannity, Bill O"Reilly and if still awake Megan Kelly. I like Ed Shultz on MSNBC who discus's a lot of work related issues but often I am trying to get dinner. I read a lot that my brothers send me but since my brother Matt is a politician of sorts in California it is normally local stuff...what happens first in CA often spreads across the country.
We could discuss this forever. I don't eat BK so no sweat off me. I feel it is a personal issue of sorts...if you feel it is OK for a company to do business in the U.S. and enjoy all that the U.S offers but pay their taxes elsewhere so be it. Or, as Dave pointed out, reside here in the U.S. because you enjoy all it has to offer but take your business to other countries just so you can reap larger rewards by using cheap labor, which often includes somewhat questionable practices that we here in the U.S. would find repulsive, then so be it. Continue to watch our economy fail.

Who would find the manpower to barricade open air monuments to keep WWII veterans out during the shutdown? The attempt to hurt the veterans and place blame was thwarted though as troops broke though to visit their monuments. No big deal, they saved the entire world a lifetime ago.

image.jpg

Again, who in government asked you to boycott BK? It's a simple question.
This happened because normally before a shut down Congress would put in place exceptions,so to speak, as to what would be shut down. Some parts of government are automatically protected others are not. Since they did not do this many parts were unintentionally shut down...Obama stuck to his guns and allowed all to be shut down even the National parks. Was he wrong, perhaps, but he made his point.

Okay, then where did you get your information that Burger King is raking in "record profits"?

Earnings per share are up 72.7% year over year. Share price up 69%

Maybe not record profits but mighty good. Perhaps you should do some research before accusing people of

Your throw in all those red herring liberal buzz words of "zero taxes" and "record profits", and we are talking specifically about Burger King.

Awhile back someone on here posted a comment (steel city thread I believe) on here in regards to be careful who you vote for. Democrat or Republican should really not make a difference in some situations. What brought this to my attention was, as many may know, Eric Cantor who was second to Speaker in the house lost to an unknown newbie in his primary. Came as quite a surprise but apparently he was not paying much attention to his state and he paid the price. He graciously stepped down from his post early and gave a wonderful speech stating he would continue to champion the people from his state yada yada yada. He recently took a position working in high finance banking to the tune of 3.5 mil a year....so who do you suppose he was supporting..certainly not the people of his state. He was a Tea Party favorite. The moral of the story is yes, be careful. It is OK to cross party lines to vote for the right person. So nice being an Independent and not having to answer or feel obligated to either side. The only reason I bring this up is I am accused of using liberal buzz words when in fact I split my time and efforts listening and reading on both sides of the coin. They may be liberal buzz words but I did not say anything that anyone with a little time can not look up to validate.

Thank you Sturd for the info on BK.

The Obama administration shut down the vet's monument. A move that required extra effort and was entirely at the president's discretion.

You are correct, our problems are more than just republican versus democrat. The first chapter of Ameritopia begins an explanation.

http://www.marklevinshow.com/upload/Docs/Ameritopiach1.pdf
That may be true but as I said all that could have been avoided if Congress had crossed all their T's and dotted all their I's prior to shutting the government down. It was poorly planned and it bit them in the butt. Although the government has shut down before it seems it has never really boded well for those responsible. The same is true of impeachment. Politics can make your head spin. I have heard it said that although politicians may start out with the best intentions it is difficult to stay clean once in office. Even with the case against VIrginia's governor , McDonnell. He started out a very good person but with little money. Then once in office and hob nobbing with those of better means made it difficult for him. I think he is guilty as hell but I feel badly for him.

Earnings per share are up 72.7% year over year. Share price up 69%

Maybe not record profits but mighty good. Perhaps you should do some research before accusing people of

Yes, this is concrete proof that Footlogic thoroughly researched the "record profits" comment before posting it.

Since you have done all this research maybe you can explain how Burger King Corp's earning affect Billy Joe's BK restaurant on in Anytown, OH that he can afford to double his payroll costs.

Then you can explain the numbers you posted. What time period is that, and what period are you comparing it to. 72 percent of WHAT? 69% of WHAT? Then you can can explain the difference between basic earnings per share, and diluted earnings per share which is what you came closer to quoting. Then I'm sure you can explain who the daily value of stock is NOT an indication of profitability, and that BK stock value jumped as a result of the merger with the Canadian Tim Horton chain. I'm sure you also understand that this whole ginned up controversy which was orchestrated by politicians looking to divert attention away from their inability to reform the corporate tax structure was based on the common sense idea that when two corporations merge, they only need one corporate HQ, and Canada has a lower corporate tax rate, and does not confiscate earning made foreign countries.

