DC vet championship.

weaver658

PR Member
High point is having the dc vet championship oct 11, I've never been to this event. I've heard the turn out has been low past few year. Has anyone on here been to it and is it worth attending. Thanks

I've raced it about a dozen or so times. Used to be the "must do" event of the season for many of us, but it has slipped from that in recent years.

Still a fun event but the turnout is lower than in the past. I may hit it this year, not sure yet. I enjoy bringing an old bike with me too for racing in the "pre-" classes.

I'm making the trip back this year after a 2 year hiatus. It's fun, and reminds me alot of Vet Nat'l at Scenic. I never go with great expectations of the track, just having a good time, and seeing some old buddies.

2014VetNational-768x1024.jpg

copied from high point's site:

Saturday
DC Vet National

8a – Registration
9a – Practice
ASAP – Racing After Practice

Race Fee – $35/per class

Membership – no memberships required.

I raced it in 2010, 2011, and 2012. Classes aren't as big as Red Bud Vet Fest, but it's still usually a fun event. I can say that the track won't be prepped anywhere near as nice as it is for National weekend, but the race is later in the season this year, so maybe weather will help a bit. They used to require AMA membership, but I see they've dropped that for this year. Probably an effort to boost rider turnout. I might hit it again this year.

I wonder if that is a typo and it is supposed to be a 2 stroke class? Why would there be a 4 stroke class?

Vet National Classes
Age 25+ A, B, C
Age 30+ A, B, C
Age 35+ A, B, C
Age 40+ A, B, C
Age 45+ A, B/C
Age 50+
Age 55+
Four-Stroke
Vintage Pre 1995 (25+)
Vintage Pre 1990 (25+)
Vintage Pre 1985 (25+)
Vintage Pre 1978 (25+)

I think they run the "4-stroke" class to give the +25's a second class to run. They should just call it OPEN.

1601.jpg
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Media Contact:
Jen Kenyon
media@mxsports.com
304-284-0101

DC Vet National Championship Returns to High Point Raceway on Oct. 11

Saturday's Vet National Also Hosts Activities for the Entire Family

MORGANTOWN, W. Va. (October 2, 2014) - The 24th Annual DC Vet National Championship returns to Mt. Morris, Pennsylvania on Saturday, Oct. 11 for a 'throwback' of epic proportions as the veterans of motocross are set to take over the legendary High Point Raceway for a fun-filled day of racing.

"DC" was Big Dave Coombs, one of the most influential motorcycle enthusiasts in the history of motocross and off-road racing. Together with his wife and partner Rita, from their home in Morgantown, West Virginia, Coombs was the driving force behind the creation of motocross and off-road motorcycle racing as we know it today. To honor Big Dave's passion and commitment to the veteran motocross community, Saturday's Vet Motocross National offers classes for riders age 25 and over, 30+, 35+, 40+, 45+, 50+ and 55+ with a variety of options for all different skill levels, but perhaps the most exciting spectacle will be the Vintage bike classes, where riders over the age of 25 can race their vintage bikes in the following classes: pre-1995, pre-1990, pre-1985 and pre-1978.

In addition to all the action on the racetrack, the weekend will boast entertainment for all members of the family. Everyone who signs up to race on Saturday will receive a commemorative DC Vet National t-shirt for being a part of this special weekend.

1600.jpg

The vintage t-shirt contest brings back great memories for all, so bring your favorites out!

Photo: Andrew Fredrickson

The vintage t-shirt contest is back again this year and all you have to do is bring your favorite old school race tee and show it to the registration team on Saturday morning to enter yourself a chance to win some cool prizes. They will choose a winner during intermission, which means you need to get your picture taken before the first set of motos is complete. We've also added a few new contests to the lineup, including the oldest race program, the furthest-traveled competitor and the oldest competitor. If you are in the running for any of those things, check with the ladies at registration for more information on how to enter.

The winner of each category will receive a free one-year subscription to Racer X Illustrated, in addition to two (2) all day pit passes for the High Point National in 2015. And for being so awesome, the oldest competitor will actually receive two (2) VIP Super Passes.

If you're not into racing your vintage bike but you still want to be a part of the festivities, you can set it out for display at the Vintage Bike Show, taking place alongside the "Swap Meet," where everyone is encouraged to bring out any vintage gear and race items to sell, swap and barter.

On Saturday evening, High Point Raceway will host a karaoke session beginning at 6 p.m., along with a hot dog and hamburger cookout for everyone. There will also be a special showing of "The John Penton Story," followed by a camp fire - welcoming families to bring marshmallows and s'mores to enjoy all evening long.

1599.jpg

The vintage t-shirt contest will be judged during intermission.

Photo: Andrew Fredrickson

As professional motocross privateer-turned-event-promoter, Big Dave Coombs was the co-founder of not only High Point Raceway and Steel City Raceway, but the AMA Amateur National Motocross Championships at Loretta Lynn Ranch, the Grand National Cross Country Series (GNCC), the National Promoters Group (NPG), the ATVA Grand National Championships, the fabled Blackwater 100, and much, much more. His legacy extended to the foundation of MX Sports Pro Racing, organizers of the Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship, as well as Racer Productions, Racer X Illustrated and Racer X Online. Big Dave Coombs passed on August 3, 1998 after losing his battle with leukemia. He was 57 years old.

Registration for the Vet Motocross National begins at 8 a.m. on Saturday. For a detailed list of Vet National classes, please click HERE.

Following Saturday's Vet MX National, High Point Raceway will host the PAMX Fly Racing PA State Championship on Sunday, which serves as round two of the "In the Blood Triple Crown."

Registration for the PA State Championship begins at 7 a.m. on Sunday, followed by practice at 8:30 a.m. and racing immediately following practice. For a detailed list of PAMX classes, please click HERE.

Also taking place on Sunday is round seven of the New East Coast Cross Country Series (NECXC) through the woods of High Point Raceway. Registration for the XC race begins at 8 a.m. and the start times are listed HERE. There are classes available for most ages and skill levels, on both motorcycles and ATVs. For a complete list of classes, click HERE.

Admission is $10 per day and children under 6 are FREE. For more information on the entire race weekend, please visit www.racerproductions.com.

spacer.gif
spacer.gif

Hey Sharc How are you doing?
You healed up ready to moto?
Was thinking of heading over
Hey TPMX!
Unfortunately I will be there just as a spectator / cheering.
I’m still in the wheelchair 24/7. Just now I’m able to but a little pressure on it for a few steps….nothing great. After that, it swells up, feels like a hinge and aches the rest of the day. Making small progress though.
If we get some good participation from the Ohio guys it may make this Vet event worth hitting again.
Let’s all give it another shot….

Back