Anyone Looking for a Job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The government decides. If you have a workers comp policy like you are supposed to, one of the ways to get a discount is called " The drug free workplace". Not only that but if your company does work that receives government money in most cases you are REQUIRED to be in the Drug free workplace program. That means employees are subject to random drug testing. They are required to pass a drug test prior to being hired. And in all worker comp claims the first thing they do is drug test you.

This isn't true. You've got the google-foo, go check.
Unless you are in the transportation industry or a contractor for the defense department or NASA, there is
no such requirement.

We are certified to an ISO medical device standard and there is a requirement for a procedure for
personnel and training. This is the place where large companies with pussies for managers require
drug testing. Ours specifically calls out that we don't do drug testing but drug use on
the job is prohibited.

As for workman's comp,Basic level Ohio Drug Free Safety Program does not require testing, does require
procedures for reasonable suspicion, post accident, return to work,etc. Advanced level requires 15% random
testing, something nobody in their right mind does for a warehouse worker. Also requires pre-employment testing
but you need both to get Advanced level.

So my all knowing Sturd, it is the government who decides in those cases.

You need to start checking before you post. That's not true, at least not for a warehouse worker moving
brake shoe boxes around. And very few positions in all have any such requirement. Companies do it
because they aren't smart enough to figure out the real requirements and they are scared of ambulance
chasers.

In my experience if an employee is smoking weed or an alcoholic on his time he is on mine too.

The best CNC setup guy I've ever met is a weed head. On his time. The most savvy nanoparticle researcher I've ever
met is a weed head. On his time. The best percussionist in cleveland (maybe anywhere) is a weed head. On his time.
You're suspicions maybe true for some people but it's not for many people that smoke weed on occasion,
often enough to flunk a follicle test. That portion of the working public will never work for you, your
problem I suppose.

Hopefully Mike rethinks his issue though, he's probably passing up a bunch of good employees.[/QUOTE]

Well I'm not sure where you get your info but the work place program I enrolled my company required testing. I have quoted and been awarded many prevailing wage jobs that required us to be enrolled in the same drug free work place program. But I'm sure I must be "google" misinformed.

We hire Operators, Teamsters, and Laborers at our company. If someone comes to work who can't pass a drug test, the liability is just too great to keep them. I don't care what someone does in their own time, but they are going to have to do it working for somebody else. We are not going to lose all that we built because somebody wanted to get high.

We hire Operators, Teamsters, and Laborers at our company. If someone comes to work who can't pass a drug test, the liability is just too great to keep them. I don't care what someone does in their own time, but they are going to have to do it working for somebody else. We are not going to lose all that we built because somebody wanted to get high.
How about if they wanted to have a few drinks? After work that is. Is that OK?

As long as they can pass a breathalyzer test in the morning. All our works are 100% union members. The union backs us 100%.

Hershey in no time..... lol

I know many people who smoke weed and A. You'd never know it. And B. I don't care.. but in my case if it meant getting a better paying job to support my family, I'd damn sure not be smoking weed.. that was my point.. if your a lucky stoner and have a good paying safe job, more power to ya if that floats your boat..

You breathalyzer everybody every morning?

Funny! We can if we have to and if they are hung over they are sent home.

We hate to do this stuff, but if someone is involved in an accident and they have a controlled substance in their blood or urine we are responsible for them. It is our responsibility to provide to our employees and the public a safe work environment.

Last edited:
I get the drug test, that makes sense. BUT!! IMO-- a persons' credit report would be alot more informative to me than the drug test. When was the last time you saw somebody on pills, crack, or heroin that was current with their financial obligations? (I don't drink alcohol, or use drugs myself, and don't advocate those activities just for the record). I wonder why that isn't generally part of the employment screening? --L*64

Hershey in no time..... lol

I know many people who smoke weed and A. You'd never know it. And B. I don't care.. but in my case if it meant getting a better paying job to support my family, I'd damn sure not be smoking weed.. that was my point.. if your a lucky stoner and have a good paying safe job, more power to ya if that floats your boat..

Lmao.....I know many people who smoke weed and A. They always say you dont know but you do. and B. I dont care.....unless they work for me and drive my vehicles, go to my customers and wire/ repair electrical systems that I am ultimately responsible for. My liability ins provider wont allow it, the gov through the bureau of workers comp doesnt allow it and I dont.

As for the credit issue.....are you effing kidding me? One of the best employees Ive ever had had a credit score that was always in the toilet. He didnt have a drug problem. Have you never heard of a functional alcoholic? Ive seen them in action, perfect credit, no problems making it to work every day. .....Thats like the insurance companies saying you are a driving risk if your credit stinks.....which they do.

For my job you have to pass a credit check, it's just as important as the drug test. Actually they have been known to give a failed drug test a second chance as long as the back ground and credit history are good.

Hershey, I only said that because I figured you would dig into the union comment.. nothing more.. lol

Sure, LuckyStar64 doesn't drink....ANYMORE. Boy did we have some crazy times back when he did......I guess now that I think about it back then neither of us were very good at holding jobs either!

Last edited:
Hey sturd, just to be clear in my situation, I don't set the company policy on drug testing for any level of my employees. The company that employs me and entrusts me to follow their policies as a function of my continuing employment, does. Their drug testing thresholds for rejecting an applicant are very uniform and they approve the testing facilities that I have to subject my candidates to.

My little world of commerce is part of a multi-billion dollar entity (and the one that also owns MXFreedoms employer, Lubrizol) that has way more experience with the consequences of dealing with workplace accidents concerning people found to be under the influence.

Sure, I can hire a squeaky clean employee that passed all the tests last month that has just become a heroin addict last weekend. But, that is a different situation.

Your flexibility in being your own boss is distinctly different than my situation. That is my panacea.

BTW. I like your sig: Go fast. Take chances.

It works on the track, but not in my business! lol.

Hey sturd, just to be clear in my situation, I don't set the company policy on drug testing for any level of my employees. The company that employs me and entrusts me to follow their policies as a function of my continuing employment, does. Their drug testing thresholds for rejecting an applicant are very uniform and they approve the testing facilities that I have to subject my candidates to.

My little world of commerce is part of a multi-billion dollar entity (and the one that also owns MXFreedoms employer, Lubrizol) that has way more experience with the consequences of dealing with workplace accidents concerning people found to be under the influence.

Sure, I can hire a squeaky clean employee that passed all the tests last month that has just become a heroin addict last weekend. But, that is a different situation.

Your flexibility in being your own boss is distinctly different than my situation. That is my panacea.

BTW. I like your sig: Go fast. Take chances.

It works on the track, but not in my business! lol.

We are tested one time, once before employment.. Other then that we are only tested if we are in some type of work related injury. There was talk of random tests being conducted here, but we haven't seen anything of the sort yet. Considering the Chemicals we handle here on the a daily basis, I wouldn't at all be mad about random testing for all employees here with the nature of our work.. Especially the ones on our Fire Department. trusted driving the fire truck, and rescuing others if there is some sort of spill or emergency

In my 33 working years, probably the worst violators that I have seen of substance abuse or boozing were the business owners, or their employed family members.
We just had a local contractor/owner pass away earlier this spring, mid 40's..... Substance abuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back