Very complicated, most people don't understand it all, including me, which is why politicians like to make bogus accusations that people can't understand the refute.

file:///C:/Users/TimSr/Downloads/BK_Q214_Results_Press_Release%20(1).pdf

Second Quarter 2014 Highlights:
 System-wide sales increased 5.4% in constant currency
 Global comparable sales increased 0.9% in constant currency with growth across all four regions
 Adjusted EBITDA increased 13.3% on an organic basis to $182.8 million
 Adjusted Diluted EPS increased 19.1% to $0.25 per share
 Net restaurant growth of 131, a 4.8% increase from the prior year
 Raised dividend to $0.08 per share for the third quarter of 2014

BK stock is around $32. If you invested $10,000 in Burger King stock you would get 312 shares. You made 65.62 for this last quarter, or more likely got 2 more shares of stock. BK stock value has risen to $32 from $19. You only get to realize that "profit" if you sell it while at that value. Then you pay capital gains tax on it.

Again, what the hell does any of this have to do with Billy Joe's BK restaurant, and the wages he can afford to pay?

That may be true but as I said all that could have been avoided if Congress had crossed all their T's and dotted all their I's prior to shutting the government down. It was poorly planned and it bit them in the butt. Although the government has shut down before it seems it has never really boded well for those responsible. The same is true of impeachment. Politics can make your head spin. I have heard it said that although politicians may start out with the best intentions it is difficult to stay clean once in office. Even with the case against VIrginia's governor , McDonnell. He started out a very good person but with little money. Then once in office and hob nobbing with those of better means made it difficult for him. I think he is guilty as hell but I feel badly for him.

If a financing bill is not passed, govt automatically shuts down. It's always been a game to figure out how to get the other party blamed for it, when as the house, the senate, or the president can individually make it happen. Typically, whichever of these 3 bodies is held by republicans will get blamed, because that is how the media will report it. The House passed multiple spending bills to cover everything but Obamacare. The senate refused to bring them up unless they were written exactly as the president wanted. The final bill passed by the House had EVERYTHING the president wanted EXCEPT it delayed the individual mandate on Obamacare for one year. Then it shut down, the House republicans got blamed, and conscious efforts, and manpower were authorized by the administration to harm people and make them suffer because the House republicans were getting blamed. Putting cones up to close the road berm in front of Mt Rushmore? Barricading statues? Come on???!!! Then the repubs caved and after passing the same bill, but not including the individual mandate, the senate passed it, and the president sign ed. Then a couple weeks later, the PRESIDENT delayed the individual mandate for ene year by imperial authority. You are right. It was SOOOOO unnecessary.

Awhile back someone on here posted a comment (steel city thread I believe) on here in regards to be careful who you vote for. Democrat or Republican should really not make a difference in some situations. What brought this to my attention was, as many may know, Eric Cantor who was second to Speaker in the house lost to an unknown newbie in his primary. Came as quite a surprise but apparently he was not paying much attention to his state and he paid the price. He graciously stepped down from his post early and gave a wonderful speech stating he would continue to champion the people from his state yada yada yada. He recently took a position working in high finance banking to the tune of 3.5 mil a year....so who do you suppose he was supporting..certainly not the people of his state. He was a Tea Party favorite. The moral of the story is yes, be careful. It is OK to cross party lines to vote for the right person. So nice being an Independent and not having to answer or feel obligated to either side. The only reason I bring this up is I am accused of using liberal buzz words when in fact I split my time and efforts listening and reading on both sides of the coin. They may be liberal buzz words but I did not say anything that anyone with a little time can not look up to validate.

Thank you Sturd for the info on BK.

You were 100% right on this one until yo said "He was a Tea Party favorite." If you are implying that Cantor lost because he was supported by the Tea Party you are 100% wrong on both counts. The Tea Party NEVER supported Cantor, and he was in fact, defeated by the Tea Party challenger Dave Brat

Thought I posted this but don't see it now.

BKW (Burger King Worldwide) earnings per share up 72.7% year over year. Stock price up
more than 60%. May not be record, don't know, but sure isn't shabby.

Back